We're back.

StarMonkey

ValveTime Admin | Mighty Pirate
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and welcome back to halflife2.net. The last few weeks have been a bit of a nightmare for us, but we've managed to get everything back up and running, and now with a nice new site design, and loads of new content.

When we went offline around 13th March due to a bit of a dispute with our last host, we seemed to be dead in the water. It didn't look like there was anyone willing to sponsor a site that uses as much bandwidth as we do. We were close to buying our own webserver, with a few staff members donating money towards it with the hope of getting some advertising revenue, when Chris_D decided to contact Gabe Newell at Valve.

Gabe put us in touch with Erik Johnson, who planned to get our site up as quickly as possible on Valve's own webservers. This proved to be a bit more of a problem than anyone anticipated, with the Valve servers not really having the facilities in place to host outside sites.

At this point, Erik put us in touch with Mike Apgar at Speakeasy.net, who we were in discussions with for just over a week. As we were deliberating over going with Speakeasy's offer, Erik contacted us again, saying that we would probably be better suited by going with the company who they are moving all of their websites to, Limelight Networks. At this point I'd like to thank Mike Apgar from Speakeasy for being very helpful and offering us what looked to be a good deal. Whilst we chose not to go down this route, I'd recommend Speakeasy if any big sites are looking for hosting.

Limelight then gave us a server to set up and run our site on just over a week ago. Since then, we've been helped vastly by Bryn Moslow from Valve, who has put a lot of effort into setting up and configuring the server so that it works. Without him we'd probably still be sitting at a bash prompt without anything configured.

So, in no particular order, I'd like to thank the following people for helping us out over the last few weeks...

Gabe Newell, Erik Johnson, and Bryn Moslow from Valve
Mike Apgar and Edward Bender from Speakeasy.net
Mohan Kokal from Limelight Networks

Extra thanks to Limelight Networks (http://www.llnw.com) for helping out and providing a server and bandwidth for us to use.

Hopefully we'll be back for the forseeable future.

Now go and look around our new content.

Much love to VALVe and LimeLight networks. Both companies produce awesome stuff!

Major props to valve and Limelight. Hey guys if you needed help configuring the server I could have helped. :p

Glad everything is running again, keep up the good work guys!

The site isn't quite up for me.. I just was given a link to the forums. The main site still says it's down..

Whiteboy try a hard refresh of the main page or clear your cache it is there :)

Looks like the DNS hasn't been updated yet - at least not for me.
Well the IP address works so I guess it'll be alright in a few days :)

Good job everyone!

Munro, I try to avoid clearing cookies and such since I have sooo many passwords saved on sites. Is there a chance of it clearing itself up within a dday or so?

We have no cookies for the main page but there should be an index.html/index.php in your temporary internet files. If you searh for this and delete it you should be able to view the site. Ctrl and F5 worked fine for me though :O

Just a note to all those using the IP: You may notice a lot of missing pages, files, images and your forum cookie will not be stored on your PC. You will need to use the domain name to view it properly.

Or you can use the hosts file :)

Add this line to C:\WINDOWS\hosts (Win 9x) or C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Win XP):

69.28.175.116 www.halflife2.net

This makes Windows skip the DNS resolving and go directly to the IP.
The site should work fine after you saved the file. Remember to remove the line once the DNS is updated.

I really would not recommend that. Last time that happened about 30 people were left wondering why they couldn't access the site when we moved servers :) Only do it if you remove it once the DNS has updated don't leave it there for months :)

True. But typing /xxx.php after the IP address every time is a tad annoying too ;)
I reckon most people won't see the site until the DNS is updated anyway, so it's not too much to worry about, heh.

Munro said:
I really would not recommend that. Last time that happened about 30 people were left wondering why they couldn't access the site when we moved servers :) Only do it if you remove it once the DNS has updated don't leave it there for months :)
What i've done, becuase I can't be arsed with the IP-adress phaffery :D

I found it by looking through my personal website's access logs. Occasionally I get bored enough to try to figure out who's looking at my work.

Finally!! And you published my article!! SWEET:cheers:

Good to see it all back up again :) Kudos to valve, speakeasy and limelight.

You guys chose a good time to come back, especially with all the HL 2 suff coming up in PC Gamer and at E3. I'm glad the site is back on-line :)

mmmm hl2.net

there has been a gaping hole in my web-surfing experiance for the last month

I think it's GREAT how valve helped you guys out...they are so responsive to their fans with emails and stuff, and also help you guys out with the site, plus they are developing the best game ever made.

VALVE WE LOVE YOU!!! :D

Yeah Valve and Limelight have been absolutely great to us. You could imagine other developers and their partners not helping out at all, or even if they did it'd be for their own gain like demands of massive banners and advertisements, but Valve or Limelight didn't want anything at all. They didn't even expect us to write messages of thanks to them here, but of course we would because they deserve our gratitude :)

Once and for all aswell, we feel as though we have a host we can trust, one that's reliable and one that's going to allow us to expand as much as we need to. We're certainly very happy.

Oh...CAN YOU FEEEEEEEL THE LOOOOOOVVE TONITTEEEEE!!!!!!!
/hugs everyone!

sorry 'bout that :eek:

Damn, I simply can not believe how kind a company like Valve can be. I can not imagine another game company helping out a fan site to get everything going. Glad that the site is finally back, I've been getting withdrawals.

wow that kicks ass!

Valve was really helping hl2.net out , so imagine how cool they will b e when hl2 is released , thats awesome and im glad hl2.net is back up!

iamaelephant said:
You got Valve involved? No wonder there were so many delays ;)
Wow, a delay post that actually made me laugh :E :cheers:

I am back, biatch!
Ha guys, so tell us, how is your copy of HL2 doing? I know guys you LAN there, DAMN TELL US!

Nice to have site back up, I missed all of you guys :) Internet is boring without HL2.net (damn, I am such ass kisser).

Mr.Reak said:
I am back, biatch!
Ha guys, so tell us, how is your copy of HL2 doing? I know guys you LAN there, DAMN TELL US!

Nice to have site back up, I missed all of you guys :) Internet is boring without HL2.net (damn, I am such ass kisser).
No you can't play our copy of Half-Life 2! Go away!!

No Limit said:
Damn, I simply can not believe how kind a company like Valve can be. I can not imagine another game company helping out a fan site to get everything going. Glad that the site is finally back, I've been getting withdrawals.
Bare in mind No Limit that although we are very appreciative to Valve for sorting the deal out for us, we are actually especially appreciative to Limelight Networks for actually offering us what they have done for free.

Back