Valve games are now for sale through Impulse

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
[br]
In an unexpected move, Gamestop announced today that they will be selling most of Valve's games through their own digital distribution service, Impulse. This is the first time in history that any of Valve's games are being sold as digital copies through an online service - Other than Steam, obviously. You can buy the Half-Life Complete pack, The Orange Box, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 through Impulse beginning today.
[br]
I haven't seen the process in action. It sounds like Impulse will just have you download Steam (if don't already have it installed) and they'll send you a CD-key for the game. So, this is a strange deal, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

That's pretty surprising. Does the Impulse copy of Half-Life 1 require Steam too?

This is a great move by Valve! Not because I want to buy from Impulse rather than Steam, but just as I don't like being forced to buy EA titles through Origin, I don't think Valve should force people to buy via Steam. Steam/Valve might be a better "monopoly" than Origin/EA, but it's still nice with a bit of competition and choice.

This is a great move by Valve! Not because I want to buy from Impulse rather than Steam, but just as I don't like being forced to buy EA titles through Origin, I don't think Valve should force people to buy via Steam. Steam/Valve might be a better "monopoly" than Origin/EA, but it's still nice with a bit of competition and choice.

It still requires Steam to play though. ;)

Anyway, I totally agree! Releasing stuff Origin-exclusive (or Steam/Impulse/???) to force people into these applications is just wrong. It's a move in right direction by Valve at least.

I just don't see the point... You must have Steam installed anyway, right? Is it possible that impulse prices will be lower then Steam's?
Maybe if they accept cards from other countries... Some of my friends can't buy from Steam cause they don't have an international card (not from us). So maybe, just maybe this could help them? I dunno =/

It's a smart enough move by Valve. More publicity/exposure, and Impulse no doubt gets some cut. It's a win-win. But yeah it is kinda weird to go to a service...to get another service.

Back