What other locations would be good for this game?

Warsaw.
No seriously I would like to play something like No Mercy and escape from Pałac Kultury i Nauki.
Spoiler(LOL, Poland):
u132.jpg

Not exactly on-topic, but nice coincidence anyway:

The Subway station in No Mercy is called Holly Street Station. The apartments in Dead Air 1 (The Greenhouse) are called Holly Street Apartments.

Large apartment building/office tower/hotel/whatever, big multi-story buildings are awesome. That office building part in Dead Air is my favorite part of the game, but it's too short!
Also a rescue gamemode of some sort, where you have to rescue other survivors who are trapped or holed up somewhere and lead them to safety.

I'd love a really good mall map done by Valve at some point.

Will never be done. Dead Rising thought they could get away with this idea as well but instead ended up with messy lawsuit from whoever owns the rights to Dawn of the Dead. The last thing Valve wants is to get sued for taking an idea which has already been used enough times.

Tbh, and this isn't meant to be crazy as i'm actually quite serious, but i hope to see a space shuttle kind of map in the future made by valve. It should be pretty eerie in the same way dead space is, but obviously suited for left 4 dead. There should be zero grav areas where the zombies float around in hordes and slowly try to attack you, as well as gravity tunnels that project you in a roller-coaster liek ride while enemies try to stop you. like that awesome part in crysis where he goes in the alien tunnels really fast. You should be able to lock zombies outside an airlock and watch them get sucked into space.. Would be wicked not to meantion the actual environment would be cool and different than the norm in l4d.

We might pass through some kind of mall at a point. But it won't be a main location like Mercy Hospital.

Wait, how can they get sued for making a zombie game in a mall. They don't own the intellectual properties to every mall in every game that has zombies. They problem had to be with something else...either a name they used IN the mall, or they tried to sue and failed.

Wait, how can they get sued for making a zombie game in a mall. They don't own the intellectual properties to every mall in every game that has zombies. They problem had to be with something else...either a name they used IN the mall, or they tried to sue and failed.

Gamasutra said:
Capcom has filed suit against MKR Productions, the holders of the rights to the Dawn of the Dead films, to "eliminate any doubt" that its massively popular Xbox 360 game Dead Rising does not infringe on the company's rights.

When the game originally shipped in 2006, an unusual disclaimer on the package hinted at what was to come: "This game was not developed, approved or licensed by the owners or creators of George A. Romero?s Dawn of the Dead." It was widely assumed that this was included because both the game and the film deal with a zombie invasion of a suburban shopping mall.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17406

Think of it as a pre-emptive strike - MKR was trying to trademark "Dead Rising" and probably preparing to sue Capcom's pants off.

According to Capcom, in 2007, MKR also filed a Notice of Opposition to block Capcom's trademark registration for Dead Rising. Capcom is seeking a declaratory judgment to protect its rights in the game, and to prove that the scenario of zombies attacking a mall is an "unprotectible theme" under copyright law. The complaint states that Capcom is filing suit in anticipation of action from MKR.

MKR sued Capcop about a week later. Let me see...

Bingegamer said:
MKR Group’s complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in New York this past Monday, partially reads:

Both works are dark comedies. In both, the recreational activities of the zombies and absurdly grotesque ‘kill scenes’ provide unexpected comedic relief…

…Both works privided thoughtful social commentary on the ‘mall culture’ zeitgeist, in addition to serving up a sizable portion of sensationalistic violence.

Uh… duh? Seriously, who didn’t see this coming a mile away? When Dead Rising was first released, there was a sticker on the damn jewel case that informed people that this was not based directly on “Dawn of the Dead” — that’s how similar the two are.

MKR lost, btw.

FilmEsq said:
In an October 10, 2008 opinion, the court dismissed MKR Group's copyright counterclaim. Using the objective “extrinsic test," the court found that, as a matter of law, there was no substantial similarity between the Dead Rising video game and the Dawn of the Dead film. The court also dismissed MKR’s Lanham Act counterclaim. Although MKR sufficiently pled “source identifying elements,” the court found that a matter of law, those elements did not violate the Lanham Act. MKR’s remaining counterclaims were dismissed as preempted by the Copyright Act and the Lanham Act.

http://www.filmesq.com/2009/02/2008-in-review-zombie-video-game-did.html

Incidentally, did you know that the idea of zombies as we know them in the modern media was a) mostly based on Romero's creations in Night of the Living Dead, and b) accidentally entered into the public domain thanks to an error in the end credits of said movie?

Incidentally, did you know that the idea of zombies as we know them in the modern media was a) mostly based on Romero's creations in Night of the Living Dead

Well, yeah... being one of the most influential horror films since it's release n' all. :p

I was more interested in the second bit. Zombies might have been copywrited exclusively for Romero's use!

Ohhh, I did not know that, actually. Huh.

What a bastard.

But anyway, I usually think up all kinds of cool places I'd like to see Left 4 Dead staged around, but I cannot for the life of me remember any of them. A prison would be cool as Valve got the atmosphere bang on with Nova Prospekt, and it'd be even cooler if it did involve having to journey through older and newer sections, though that might be more fitting with the Half-Life universe than with prisons in use today. The old ruined parts of Nova Prospekt are creepy as hell.

Quite difficult to think of much as L4D covers quite a few bases with it's campaigns.

Fighting through a hotel, including the resteraunts, pool, carpark and obviously the actual hotel lobby and corridors.

Fighting through a hotel, including the resteraunts, pool, carpark and obviously the actual hotel lobby and corridors.

Apart from the restaurant and pool, you visit that in the Harbor View Hotel in Dead Air.

And though we only travel through one hall with a few rooms to the side, it really isn't that much of a fun segment, and to my knowledge hotels are pretty seamless in their corridor design.

Literally a corridor shooter.

Chicago

Then we find a room with a thousand dead zombies all beaten to death by hand..
by CHICAGO TED

Graaaaaaveyard

Caaaaargo Ship

Suburb, making your way through garages and backyards with pools.

Mines. Definitely. Also i wouldn't mind a campaign where the entire thing is set in one room that you can walk across in 5 steps. Each step fills up the room with infected and counts as a new round, and the opposite end acts as a finale, except creating three tanks at once.

City Hall. I personally think that would be awesome.

Which City Hall, there are several. I for one have one in my city.

Australian outback. That would be ****in intense, you'd have to get help from the local Aboriginies...but they wouldn't be able to help.

Because they would be drunk.

They drink because they're Aboriginies.

Oh god every time I read this I break out laughing. :LOL:

Something more water oriented. Docks, or something.

I was also thinking a military base or air force base, but Dead Air kind of captures the "Flying" aspect of Left 4 Dead.

Back