Valve Launches Linux Blog, L4D2 Already Ported to Ubuntu

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly seems the case there will be a Valve blog for every part of Valve before there is a Half-life themed blog! You can now track the progress of Valve's linux team, currently 11 people strong, one of which we assume is Gabe.

The blog clarifies the build will be based on Ubuntu 12.04 and that Left 4 Dead 2 has already been ported successfully. The current goals are:
  • getting the Steam client onto Linux with full functionality
  • optimizing a version of L4D2 running at a high frame rate with OpenGL
  • porting additional Valve titles
Only this week we discovered Sam Latinga joined the team to help along the project, which Valve will be keeping us informed on via the Valve Linux Blog.

linuxsteam-jpg.23674

Attachments

• linuxsteam.jpg
    linuxsteam.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 6,314
I wonder will the OpenGL improvements help Source on OSX too. I've heard that TF2 for example is just the DX8 version of the game running in a wrapper.

What'd really be great is if Valve made it possible to have Steam installed across operating systems, ie, if you had Ubuntu and Windows installed and Steam on both and if it downloaded/installed/updated a game on one it did on the other too.

Right after I finish configuring my Arch install, they announce that I'll be wanting Ubuntu. Wonderful. At least I know how to terminal now.

Back