What game genre do you wish would go away?

Theres been worthwhile Vietnam games?

Theres been worthwhile Vietnam games?

Vietcong was decent... Battlefield Vietnam was a decent PG-ified Vietnam game.

Men of Valor was probably the best 'nam game I've ever played.

whats with Turn based hate? :(

what about Civilization or Xcom or Jagged Alliance(s)?

I'd get rid of movie to games and sports games (racing can stay I guess.)

whats with Turn based hate? :(

These threads have been done before, which genre to get rid of, they just bring hate.

From ppl sayin I wish Doom3 would die makes me laugh now. What genre to get rid of?
archilles_d said:
doom 3 basically...?
I'm not getting in any of these things anymore tho. That comment had me laughing this time. so funny. LOL

Thats why I left like 8 months ago, if anyone remembers. I got tired of defending my opinion about Doom 3, and thats all there was too it.

Well, yesterday I decided to see whats happening here, I visited the site, and was reading some of the things people say here, and I just had to comment. Nothing has changed. Sony fans still bicker with Xbox fans, but I'm not getting in anymore arguments. It's unhealthy.

The opinions here on this forum are a sharp contrast, meaning some people love 1 thing and some people hate it, and thats actually a good thing if you think about it. You are much better informed and can be exposed to things you never knew you would like.

/end box

If push came to shove i'd ditch driving games or rts.

Games that are over-simplified in the pursuit of being "kids" games. Now everything doesn't have to be civilization, but either build in a learning curve or depth that slowly becomes available. Remember that kids actually pick up stuff faster than adults most of the time.

FPS games like Half life 2.

Oh SHI

I mean racing games. I dont like their kind.

Turn based, japanese, console games. Final Fantasy, etc. Hate em. Only turn based game I loved was Jagged Alliance 2, which was simply epic.

Also, Guitar Hero 1 & 2. I find the game stupid and boring.

Hey, hey, Uriel's back! I didn't recognize the new av. :D

What I wish would die is the insane Korean MMO. There are waaaaay to many of those things. At least they're free though.

Honestly there isn't really a genre that I wish would die, except perhaphs the 'movie-video-game-cash-in'.

No genre bothers me really. But genre's that I pretty much never play are sims, except car sims, and subscription based mmorpg grindfests. So I would not be hurt if those two went away, but I do not wish them to be gone.

These threads have been done before, which genre to get rid of, they just bring hate.

From ppl sayin I wish Doom3 would die makes me laugh now. What genre to get rid of? I'm not getting in any of these things anymore tho. That comment had me laughing this time. so funny. LOL

Thats why I left like 8 months ago, if anyone remembers. I got tired of defending my opinion about Doom 3, and thats all there was too it.

Well, yesterday I decided to see whats happening here, I visited the site, and was reading some of the things people say here, and I just had to comment. Nothing has changed. Sony fans still bicker with Xbox fans, but I'm not getting in anymore arguments. It's unhealthy.

The opinions here on this forum are a sharp contrast, meaning some people love 1 thing and some people hate it, and thats actually a good thing if you think about it. You are much better informed and can be exposed to things you never knew you would like.

/end box

Boo ****ing hoo. Don't like it? Don't contribute. There's obviously something wrong on your end if you can't seem to take someone elses opinion on something you like.

What's wrong with RTS? :|
Samon -

For me, it's just that they are so complicated. Theres way too much too learn for someone who never played them. It's like they expect you to be a pro at these games before you even buy it.

I'm getting my ass kicked, and I have no idea what button to push.

I have no idea what are the capabilities of my enemies, or myself for that matter. You have to click on some guy, then tell him to move over 2 spaces, and fix something, then build something. How do you zoom out, what buttons do what? what is the point, how do you freaking play! All this happens while I'm being killed.

I never gave it a chance, it just doesn't grab me. I've never liked games where you click a spot on the screen to move your character there as well, so that just puts the nail in the coffin.

The only one I ever learned how to play, and really loved, was Super Conflict, for the Super Nintendo. I still like that game. The game had a fatal bug in it that wouldn't let you progress after you got about 1/3 of the way through the game though. Wait, it wasn't RTS, it was TBS Turn based strategy. .. so nevermind.

Boo ****ing hoo. Don't like it? Don't contribute. There's obviously something wrong on your end if you can't seem to take someone elses opinion on something you like.
I don't feel like ressurrecting what happened. But It was every other post where I would get in an argument, and I got tired of that. Either that, or I'd have to look up all kinds of shit, just to post it to prove my points. I don't have time for that, and I don't have time in my life to argue with people constantly. Oh, and the hate thing, I'm refering to all of the, "your a fanboy" stuff.

franchises and fads will always be there, I do think, however, that publishers and developers need to take more risks. Way more risks.

