Valve Game Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Interesting news running through blogs and major gaming sites today. It seems that in-game art assets from both Valve (Half-Life 2) and iD (Doom 3) games have been found inside of GSC's newly released title S.T.A.L.K.E.R.http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46449 - An unauthorized move. In terms of what's being used from Half-Life 2 specifically in this title, at the moment it seems just the water and its normal maps were apparently ripped, at first glance, from the game. Shacknews Explains...
This week, threads have started showing up on various forums containing what appears to be evidence that GSC Game World's recently released shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl makes use of a number of graphical assets taken directly from commercially released games such as Valve's Half-Life 2 and id Software's Doom 3. Many forum posters are speculating that the assets were used without authorization.
[br]

[br]More information is over at Shacknewshttp://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46449 -- Do have a read.

well for all you know the textures could be from a material pack or from a generator .

So this game ripped Valve's and iD's game?
I dont understand.

So this game ripped Valve's and iD's game?
I dont understand.

It took a couple of generic textures from HL2 and D3 apparently.

Nothing ultra incriminating imo.

Well if they were from a material pack or generator, wouldn't we be seeing this happen more often with other games?

well it actually isnt that unheard off. a lot of games use sounds from sound packs that are commercially available ofcourse it doesnt happen that often because a lot of the content is made inhouse but it does happen, so i dont see why the same couldnt happen with textures.

All three development teams get together in the Roman Collisseum with assorted Medieval weapons and fight an epic battle to the death.

I hope Valve contracts Spartans to their side :naughty:

Just the water lol.. I'm sure valve will let that pass.
Would you say the same thing if you created the water effects? As simple as it looks, a lot went into it. We have people who put their heart into HL2 and Doom 3. Many nights were spent at the office not because of overtime pay, but because they liked the game and had deadlines. Would you like somebody coming along and taking your work and not asking?

Wouldn't be a good idea clarky. It would create a precendent and could allow other companies to steal Valve's assets.

Blatant plagiarism hasn't been confirmed yet on Valve's part. For all we know, they both could've used a publicly released art-pack.

Though if not, the last person who tried to take stuff from Valve was almost walloped on the head with a crowbar by Gabe.

All three development teams get together in the Roman Collisseum with assorted Medieval weapons and fight an epic battle to the death.

Don't forget to add the Star Trek gladiator-arena music!

Didn't valve use outside help to create alot of the art content?
This is probably a 3rd party texture that got put into both games.

It seems unlikely to me that this is a matter of both games using the same 3rd party textures. The filenames are all the same. In particular "lights_impflash.dds" obviously mentions an enemy from Doom 3.

well there was a lot of hoopla back in the day about how great HL2's water was.. a lot of it was based on the animated normal map etc.. so if they got it from a etxture pack that's sort of a lot of praise they didnt deserve

well there was a lot of hoopla back in the day about how great HL2's water was.. a lot of it was based on the animated normal map etc.. so if they got it from a etxture pack that's sort of a lot of praise they didnt deserve
true , i wonder what id and valve will do if its true. i dont think you can really blame the company as a whole it was probably an artist that didnt have a clue about what he was doing. most of the textures that were copied look really simple to make ..well apart from the animated normal map.

so if they got it from a etxture pack that's sort of a lot of praise they didnt deserve

true, and it cant be something they outsourced. They got alot of respect for that sexy water shader <3. :imu:

-dodo

This sucks if its true. Hope its not.

That's stupid saying STALKER stole them, Half Life 2 was made using libraries of texture CDs they purchased.

valve the devs might let that pass since they are probably nice guys. Valve's legal department would load up a can of whoop ass because that's their job, to protect their company and if so take money from the poor to give to the rich.

What’s the big deal? It's probably some placeholders they forget to replace. It's not like those things are worth stealing as they are not that hard to make. This has nothing to do with laziness, hell the source engine is based on the quake engine!

I’m sure you guys computers are full of warez so who are you to judge about a couple of textures they 'stole'?!

Really this happens a lot and I doubt Valve and ID soft care.

It was probably the work experience kid. I know when I did work experience for a graphics place I stole copyright stuff and used it for a book cover.

It's still stealing. No matter what is stolen it's still an offence.

If it was me that had a part in coding the water algorithms and I saw they were lifted by the STALKER team I'd most definitely do something about it.

That's like writing a 20 page paper for your history class and someone else comes along and replaces the cover sheet with their name--crazy!

Of course, this all applies IF those aren't 3rd party textures, etc...but I doubt they are.

What?s the big deal? It's probably some placeholders they forget to replace. It's not like those things are worth stealing as they are not that hard to make. This has nothing to do with laziness, hell the source engine is based on the quake engine

the only thing the source engine usese from the quake engine is the input system and that's because they wanted to maintain teh feel of the previous game... They arent using legacy rendering code or anything like that

I remember the beta version of stalker leak contained ALL counter strike sounds. From footsteps to the AK to the pistols. Even some screams from halflif! o0

Ha ha ha!
I hope it's true.

The anticipation for gsc's upcoming demise is much more exciting than anything else related to this game altogether.
After 6 years of delaying and finally releasing a half assed buggy shooter that now seems to have relied up on other people's work,it's just what they deserve.Dosvidanya!

Does anyone remember that screenshot from Half-Life 2 with a Star-Wars game's content in it?

It makes me sad that all those people on Shacknews left comments saying how "harmless" stealing simple textures like that is. I think the idea of stealing someone's hard work and trying to pass it off as your own is terrible.
But, saying that, are any of the assets actually used in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? It wouldn't make it any better, but that question has been eating at me.
Oh, this whole thing sounds fishy to me... I wish I had a copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I could verify this because it did originate out of a Doom 3 message board on April 1. People have said they've confirmed it, but I would like to verify it with my own eyes.
-FoxFire

Would you say the same thing if you created the water effects? As simple as it looks, a lot went into it. We have people who put their heart into HL2 and Doom 3. Many nights were spent at the office not because of overtime pay, but because they liked the game and had deadlines. Would you like somebody coming along and taking your work and not asking?

how do you know that?

Back