uni aint all it's cracked up...

Its pointless to say that going to a university is either vital or unimportant. It depends on your aspirations and what you want to do as a career in life.

You're right, there are alot of very good jobs you can get without going to a university. Therefore, saying its vital to go to a university isn't necessarily true.

However, there are also alot of other jobs that do require some form of study and degree in, such as the medical field. You simply can't succeed in the profession without a degree to show that you know what you're doing.

So really, it all depends on your career choice.

Well, yes. I did qualify the statement by pointing out there are exceptions. But many people these days would have you believe that you're going to work in McDonalds for the rest of your life, or maybe make supervisor unless you go to university. It's just not true. In fact, I'd wager that the majority of ridiculously successful people on this planet do not have a university education. I think Richard Branson dropped out of school at 14.

It's also an awesome experience that no amount of money can buy you at any future point in your life, and like everyone else here that's been to Uni, i'd do it again in a heartbeat. If all you want from life is money, then fair enough.

I generally don't like students or studying. Pretty much a deal-breaker for me.
If I wanted an awesome experience, I'd go and teach EFL in China. Which I would have done if I didn't get this job.
If I'm successful in my career, I will be able to work practically anywhere in the world that I desire within a few years. That's the kind of opportunity and awesome experience a degree won't buy you.

I pretty much agree with most of this, except the earning truckloads of money part.
Having an education helps of course, there's no denying that, but it isn't essential to success.

Believe it or not, charisma and "knowing people" are big factors in scoring a job. Experience is another major one, and it doesn't have to be from work. The way mod makers get jobs in the gaming industry applies to other fields as well.

They sure are. Especially in sales industries.
Although in my case, and admittedly this is not representative of the status quo, I believe having no university education and only 3 GCSEs (long story) has been an advantage for me with regards to gaining employment in my chosen line of work. I can show that I come from the "school of life", which immediately sets me apart from all the graduates out there.

The trusty ol' internet is a huge resource of knowledge that you can soak up, get some kind of certification, and get a job. Chances are this will be a bit harder than being properly taught, but it can potentially save yourself thousands of dollars, just takes a bit of effort. It may not be what you want, right away, but then you'll have experience to help you land the better job.

Yup, also true.
I think the problem with this generation is a lack of patience and delusions about their own importance. Most people seem to think that so long as they have a "good education", they're king. Regardless of what personal qualities or abilities they lack. They'll be given huge responsibility and autonomy in their first job and have the chance to change the course of the organisation right from the start.
Not. A. Chance.

repiV, this isn't the 'university is vital' debate. That was another thread and and think you bored us sufficiently in that discussion, thanks.

Actually, this thread did turn into a "university is vital" debate. If I was boring you, then shut up. Noone is forcing you to participate. Nor are you speaking for anyone except yourself.

If it were allowed, i'd start a 'Is repiV an arrogant cock?' poll thread, just so demonstrate the effect this thread has had on your reputation, repiV.

If only it were allowed.

If it were allowed, i'd start a 'Is repiV an arrogant cock?' poll thread, just so demonstrate the effect this thread has had on your reputation, repiV.

If only it were allowed.

That was a bit uncalled for imho

If only it were allowed.

There's a big difference between being arrogant and being a winner.
You don't like that I hold people to high standards, and dislike lazy people with no work ethic and people with delusions of entitlement? Tough.

Nah, I just dislike arrogant cocks. I'm all for hardworking people, they get what they deserve. Like you I hate lazy people that expect everything. What sickens me the most is lazy people that win the lottery then act like they deserve what they get.

Trying to elevate yourself over people who took different choices to you (i.e. went to University for further education) is nothing but arrogant. Everyone makes their choices based on what they want from life, just as you do.

Nah, I just dislike arrogant cocks. I'm all for hardworking people, they get what they deserve. Like you I hate lazy people that expect everything. What sickens me the most is lazy people that win the lottery then act like they deserve what they get.

Trying to elevate yourself over people who took different choices to you (i.e. went to University for further education) is nothing but arrogant. Everyone makes their choices based on what they want from life, just as you do.

I'm not trying to elevate myself over people who went to university. Where on earth did you get that idea from?

I don't know, maybe it's just something you said.

repiV said:
I think the problem with this generation is a lack of patience and delusions about their own importance. Most people seem to think that so long as they have a "good education", they're king. Regardless of what personal qualities or abilities they lack. They'll be given huge responsibility and autonomy in their first job and have the chance to change the course of the organisation right from the start.
Not. A. Chance.

I don't know, maybe it's just something you said.

This generation is quite possibly the laziest, most arrogant generation in recent history. Making demands when they have nothing to offer. Wanting but never being able to deliver. Little respect or knowledge of their place. Me, me, me, now, now, now.
I was simply referencing that mentality and how it applies to the significant numbers of people who come out of university thinking they are god, yet having little understanding of reality.

Chavs have that attitude, most people I met at University don't. If you graduate University then you know how to do hard work.

I think you should go to University just so you can actually see that hard work is required to graduate - people drop out of University for a reason, you know.

Chavs have that attitude, most people I met at University don't. If you graduate University then you know how to do hard work.

