Valve Announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score

[br]Valve announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, a new CS game targeted for release via Steam, Playstation Network and Xbox Live Arcade in early 2012.[br]

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will expand upon the team-based action gameplay and will feature new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.[br]

CS:GO is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.[br]

Update: ESEA has a Hands-On article up. Some info from the article below:

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is NOT Counter-Strike 2
  • Aimed for early 2012 release with beta access beginning this fall.
  • Dust, dust2, inferno, nuke and train confirmed to be available at release
  • The game looks pretty
  • The game didn't feel like 1.6 and despite being built on the Source engine, it didn't feel like CSS.
  • Molotov cocktails and decoy grenades added to the game

Read more here.

And that is why it's worth blindly getting myself a ticket for the Eurogamer Expo, see you there Valve!

wonder if it will have something for the non hardcore competitors players

Lol, a Counter-Strike game on consoles. What next? Duke Nukem: Forever? Pahahah...oh wait.

Lol, a Counter-Strike game on consoles. What next? Duke Nukem: Forever? Pahahah...oh wait.

There's already a Counter-Strike on the original Xbox.

Wonder if this is a move/hint towards another 'box' game. Maybe combining CS:GO, HL3, Portal 2 and something else....

Just to let people know, it'll be coming out mid-late 2012 by our time, early 2012 is valve time. Cant wait though.

Super pumped personally. I love CS, CZ and CSS so this is a no brainer for me. What an awesome year for shooters we have coming up... Battlefield 3, Red Orchestra 2, CS:Global Offensive, ARMA 3, Rage, Deus Ex, Hard Reset, etc...

I wonder will this one actually be fun. Something tells me this won't have microtransactions. Valve have said that F2P/microtransactions wouldn't work for every game I think I read/heard Gabe admit that Portal 2 wasn't as suited to it as TF2 was.

Steam page said:
CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment.

This sounds promising, I'm a huge fan of Hidden Path's Defense Grid. They know how to make games.

This looks awesome, I cannot wait! Are there any specific dates? When can we expect a full trailer?

Looking forward to seeing the new/upgraded engine.

This sounds promising, I'm a huge fan of Hidden Path's Defense Grid. They know how to make games.

Were they responsible for porting Counterstrike: Source to the OB build?

Anyword as to whether it will be strictly Multiplayer or is there singleplayer elements?

Valve graciously flew us all out to Seattle for this "secret meeting" but the purpose was entirely unknown and so everyone's imagination were running wild. In fact, one international attendee who was asked for his visit's purpose into the US didn't even know what to tell a US Customs Agent... he's lucky he didn't get shipped right back home!

I would of loved to see that, for the LOLs

[/quote]

Sounds like they're just repackaging CS as a modern e-sports title.

It's good to see the invited players giving critical feedback, rather than just being there to nod politely.

This looks awesome, I cannot wait! Are there any specific dates? When can we expect a full trailer?
Nothing specific, but Valve has confirmed that CS:GO will be at PAX Prime in a few weeks, so I'm guessing we'll get our first look at it then.

Also, one of the eSports guys who got invited to Valve has said that Valve mentioned that the beta would start for CSGO in September or October, but we haven't heard anything official so this is completely unconfirmed right now.

My partner over at Battlefieldo and I have decided to expand our network to run a CS:GO fansite too, so we'll be running Battlefieldo alongside a CS:GO fansite (CounterStrikeGO.com or possibly CSGlobalOffensive.com - registering domain names early ftw) as the start of what someday will hopefully be a large commercial gaming network. In less than 24 hours the Twitter account I set up (@CounterStrikeGO) already has almost 500 followers... which is absolutely crazy. By comparison, the Battlefieldo twitter I run didn't hit 500 followers for almost 3 months of hard work and constant tweeting...

Glenn, I'm out of town on vacation til Monday but get in touch with me on skype next week sometime - I'd like to talk to you about some potential affiliation/collaboration between my site and HL2.net, maybe even having us do the news for you guys (as in we cross post our more-important CSGO news to HL2.net etc) or having HL2.net link to us as an independent affiliated CS:GO subsection.

I would like to see some official night time arenas. I honestly don't know why they packaged the Nightvision goggles in with CSS when there are no official maps that require them.

First thing I would like to see when the new CS comes out is the ejection ports for used casings is on the correct side of the weapon.

Meh. I have no interest in DoTA 2 nor this rewamp of CS. Valve needs to pussy footing around Episode 3/ Half Life 3.

LOLOL :frog:THE NEW WSYIWYG EDITOR MAKES IT SUPER EASY TO MAKE O
IOUS TEXT

but in other news... how is this going to be anything new? It sounds like CS with new guns and better graphics which puts me on the snooze train.

From another forum, can't c/d:

HLTV said:
Marek ".PhP" Kadek is one of the players in seattle. This is what he wrote on Playzone.cz :
- this game is not going to replace CS 1.6, or CS:S, it is primary made for consoles, PC version is just kind of a "bonus"
- at the moment, the game looks more like HL2DM
- There is no recoil and there will never be. (because of the consoles)
- the game runs on L4D2 engine
- SourceTV is NOT a priority
- they are working on match making system
- new money system
- no kevlar (this should be fixed in the future)
- maps are simplyfied for XBOX style, less ways, most fights are close range
- Hidden Path (Valve only finances the game) is trying to make all weapons balanced.

So far it seems that guy php has been the source of most of the naysaying "CSGO is console trash" stuff floating around.... I guess we will see :p most of the other lucky players seem to think that nothing is being sacrificed for the sake of console players but obviously that remains to be seen. Sounds more to me like more of the same bitchy 1.6 fanatic hate.

Nice move. And now, eagerly waiting for Left 4 Dead 3!

Funny how if you consider 1.6 to be CS 1 and CSS to be CS2...that this is CS3. But there are no chronological numbers involved so you could still say that Valve still hasn't made a full 3rd game.

Eh, still psyched. But you know, I like what most you call trashy shooters.

Funny how if you consider 1.6 to be CS 1 and CSS to be CS2...that this is CS3. But there are no chronological numbers involved so you could still say that Valve still hasn't made a full 3rd game.
Have has been pretty adamant that neither CSS or this game are CS2.

I'm absolutely terrible at all other counter-strike games, so I'm unsure whether to get this or not.
Well, I'm terrible at all PC shooters, but for some reason keep buying them.

Back