Valve Game Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

how do you know that?
Well if you ever owned a job you would know. I'm sure they slept at their computer at work when they released the orginal HL2 release date! :cheese: The people that think this is ok and peachy are just completely wrong. Companies don't go out there and "borrow" code from competition. They have to liscense it first and give credit where it's due. Gabe may seem like a nice guy and all but the basic fact is that he's running a game company. Yes a rather successful at that but nevertheless a company that relies upon you, the customer. When you get people stealing your work and not giving you money, it get's serious. It means that Gabe won't get that extra Krispy Kreme donut in the morning's! :D Rofl just had to put that in their.

Would you say the same thing if you created the water effects? As simple as it looks, a lot went into it. We have people who put their heart into HL2 and Doom 3. Many nights were spent at the office not because of overtime pay, but because they liked the game and had deadlines. Would you like somebody coming along and taking your work and not asking?

Now I never said i agree with it, I agree with you, I just can't see valve creating a ruckus over it. There is no way to verify at the moment that they hadn't bought any kindof package created for artists that may have some of the same assets that valve used, if it is valve created content 100% then it's a bad show, unless they have paid for it.

I thought the water in stalker looked familiar :) Seriously though 6 years to develop the game and GCS didnt manage to create there own water texture? makes you think what else they have ripped in order to get there game out.

HL1 was based on Quake 1 code (http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?go=q1_or_q2).
HL2 also uses parts of Quake 1 code, although heavily modified. Take a look at the models - they don't differ all that much. HL1 added bones. HL2 added facial expressions. Then, we have the BSP format, which is very Quake-like, only with added 3d skybox, displacements and heavily extended lighting.
You don't write something from scratch if something you already have works fine and only need adjustments ;)

Anyway, is there proof that Stalker actually uses those stolen textures or are they just in the game data files, leftovers from test versions?

dont care. I enjoyed STALKER more than Half-life 2 and Doom 3. While playing it, I didn't notice any textures, sounds, or anything that looked/sounded like anything from Half-Life or Doom. Nonsense I say...nonsense.

HL1 was based on Quake 1 code (http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?go=q1_or_q2).
HL2 also uses parts of Quake 1 code, although heavily modified. Take a look at the models - they don't differ all that much. HL1 added bones. HL2 added facial expressions. Then, we have the BSP format, which is very Quake-like, only with added 3d skybox, displacements and heavily extended lighting.
You don't write something from scratch if something you already have works fine and only need adjustments ;)

Anyway, is there proof that Stalker actually uses those stolen textures or are they just in the game data files, leftovers from test versions?
Yeah at least they said that and got a liscense for the engine. ;)

Would you say the same thing if you created the water effects? As simple as it looks, a lot went into it. We have people who put their heart into HL2 and Doom 3. Many nights were spent at the office not because of overtime pay, but because they liked the game and had deadlines. Would you like somebody coming along and taking your work and not asking?

I say we gut them alive, like that dude at the end of Brave Heart. If it is a texture pack or something like that, then we only singe their feet with a hot iron. :imu:

Wow. How devious. I hope they get what they deserve.

Or maybe, which seems to be more likely, they don't deserve anything as the assets weren't actually used in the game, which is appearing to be the case.

But no, I'll join the fanboy crowd!
OMFG HOW DARE GSC LEAVE SOME TEXTURES IN THE TEXTURE FOLDER THAT THEY DON'T ACTUALLY USE IN THE GAME! BUUUURN IIIIIIIIIIN HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL!

dont care. I enjoyed STALKER more than Half-life 2 and Doom 3. While playing it, I didn't notice any textures, sounds, or anything that looked/sounded like anything from Half-Life or Doom. Nonsense I say...nonsense.
So what you're saying is: everybody is wrong if I didn't notice anything familiar.

Way to go.

"Although Valve has explicitly stated that the Source engine has been built internally from the ground up, rumors and myths persist that it is instead merely derived from the original Quake codebase via Valve's GoldSrc offshoot. The primary reasons for this are the manner in which the engine uses similar development interfaces to GoldSrc (to aid transitioning developers), and John Carmack's comment on his blog that "there are still bits of early Quake code in Half-Life 2", [17] expanded through hearsay to be a confirmation that large swathes of code are identical, when no such conclusion can be drawn from the statement. There remains no solid proof that Source is derived from the GoldSrc codebase — and indeed, given the fact that the 2003 code leak did not produce any such claims it can only be assumed that no incriminating evidence was to be found."
its from wikipedia . but i do remember valve stating that the engine was built from the ground up. they obviously kept the file formats the same so they wouldnt have to make drastic changes to their pipeline.

You enjoyed STALKER more than Half-Life 2? lol...I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion...crazy as it may be. :)

Buh bye!