Anything sport-related except from Tony Hawk Skateboarding and some car games.

What's wrong with RTS? :|

I'm just bored with them - build orders, rushes. Bar a few excepetions, things haven't really moved on since I was playing aoe and c&c. The excitment has gone.

What I want is a glorious return to turn based strategy games.

All genre's are good. I don't hate any single one, I like great games from all of them.

But the latest 3D Worms sucked. Go back to freakin 2D an improve that! We need another great Worms game to get people playing games purely based on fun rather than realism. :afro:

WWII shooters. It's been done to death. Let it freaking die already.

I dunno, I really love them still. The good ones, anyway.

I love this genre as well, I don't think it's even been perfected yet at all narrative wise. I've yet to become attached to a character in an WWII game.

I dunno, I really love them still. The good ones, anyway.

It's just a matter of an overdose of familiarity for me. I watch WWII documentaries, WWII movies, take classes where I learn about WWII, and play game after game after game about WWII. I want fresh material.

Off course you could say get rid of all games that fall under a typical stereotypical genre. Instead you want to have a game that prefably follows the rules of "several genres-in-one", or at least gives an impression of something like that by offering mini-games

Take Oblivion for example, your bogstandard RPG. Add the ability to play tennis in the arena with clubs and using goblins as balls. Even bare-fist knuckle fighting is enough to make Oblivion a sports game as well as a RPG fantasy epic

World War Two shooters and Star Wars cash-ins. So many times over.
These two forms of gaming are responsible for stiffling masses and masses of creativity within the gaming industry, plus they're so DONE.
If I never have to use an M1 or a Thompson SMG ever again in a game, I shall be very happy indeed.

If I never have to use an M1 or a Thompson SMG ever again in a game, I shall be very happy indeed.

Damn right. The STEN gun is the only way to go! :p

But yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Personally I think they need to take what has been learned from games like that and start looking at other periods, like a game based on the Soviet-Afghan war, or even something like Cuban Missile Crisis: The Aftermath, in a fictional WWIII. I'd really love an FPS in such a setting. Something which has both the beginings of modern warfare as well as a few WWII hangers on, that isnt set in Vietnam (Vietnam games are great, but theres all that NATO and Warsaw Pact equipment just crying out to be used in the way it was intended, not in the jungle of SE Asia). Or the Arab-Isreali wars, they'd be interesting too. So many interesting periods so horribly overlooked. ;(

WWII shooters. It's been done to death. Let it freaking die already.

Kinda agree. Games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty... to me it's all just the same. Especially with the MOH series... they churn a new one out every month I swear!

Company of Heroes was an awesome game.

I hate turn-based.
You oviously haven't played Worms (2D versions) or Advance Wars.

For me, it's just that they are so complicated. Theres way too much too learn for someone who never played them. It's like they expect you to be a pro at these games before you even buy it.

I'm getting my ass kicked, and I have no idea what button to push.

I have no idea what are the capabilities of my enemies, or myself for that matter. You have to click on some guy, then tell him to move over 2 spaces, and fix something, then build something. How do you zoom out, what buttons do what? what is the point, how do you freaking play! All this happens while I'm being killed.
Play the singleplayer missions and tutorials before trying to play other people?

Eh Korean MMOs or any of those free ones. I can't stand the maple story kids at my school.

Kid1: OH DUDE HOW DID YOU SPEND YOUR VACATION?
Kid2: PLAYING MS WHAT ELSE DUDE LOL
Kid1: OMG ME TOO ROFLOMFG

Also surprised at the amount of people that said Games like Guitar Hero. You people don't like music or something? :|

Company of Heroes proves to me that I have no problem with WWII games as an idea as long as you do something new and do it well.

Categories that games like Guitar Hero fall into and for some reason i also want MMORPGs to go.
Yes theyre billion dollar industries and you meet new people all the time so its sociable, but games like WoW and Guild Wars ruined my life. I stopped seeing friends, doing homework and coursework etc...and whats worse is how i cant stop thinking about them now that ive left..FFS!

That's my brother's story as well. He became completely obsessed with WoW and lost every friend he had, as well as ruined his grades. He's still obsessed. Poor bastard.

I'm not a huge fan of RPG's, racing, fighting, and sports games.

Games based on disney movies or any cartoon TV show.

Back