Vote for Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently, Call of Duty: Black Ops came top in a poll conducted by Guinness World Records to find the Greatest Videogame Ending.
[br]
Some Valve titles got some decent votes with Half-Life 2: Episode 2 coming 43rd, Portal 2 coming 17th and Portal securing itself a spot in the top 10 at 7th.
[br]
Now, DigitalSpy are running their own poll with a smaller number of nominees but with Portal, Half-Life and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 Valve may well come off better in this poll.
[br]
To cast your vote, head here.

These aren't "best ending" polls so much as "which game has the largest rabid fanbase" polls.

Tough poll. I've got major respect for some of these games (and some not so much). EP2 still wins for me, just barely beating the likes of Shadow of the Colossus and Braid.

Those... games... so... lackluster...

Man, people have shit taste. Especially if COD: BLOP's is there.

What the **** is Guinness doing polling something like this and what are half those titles doing up there.

Seriously, you have three Assassins Creed games on that list. You cannot tell me that each one of those had a glorious ending. And Bioshock? Fallout 3? There's no point in making a poll about this kind of thing because fans are just going to vote for their favorite game regardless of its qualifications.

Black. ****ing. Ops?

Oh come on. Voted for "Half-Life: Episode 2". Goddamn Valve not letting go of their episode scheme, been around since 1999.

What the **** is Guinness doing polling something like this and what are half those titles doing up there.

Lets take a quick look at some of the amazing entries in the Guinness Book of World Records - Gamer Edition 2012..

First HD Remake of a Stealth Game: Splinter Cell Trilogy
First use of a Computer-Controlled HELP! Feature: New Super Mario Bros Wii
Largest Range of Bombs in a Stealth Game: Assassins Creed Revelations
Most Realistic Mountain Ranges in a game: SSX
Longest Wait for a HD remake of a Shooter: Radiant Silvergun

http://kotaku.com/guinness-world-records/

Point being, the book is a pile of random and useless manure. By including games that sell well, they increase the chance their crappy book will sell to the fans of said games.

Something like "Best Ending" is being used for a poll, because its completely subjective and the argument will generate Internet traffic.

It would be like giving the Guinness World Record for "Most Attractive Person", "Tastiest Food" or "Most Annoying Prick".

These aren't "best ending" polls so much as "which game has the largest rabid fanbase" polls.
Absolutely. They could set the poll as 'Worst game ever made' and the aforementioned rabid fans would just bang their head on they keyboard to vote for their favourite game without even reading the context of the poll.

Also why isn't minesweeper on the list?

BLOPS ending was the best because it meant you didn't have to play it anymore :p Right??? RIGHT??!!!!

I'm sorry....

The game I'd vote for wasn't in there: Grim Fandango! Seriously, more people need to know about that game, even if it is old. It's still a classic.

Portal? A good ending? Haha, nah. Voted Red Dead Redemption. One of the most powerful endings I've ever seen.

Wow. I haven't checked in on what's been going on in the Guinness book for more than a decade (apart from seeing the "Video Game Edition" on store shelves), but this is not the sort of thing they're supposed to be about. They used to be about objective, measurable world records. "Fastest selling video game" could be approprite, or "Biggest LAN party" or "Most expensive videogame production" or "Fastest consumer graphics card" (which may have multiple winners by different metrics) or "Longest continuous play session by a single player" or "Longest cutscene"

"Greatest ending" is just silly. It'd be like looking to the Guinness book for the "Best Movie" instead of IMDB or AFI lists.

Back