But no, I'll join the fanboy crowd!
OMFG HOW DARE GSC LEAVE SOME TEXTURES IN THE TEXTURE FOLDER THAT THEY DON'T ACTUALLY USE IN THE GAME! BUUUURN IIIIIIIIIIN HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL!
But they are used in the game.

And, if anything, the fanboy crowd are the people defending Stalker.

And the other fanboy crowd are the people attacking Stalker.

The only non-fanboys are the ones who are waiting any sort of validation to the claim that they "stole" from valve.

Being a fanboy means you have to be a fan of something... I couldn't care less about Valve or ID.

There isnt much defending goin on down at the stalker forums, id of thought the fanboys would be in full opposing force :naughty:

GSC must of totally depleted there funds for creating this game, apart from sales they will have no money worth suing for.

Nothing will happen to the game. If anything comes of it, then the developers will be sued.

Nothing will happen to the game. If anything comes of it, then the developers will be sued.

Well actually it's possible that they replace those assets (assuming they're used ingame) with some generic, crappy textures made in 5 minutes with MS Paint or something.

The amount of tangible damages that could be awarded vs the cost of launching a full legal case would make it pointless. If they half inched their entire AI code or something of major significance in terms of Valves IP that had a marked impact upon how the game played, and as a result dramatically increased STALKER sales then, there might be a real case to answer for, but a few texture maps...certainly enough to cause some waves (no pun intended ;) ) but nothing more. At most I'd expect Valve to register an open complaint with the publisher and a small settlement to be agreed by them.

Lol GSC ha some explaining to do, but I don`t care really.
Imo, STALKER is an awesome f*cking game, didn`t dissapoint me. I`ve had lots of fun with it- one of the best shooters I`ve ever player.
Had more fun with it than with HL2 im afraid.

Just because it was a good game doesn't mean they can steal textures/shaders. So many people are going "They shouldn't steal, but it was a good game". It's hardly a defense.

I was defending?
I don`t give a rats ass about Valve or GSC, I just like their games.

well it actually isnt that unheard off. a lot of games use sounds from sound packs that are commercially available ofcourse it doesnt happen that often because a lot of the content is made inhouse but it does happen, so i dont see why the same couldnt happen with textures.

Yeah, I've heard many sounds from some of the monsters in the original Doom used in other games, TV shows, etc. The thing is, if they really DID take this water texture from Valve, it's a shame they couldn't just have asked to do it...I can't imagine Valve would have really held onto their freaking water texture like it was the most original thing in the world.

I?m sure you guys computers are full of warez so who are you to judge about a couple of textures they 'stole'?!

Well, that line of logic would work if people were taking warez, changing the title screen or whatever and then selling it as their own game. I'm not defending piracy ...but let's get things straight here. This isn't on the same level.

STALKER not nicking art after all

Internet goes wild for nuttin'

By Wily Ferret: Monday 16 April 2007, 11:30

SO IT TURNS OUT
that STALKER isn't actually nicking lots of other people's artwork. Big surprise?

The internet was a-storm over the weekend with rumours that textures had been found in STALKER's game engine that looked similar to textures found in Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. We previously reported the rumours.

Thanks to reader Rob S. for pointing out that the water textures used by both Valve and GSC GameWorld, the makers of STALKER, come from a texture pack sold by Marlin Studios. The chaps at Marlin make all kinds of exciting textures, including 'Home & Office Furniture - High Detail, Low Price!' and 'Traffic - Low Poly Pretextured Vehicles, SUVs and trucks you can even animate!'

Stunning stuff.

Valve has confirmed that it picked up some textures from Marlin for HL2, and separate sources have discovered that the IMP_Light texture that it was thought could have been pilfered from Doom 3 was, in fact, just a standard Impact Light texture, rather than referring to the Doom 3 monster.
Source

Well Well Well...

Heard about this a bit late... but now that it's all resolved what I was going to say anyway was something along the lines of:

Haven't posted in here in ages, but this sounds interesting, as I'm playing stalker atm and loving it, though there's not much water, and it is pretty sexy water, and like the water is the only reason why I bought the game. (Scratch that last point). Anyhow, glad to hear no silly legal issues have arisen and it was just someone poking making some smoke on something that didn't really affect my beloved Valve or that other company with a D and an I in it.

Anyhow, can't wait for Episode 2, maybe we can see some Chernobyl Nuclear Power plant pictures on a table in some lab in ep2 to signify this entertaining internet calamity. As in Stalker, Gordon Freeman makes an appearance as a dead body in a car under a bridge with a trusty Desert Eagle (kinda like the references so hope Valve does it back)

:cheers:

Perfect way is to use those Combine binoculars, the ones you see on Highway 17.

Only time they appear in HL2, well, you see G-man through them!

Now, with the promise of beautiful vistas the binoculars can finally make a come-back, so they don't become one of those "Only appears once in whole damn game" things.

Back