Video/Sound Card Woes

Warped

Reaction score
Just installed my new Nvidia GTX 460 card and now it says I have No Audio Output Device installed. any thing you guys could think of would be greatful right now. i don't even want to play any games until the sound is up and running

soundcard.jpg

I've never seen this before either, its like Nvidia took over the Audio on my PC as well :/

Go in BIOS to see if your onboard sound (or whatever you use) got disabled? I'm assuming perhaps your video card has HDMI or some other form of audio output (which is kind of weird...)

That's extremely odd.

What's the wattage on your power supply?

550W, it has nothing to do with it though. I've been reading and as of lately because its such an advanced card compared to my system...that its trying to force the HD Audio on the user with no options during install. I should have went to advanced...always go to advanced not recommended during the install....that was my fault. I probably would have caught this all ready. but a lot of people seem to be losing their native drivers.

edit: quick question, is DVI much worse than outputting through HDMI. I have the option to do both

Glad you got it worked out :)

DVI and HDMI are both uncompressed digital data streams. It doesn't matter which one you use.

still no sound actually. i tried downloading my drivers from Realtek and it still says no output device.

DVI is digital, like HDMI.

The only difference is, HDMI also carries sound.

On a computer, you would generally use DVI, and you would generally use HDMI for most other video equipment (including: consoles, TV's, disc players, and the like)

Just installed my new Nvidia GTX 460 card and now it says I have No Audio Output Device installed. any thing you guys could think of would be greatful right now. i don't even want to play any games until the sound is up and running
I believe that you didn't have the audio drivers installed, and Windows just used some generic ones that worked. For whatever reason, Windows thought that your Nvidia drivers were better suited, so it replaced them. I guess.

So, I am assuming you have on-board audio and didn't have the proper drivers installed. Anyhow, just install the motherboard audio drivers.

DVI is digital, like HDMI.

The only difference is, HDMI also carries sound.

On a computer, you would generally use DVI, and you would generally use HDMI for most other video equipment (including: consoles, TV's, disc players, and the like)

I believe that you didn't have the audio drivers installed, and Windows just used some generic ones that worked. For whatever reason, Windows thought that your Nvidia drivers were better suited, so it replaced them. I guess.

So, I am assuming you have on-board audio and didn't have the proper drivers installed. Anyhow, just install the motherboard audio drivers.

I've tried that. Heres what I've tried so far:

-Disabled all the new HD drivers
-Uninstalled the new HD drivers
-Reinstalled the old Realtek drivers
-Created a new WinRAR Nvidia folder with the latest update but minus the audio drivers
-tried installing the motherboards audio drivers

still no sound. I'm willing to bet my motherboard isn't compatible with these newer audio drivers. but regardless they keep coming back, even after disabling them and uninstalling them. any advice guys? This seems like a problem I don't know the solution to

soundproblem.jpg

This is what I keep seeing. I'm pretty sure all I had before was onboard sound card which may have been permanently erased considering I've went from XP Media Center to Vista 32bit. I do also recall after doing that I had issues with my internet and modem problems. maybe it all stems back a long time ago when this all happened

IMAG0276.jpg

I do also have a new soundcard in case I need to install it but I don't think I have the necessary room for another PCI item, my video card takes up most of the space if what I'm seeing is correct

EDIT: I didn't even see the post directly above mine.

Uninstall the Nvidia video card driver. That's how you got this problem, right? I think you chose the complete install option or something, including a feature that isn't even applicable to your new video card!

Did you download these video card drivers?

Did they just give you a generic "one size fits all" diver disc with your new video card?

Next, find out what motherboard you have. If you have a pre-built PC (ex., Dell, eMachines, Compaq, HP), then you have to do a search using the model number of the computer to find the motherboard audio drivers.

You need these drivers to get functionality for on-board audio. If you reinstall Windows, you'll want -- sometimes need -- to reinstall drivers for all your motherboard components. HP, Dell, etc, should have a complete list of drivers for you make/model PC.

EDIT: I didn't even see the post directly above mine.

Uninstall the Nvidia video card driver. That's how you got this problem, right? I think you chose the complete install option or something, including a feature that isn't even applicable to your new video card!

Did you download these video card drivers?

Did they just give you a generic "one size fits all" diver disc with your new video card?

Next, find out what motherboard you have. If you have a pre-built PC (ex., Dell, eMachines, Compaq, HP), then you have to do a search using the model number of the computer to find the motherboard audio drivers.

You need these drivers to get functionality for on-board audio. If you reinstall Windows, you'll want (sometimes need) to reinstall drivers for all your motherboard components. HP, Dell, etc, should have a complete list of drivers for you make/model PC.

The first time around, I basically put the video card in and used the disk that came with it. then I realized there was no sound and decided to get the latest driver by update it from Nvidia. that didn't help. I then did the uninstall and found the original audio drivers and did a lot of trial and error and got no where.

if this helps, my PC is the Pavilion a1440n XP Media Center edition but I currently have Vista 32 bit Home Premium installed. Motherboard Intel 945P

Try your best. Use Google to find out what you can. I don't know how to help you more than I have. Read it again and see if you realize anything you missed.

On the other hand, $30 isn't bad for 5.1 external audio, and it would probably save you a couple of hours of grief and probably sound much better with more features.

Try your best. Use Google to find out what you can. I don't know how to help you more than I have. Read it again and see if you realize anything you missed.

On the other hand, $30 isn't bad for 5.1 external audio, and it would probably save you a couple of hours of grief and probably sound much better with more features.

yeah its really my 2nd last option right now. I don't want to buy/make a whole new rig but I have been looking at this beast. http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-HP-HPE-450F/15066058

Download Driver Sweeper and use that to uninstall and clean up you video card drivers. Especially if you didnt uninstall your old drivers before installing your new card. Then uninstall everything related to your sound card. Restart the computer and go into the Bios to make sure the on-board sound card is enabled like Vegeta said. Then install the newest realtek drivers. Then install the newest nvidia drivers. If that doesnt work then you're probably just boned. You really shouldn't need to buy new hardware though, that doesn't make any sense if your motherboard is new enough to have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.

EUREKA! The new sound card solved all my problems. It actually sounds much better and more like my Home Theater even with my 5.1 surround sound system. before I had 5.1 enabled but this is really nice :)

regardless it was an extra $30 and the sound is much richer in content.

EDIT: but thank you all for the recommends. I hate it when PCs fail but this hiccup has made me learn just a little bit more about how complex a system can be

You probably could have turned your realtek audio back on in the bios. When I installed my Radeon 5670, it disabled my onboard audio (also realtek). In the bios, I was able to enable it. No sound card needed.

Go in BIOS to see if your onboard sound (or whatever you use) got disabled? I'm assuming perhaps your video card has HDMI or some other form of audio output (which is kind of weird...)

You probably could have turned your realtek audio back on in the bios. When I installed my Radeon 5670, it disabled my onboard audio (also realtek). In the bios, I was able to enable it. No sound card needed.

:llll

guys I'm happy, the sound is much better and more crisp. It really sounds like my optical out does on my TV to my Sony Receiver.

I'm glad.

You should start shopping online if you can wait a couple of days. You can almost always get better hardware for less.

Back