Valve Distance Themselves from Xi3 as Piston Pre-Orders Open

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Xi3 have started taking pre-orders for their Piston modular PC. We originally announced Piston as the first Steam Box back in January but according to Eurogamer Valve has since distanced itself from the company. "Valve began some exploratory work with Xi3 last year, but currently has no involvement in any product of theirs," said Doug Lombardi, Valve's director of marketing.

We currently have no news on what companies Valve are working with to create official Steam Boxes but hopefully we'll be hearing about Valve's own design in the coming months. If you still want to pick up a Piston regardless the pre-order will for the 128GB model will set you back $899.99 and will arrive sometime around Christmas.

I'm surprised how expensive this is. I mean sure, it's a tiny box that allows you to play Steam games on your TV. But the SSD upgrade prices are insane. You can build your own rig for cheaper. Even $500 is enough to build a decent PC, and add about $400 for the 512GB SSD.

I'm surprised how expensive this is. I mean sure, it's a tiny box that allows you to play Steam games on your TV. But the SSD upgrade prices are insane. You can build your own rig for cheaper. Even $500 is enough to build a decent PC, and add about $400 for the 512GB SSD.
Being able to build your own rig for cheaper is kind of a given, they'd be selling it as a loss or near enough otherwise. You're also paying for the tiny size and ability to mount it on the back of a TV. Building your own PC that size is going to be a lot more difficult.

Being able to build your own rig for cheaper is kind of a given, they'd be selling it as a loss or near enough otherwise. You're also paying for the tiny size and ability to mount it on the back of a TV. Building your own PC that size is going to be a lot more difficult.
Oh, yes, I agree. But the difference in price is huge.

Yeah, the market for this thing is so niche, I can't really see it taking off.

Oh, yes, I agree. But the difference in price is huge.
Excessively so, in fact that may have been a factor in Valve distancing themselves when costs were being thrown around earlier on. The Steambox concept is meant to be modular with affordable options. I assumed the piston would have a $900 top end model and a $600 & $400 lower end sliding scale. Their devices start at 900...

Yeah. The major problem that I see is that this isn't necessarily trying to target users already invested in PC gaming, but those who enjoy console gaming and are looking to pick up a new machine as the next wave of them rolls around. Pricing it at $900 puts it way out of the range that the PS4 and the next Xbox will be priced at, meaning I can't see many people wanting to make the switch.

Back