Two new pics.

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I don't need to link you...or do I.

www.halflife2.net

There. :)

Ok now, idk about you guys, but I think that zombie picture looks better than anything I played during doom 3. This goes to show the graphics are no where near dated. Just look at the attention to detail. And knowing valve, they probably have like half the features off and running dx 8 like they always do. :p

I don't understand what about it doesn't look very good? I never knew prisons were beautiful anyway...

I wonder why Valve doesn't care about IQ, and I mean stuff like FSAA and AF (especially AF isn't a heavy extra load and makes the image much nicer)

But not much to say here, own the magazines in which these were already in.

The images didn't impress me. But everytime I see a shit Half-Life 2 screenie, I just look back at the beta - I was impressed!

Did anyone else notice the health bar, it has changed and there is no armour bar next to it usually it says HEV but it isn't there.

There's definately no aa or af on in those shots. You can tell. And I'm almost positive thats DX 8.

They look fair enough. This is not enough to quench my thirst for the game! DO YOU HEAR ME GABE!!!! IT IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!

noobs theres no aa or af and it looks like its in dx8 mode. sigh....

i hate you guys sometimes :(

guinny said:
noobs theres no aa or af and it looks like its in dx8 mode. sigh....

i hate you guys sometimes :(

Who the **** cares. We're not saying the game looks like shit, we're saying the pictures do.

Defenitly no AA/AF in these screens, but I can't say if it's dx8 or dx9, since the differences, at least for me, are hard to spot.

that fire in the second pic looks SHIT on the arm anyways, its like only where the arm would be, not on all of it.

Honestly you'd think if they had glitches with the game that they'd take a screenshot that doesn't show a glitch :O

Must not get angry at people for not reading the news thread, must not get angry at people not reading the news thread.

People these screens are old. The only reason they are on this site is that this is the first time they are legally on the web and not in a magazine.

Horrible shots.

They seem very old - the old antlion models are there, so calm down everyone - the actual game might not be like that.

The zombie one also looks like utter crap, I mean are those zombies floating in the air? - really shitty.

The only thing good in those shots, is the watermark for hl2.net - that at least gives some hope that the new site design is better.

I do hope valve has fixed those areas in the actual game, art direction or not - those screens really look like Quake 3. This is 2004, not 1999.

Wow, some of you are really really negative....

Come on guys, we all know what HL2 looks like by now. It looks great. Individual shots dont make a game. :)

Well if you have 60 screenshots per second, that you have yourself a game :).

Mmmm, just look at the e3 2004 video, the game has improved so much compared to these screens. These screens are just released for content not graphical scrutiny.

ooh, how topical.

I quite like the zombie screen it's a little bland but makes it look kind of cool, neither look as good as d3 in my opinion but they never are going to with old screens taken from a sub game potential build.

The combine fighting shot looks an awful lot like another combine shot, so it's not really that great.

I am glad we got them but i'm getting a taste for having the game now, plus i get my 6800 tomorrow along with the rest of my new comp.

They look shitty because they where probably taken on system using a Geforce FX card.

And heck, look at the second picture. It has the graphical ammo display around the crosshairs. That picture is about as old as the original bink videos.

To be perfectly honest.

I agree with lans, The zombies are walking on air.

the shadow on the rock flying in the first one is cut off. these screens ****ing blow. the game looks worse and worse every screen i see. the super old ones that they released at last years e3 were sick as hell compared to these new ones. Im losing interest every time i see something new.

OOOOOOH MY GOOOOOOOOD!!!! THE ALIASING ... ITS, .... ITS ... BURNING MY EYES!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! Well first of all ... Not only is the AA/AF all the way dooowwwwnnnn ... The texture settings are on LOW ... Look at the usp ... no texture to it at ALL ... that usp looks like garbage ... why?? because teh texture setttings must be on uber uber low ...

BaNDiT said:
the shadow on the rock flying in the first one is cut off. these screens ****ing blow. the game looks worse and worse every screen i see. the super old ones that they released at last years e3 were sick as hell compared to these new ones. Im losing interest every time i see something new.

Bwhahaha i spit on your opinion as the most invalid and nonsensical thing i have seen written for at least 5 minutes. How the hell are screen shots dictating your likelihood of purchasing the game, even when you know (or should know) that these aren't the latest screens and there are far better ones. Your post wastes space and time.

Those screen shots are just very low quality, stfu about the graphics sucking

...and how do you know it's low quality?

Think realistically - would valve give a magazine a POS quality shot for printing? - even if it's a comparison shot I'd like to see what the better version looks like. I'm not able to form an opinion on the graphics for this game - some screens are just amazing and then there are which look plain fugly.

Rupertvdb, i will deffinitely still buy the game, and i still think it will be the best game out, im just saying that the screens dont impress me, although you're right i have seen far better ones, but i dont see why valve releases shitty screens.

....i despair. It is a next gen game, why for the love of god why do people gripe about the graphics.

Valve have said to get top results you'll need a decent graphics card, processor, ram. They are making a game to compete with the market. Reviewers have raved about the graphics. We have seen videos that have amazing graphics. Screens are not representative of how games end up looking.

What evidence are you people finding in your skewed minds that suggests you should have concern about the game's graphics?

lans said:
...and how do you know it's low quality?

Think realistically - would valve give a magazine a POS quality shot for printing? - even if it's a comparison shot I'd like to see what the better version looks like. I'm not able to form an opinion on the graphics for this game - some screens are just amazing and then there are which look plain fugly.

Haven't you seen the e32k4 binks? Trainstation, and the apartment one are enough for me to know this game looks amazing. If some not-so-good screenshots are released, does that mean the game looks like crap? Of course it doesn't.

YAY! 2 more SS for us to look at while they delay the game till november so they MAKE MORE MONEY. Go straigh to hell.

Back