I think you should go to University just so you can actually see that hard work is required to graduate - people drop out of University for a reason, you know.

I know that hard work is required. That's not my point. My point is that when they get into the working world, people often have ridiculously over-inflated expectations and opinions of themselves. Hard work doesn't start and end with university.

No offence, but there's only one person in this thread with a seriously over inflated opinion of himself.

If taking pride in my accomplishments is having a seriously overinflated opinion of myself, then I dread to think what you consider to be a low opinion of oneself.

This thread makes Baby Goatse cry! Lets kiss and make up.

I'll bring the camera.

Wow repiV, ive read what you out in 2 threads so far, and youve created an argument in both. Is niiiiiice...

At the end of the day though, what you put into Uni you get out. You work hard, you get a good degree. You party, you have an amazing social life and love every night as your account balance drops into the overdraft (you DO have one dont you? good). Do both and you have the time of your life AND get a decent job after.

Pick a course thats too hard for you, all you're doing is giving the Uni money.

I go to classes every day including saturdays, for 8 hours a day (4 hour lecture, 4 hour lab for two different classes a month). Its a 24 hour school, so I have classes at absurd times. For example, today I have a physics lecture at 5pm to 9pm, then lab from 9pm to 1am. Then I have another lecture at 9am to 1pm, and then lab from 1pm to 5pm.

Additionally this is an accelerated course (a 4yr bachlors degree in 2 years) so my physics course is actually 2 and a half semesters of physics from another school... in one month. I am taking the two hardest classes in the whole course (my production modeling class has a 80% fail rate, and physics is like 50%) at the same time right now with shitty hours which means very little sleep.

And I ****ing love it.

I go to classes every day including saturdays, for 8 hours a day (4 hour lecture, 4 hour lab for two different classes a month). Its a 24 hour school, so I have classes at absurd times. For example, today I have a physics lecture at 5pm to 9pm, then lab from 9pm to 1am. Then I have another lecture at 9am to 1pm, and then lab from 1pm to 5pm.

Additionally this is an accelerated course (a 4yr bachlors degree in 2 years) so my physics course is actually 2 and a half semesters of physics from another school... in one month. I am taking the two hardest classes in the whole course (my production modeling class has a 80% fail rate, and physics is like 50%) at the same time right now with shitty hours which means very little sleep.

And I ****ing love it.

Sounds crazy! But good for you. Be sure to make a point about how intensive your course is when you go for a job.

yeah repiV, i don't think people have a high expectation of what's going to happen after uni. plus alot of people work hard, i for example have to work part time during uni and full time during holidays in order to pay for uni. hey, you live in north london! me too, i'm highbury and i work there too, in a shop in upper street in islington. cray-zay! come and buy stuff and fund my education

yeah repiV, i don't think people have a high expectation of what's going to happen after uni. plus alot of people work hard, i for example have to work part time during uni and full time during holidays in order to pay for uni. hey, you live in north london! me too, i'm highbury and i work there too, in a shop in upper street in islington. cray-zay! come and buy stuff and fund my education

I'm much further north than that. Stanmore. :)
It resembles Hertfordshire much more than London. In fact it's only been part of London for 40 years.

Nope, you stuck your oar in and changed the direction of the thread.

So changing the direction of a thread is the same thing as starting an argument now? Well, I never!
Also, I didn't change the direction of the thread. I was just rolling with a point that had already been made. So why don't you take your oar and shove it somewhere else?

I'm waiting for the "OMG Bliink is violating my with my own keyboard!" thread :)

i'm at uni in bournemouth

lectures wed morning then planning for shoots. more planning on thurs plus scripting, storyboarding etc. shooting on friday. then this week i was building sets quite literally with no sleep from friday eve to monday at 12pm. then i had 8 hours sleep and back to building from 2am on tues morning all the way to the evening on wed.

Do you do film production at bournemouth? I was planning on doing it there after i've finished my a levels.

yeah i do, at the arts institute. i have to say, as much as i'm not so fond of bournemouth, the course is amazing, if alot of work. the amount of equipment they have is incredible, and we just got a new avid nitrous editing machine that cost something stupid like 170 grand.

I've never heard of Bournemouth being a particuarly happening town tbh. As far as seaside towns/cities go, you could do a lot better. Brighton/Hove springs to mind but then i'm totally biased. Some feel it's a bit of a seaside london, just with more Gaiety :p Sorry to play the eliteist card, but if you find yourself at an ex-polytechnic, the nightlife needs to be good simply because it's the bit of the experience that will actually be somewhat useful to you.

