United States Congress repeals don't ask, don't tell

latino.foxnews? Wat?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/19/us-military-senate-vote

The US Senate voted yesterday to repeal the ban on gay people serving openly in the military, paving the way for President Obama to sign a law ending the policy this week.

Obama said in a statement: "By ending 'don't ask, don't tell' no longer will our nation be denied the service of thousands of patriotic Americans forced to leave the military, despite years of exemplary performance, because they happen to be gay. And no longer will many thousands more be asked to live a lie in order to serve the country they love."

The Senate voted by 65-31 to end the 17-year-old ban following its passage through the Democratic-led House of Representatives. Democratic leaders had pushed for its passage before the end of the current session because Republicans, many of whom did not support the change, will control the House of Representatives in January and have greater numbers in the Senate.

Good lame duck bill.

Vietnam.

McCain said it may be too early to end the ban and challenged the Pentagon's forecast of little impact if the policy were lifted. In a Senate speech, he argued against imposing a change while the country is at war.

"This debate is not about the broader social issues that are being discussed in our society, but what is in the best interest of our military at a time of war," McCain said.

When is America not at war? Especially given they declare war on concepts/emotional states. "Terror" for example.

Mccain is a ****ing moron. So glad Obama won, because shit would be so much worse if mccain won.

Glad this finally got repealed, though its kinda sad that it took so long and was still uncertain.

I'm glad to hear this.

It's a good push by Obama that got pissed. I'm still incredibly angry at him for passing that tax break legislation for the rich though. WHAT THE **** MAN!?

Even worse than it is now?
Probably. You do realise the current economic state is due to the last decade and a bit of financial recklessness, not due to the recent steps the US Government has been taking to fix the massive shit pile the previous administration left everyone in?

Even worse than it is now?

Considering the shit McCain's been saying since Obama has been in office, I'm quite confident we'd be in a much, much worse place.

Mccain is one of the many old farts of a bygone era trying to treat things like they were 40 years ago.

I guess this doesn't really affect me but I think it's a cool thing. It's a pretty antiquated thought to say "hey you're gay, you can't be in the military because it might scare someone"

Our soldiers are trained to face off against rocket launchers, grenades, bullets and knives plus a whole hell of a lot more, and yet people think they're going to somehow be afraid of a soldier who fights alongside them trained in the very same way?

Please. Don't Ask Don't Tell was a stupid policy.

Back