What I wanna Build

Uriel

Tank
Reaction score
Still looking at what to buy. Obviously I'm going to wait till after Christmas for the best deals, but it looks like I'm screwed in the Ram category. All the new boards use DDR2. Including the AM2 boards. I looked at the board that was compatible with both, but I'm a little iffy unless the board has very good reviews.

So I gotta bite my upper lip and take a kick to my Chachi and buy DDR2, now I just need the approval from you guys on the hardware I wanna buy. If I can improve and go cheaper, please tell me.

MOBO & CPU
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2478134&CatId=0

VIDEO CARD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2570706&CatId=2514

MEMORY
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1071042&CatId=2261

Definitely will be waiting after Christmas, this junk is expensive.
Suggestions?
Question about SATA HD's. Whats the benefit compared to a ATA HD?

So you are looking for the superhighend stuff? Then I think you need better ram than that. Look for Corsair twin2x pc 6400C4 if you can find them. And be sure to get a big case, the video card is HUGE.

Serial ATA has a faster transfer rates, a smaller cable and has the ability to switch drive while the pc is still active.

I'm aiming for something thats gonna run UT2007 with no problems.
......I feel like a bum spending this much, maybe I should go cheaper.

I just haven't had a top of the line computer (or something close) ever, and its gotta last me a while

If it's for UT2007 maybe wait till the game is nearly ready? The longer you wait the better hardware you'll end up with. Too many times i've upgraded yet had not alot to play.

The RAM is fine. Honestly, the timings on the RAM do not do that much to worry about. Quantity of RAM is so much more important than quality. SATA HDs have insane transfer rates. After having one, I would have no reason to go back.

Everything else looks solid. I've never had an MSI MB but I haven't seen any complaints.

Personally i'd go for the gigabyte DS3 where motherboards are concerned (many of the forumites, brick included if i remember corectly, have gone for this motherboard) top notch board, stable, and ripe for overclocking.

Where ram is concerned, i'd go for some sticks with a higher bandwidth, in fact my choice would most likely be what brick suggested, as the prices soon start to escalate with higher bandwidth and lower latency timings (which make v little difference as far as core2duo are concerned).

But as someone has already said, if you want a machine that will run a particular game very well then you are best off waiting until nearer the release of that game, when you will be able to get the same things for less, not to mention there is the chance that better products will have been released for a similiar price.

I agree with 3ssence. Though I got an Asus P5B deluxe. The gigabyte mobos are good for overclocking, but mine is awesome for overclocking.

DirectX 10 improves the graphics, security, and performance of your operating system. Download and install this update for your Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP-based system.

lol.

I agree with 3ssence. Though I got an Asus P5B deluxe. The gigabyte mobos are good for overclocking, but mine is awesome for overclocking.

Ah, ok, soz, thought you got the gigabyte !!

The Asus is an awesome board though

:D

I don't plan on really overclocking unless there is a need to & it's an automatic option. I shouldn't have to worry about it though with a high end video card right?

I don't plan on really overclocking unless there is a need to & it's an automatic option. I shouldn't have to worry about it though with a high end video card right?

Its not really worth to overclock if it's automatic

I'm talking about easy options to overclock. In my BIOS on my mobo right now theres an easy option to "overclock" it.

They often don't work very well, and very small overclocks with these automatic methods are often unstable. Manual overclocking is always the best bet.

Back