Strangely, I think a lot of the ex-polytech Universities are working Uni students a lot, lot harder than institutions with more presteige are. It seems to me that the prestigious universities just farm students in and make them work less for degrees that will be better recognised anyway. Perhaps Bournemouth are really trying to break free of their obscurity by working you really hard. Hell knows I'd like more contact with my tutors, but at the end of the day, a degree will be judged by who you got it from before it'll be judged by how well you did, or how hard you worked for it.

um, what? the nightlife needs to be good because that's good experience? yeah...... so you're saying clubbing experience is useful?

also, it's a very renowned institute for arts, and it's the best film making course in the uk and ireland, and top three in europe, so don't say it's not 'prestigious' you pretentious moron. it is in no way obscure, the film course is extremely well known in the film making world and among anyone who works in the visual arts, it has a great rep and people will hire you on the fact you went there alone. you're unbeleivably condescending and you have no idea what you're talking about.

you make it sound like i chose bournemouth, i come from london, why would i move there unless i had to? it's the course i went for.

and don't tell me you go to uni in brighton because that place is renowned, RENOWNED for being the crappest most worthless uni around, people are known to NOT get jobs coming out of there so they don't go there for that reason alone. granted, the place is fun, but it's still tiny, it's no london.

um, what? the nightlife needs to be good because that's good experience? yeah...... so you're saying clubbing experience is useful?

also, it's a very renowned institute for arts, and it's the best film making course in the uk and ireland, and top three in europe, so don't say it's not 'prestigious' you pretentious moron. it is in no way obscure, the film course is extremely well known in the film making world and among anyone who works in the visual arts, it has a great rep and people will hire you on the fact you went there alone. you're unbeleivably condescending and you have no idea what you're talking about.

you make it sound like i chose bournemouth, i come from london, why would i move there unless i had to? it's the course i went for.

and don't tell me you go to uni in brighton because that place is renowned, RENOWNED for being the crappest most worthless uni around, people are known to NOT get jobs coming out of there so they don't go there for that reason alone. granted, the place is fun, but it's still tiny, it's no london.

awesome, what kind of stuff do they look for in people who apply there? Good grades? :p

lol, nope! (lucky for me). well no, they want decent grades, but they mainly want to see a portfolio. pictures, maybe drawings, storyboards, scripts, maybe a critical essay and films. a short film is a massive help, i think i had a music vid and a couple of short films on my showreel. but no more than 5 mins i'd say.

don't tell them you want to be a director even if you do, say it interests you but you want to be a cinematographer or an editor or something, and learn the names of some editors/producers/cinematographers etc so you can chat crap about them.

also just go on about some obscure type of cinema, basically anything that's not hollywood, like hong kong cinema, or dogme or french new wave or whatever.

and just generally be really vomit-inducingly enthusiastic about making films. be all about going out and doing stuff yourself and being recourseful etc..

then when you get on the course you can watch the matrix while wanting to be a director and doing no work :)

Rambler, cool it off. I never said I believed that the perceptions that most people will take of your institution and your course are correct, just that that's how they are. As it happens, I was assuming by Bournemouth that you meant the University of Bournmouth and for that mistake I'm sorry. Though I'm not so sure it's entirely baseless to suppose that a degree in Film production won't be looked down upon by large sections of the Job Market, no matter how renowned it apparently is. So long as it's useful for the jobs you want, that shouldn't matter of course.

lol, nope! (lucky for me). well no, they want decent grades, but they mainly want to see a portfolio. pictures, maybe drawings, storyboards, scripts, maybe a critical essay and films. a short film is a massive help, i think i had a music vid and a couple of short films on my showreel. but no more than 5 mins i'd say.

don't tell them you want to be a director even if you do, say it interests you but you want to be a cinematographer or an editor or something, and learn the names of some editors/producers/cinematographers etc so you can chat crap about them.

also just go on about some obscure type of cinema, basically anything that's not hollywood, like hong kong cinema, or dogme or french new wave or whatever.

and just generally be really vomit-inducingly enthusiastic about making films. be all about going out and doing stuff yourself and being recourseful etc..

then when you get on the course you can watch the matrix while wanting to be a director and doing no work :)

Well my main interest is cinematography, so i guess I could do some storyboards. Im taking an a level in photography ( as well as Music Tech, Philosphy and Ethics and English Language) so I have lots of photos I could put in a portfolio.

What are the facilities like there? I hear its pretty good

Yeah, but the nightlife is shit apparently :p

My friend goes to brighton uni, but is on eastbourne campus... the nightlife in eastbourne is rubbish... so unless you can pay £60 for a taxi back to eastbourne at times (trains stop at half 11), you need to find other things to do.

Portsmouth itself has pretty good nightlife imo and the university is decent.

yeah they's great, we have a few big studios with huge lighting rigs. tons and tons of edit suits running all kinds of versions of avid and final cut with a massive central storage unit with some stupid amount of space on it (sorry i'm not being more specific, but i've only been there for about 3 months so far).

plus the equipment is professional standard, we have so many different types of cameras ranging from professional dv cam ones, right up to top of the line ariflex S16 cameras (i get scared holding them, they cost about 30k i think, maybe more), we have more lighting equipment than you could possibly count, facilities for green screening, some really great special effects suites etc.

but the best thing is the collaboration between all the courses, so you have costume people, model makers, artists, one of the best acting courses all working on your films. so the model makers can be making breakable swords for you, or minitures of castles, the costume people could make you period costumes or whatever, the actors are great, and some of the cgi i've seen on the grad films is genuinely amazing. i thought it was gonna look really fake, but i've seen cgi tanks go through forets, ningas get cut apart etc, and it all looks really real.

Back