Where did you first play Half-Life

Afnopo

Reaction score
My tale begins when I was in 3rd grade, we just where assigned to a Santa Cluase project, and I was partnered with my freind Nick. I had never been inside Nick's house, I don't remember much, but he had an amazing computer for the late 90's, when having 152 fps for Half-Life was amazingly good, he was playing a game I had never seen before called Half-Life. After I played it I thought it was fun, but not what I was looking for.
Time went by and 5 years later, forgeting all about Half-Life, my brother was playing a game with the most stunning graphics I had ever seen for a game, he was playing Half-Life 2, I though it might be as fun as Half-Life was long ago, so after playing and beating Half-Life 2 for the first time, I played it 3 more times before I noticed that this was the game of my dreams, and Half-Life 2 is still the best game I have ever played, and no game shall beat it.

:afro:

(Sorry for bad grammer, I am really tired from mapping today)

My first time playing Half-Life was when I bought Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. I bought a $70 box that came with different Valve games. But anyways, I decided to finally play Half-Life, unfortunatley everytime I got to one part my computer would freeze. So over the summer I decided to play Half-Life 2 that my brother got. I heavily enjoyed it and gave Half-Life another chance. It didn't freeze at all and I loved it the second time playing it. And after that, that is when I got Episode 1 & 2, then Team Fortress 2 (after discovering Team Fortress Classic in my $70 box). So I first played it at my mom's house, but fully experienced it in my room at my dad's house.

My 1st time was at my friends house. all i could remember was that his mom was a Milf and that he showed me HL1 on his PC. I asked him if I could borrow it and I played it all summer long. every week he'd call me up and ask if i was finished and i was but i just kept playing. then a little while later i found team fortress and was playing that everyday. i just love valve now

unknowingly, i played it when i was 5 at a cousins house after he picked it up day after launch. I bought Half Life 2 in a circuit city Xbox bargain bin in 2007. I loved it instantly :afro:

i remember playing it back in 1999. somebody at my YMCA program had a copy of Day One. i wasnt allowed to see it though because of all the dead scientists. then years later id see shitloads of copies of it at best buy, and decided to pick it up one day.

In 1998 at a friends house.Then i bought it for PS2 in 2001.Then bought it for pc a few years ago.

Bought it from Target?? I believe... in 1999, played it at my house and was blown away by the awesome graphics of the time :D

I first read about it in Computer Gaming World Magazine. My dad bought it for my brother and I watched him play up through after you get the crowbar. I don't remember when I first actually played it single player, but I do have a myriad of memories playing online.

I was raised in Bucharest, Romania. I was 19 years old when Half Life was released.
In 1998, in Romania were no copyrights for music, movies, videogames and any other types of media, and it was enough for someone to buy Half Life and crack it, the next week the whole country was playing it. Back then, it was the same with many videogames like Fallout, Starcraft, Quake 2, etc.

Anyway, in 1998, that magazine I read (and bought) had an attached cd with demos for various upcoming games. I remember playing Half Life Uplink and I was stunned by the beauty of the game. It was a Quake 2 engine with very clean textures and amazing lighting. The sound of the firing SMG and the bullet shells dropping on the concrete floor was absolutely fantastic. I played that demo like 10 times at work because I wasn't having a computer at home. Over a few weeks, I saw the game in an internet cafe where I was going pretty often for beautiful Starcraft LAN games with my friends. I played the game 6 nights in a row, I booked that computer for the whole week. :)

There's no telling what I felt when I was the in the tram for the first time, a full intro of 7-8 minutes made totally from engine scenes, that beautiful female voice, the robots wandering through acid waste, the whole Black Mesa displayed in front of my eyes, the confusion when thinking... "where the hell are my weapons, is it possible to be a bug, I'm not seeing the hud, wtf?" Piece by piece, things connected to each other, I was relieved to get my hud once I took the hazard suit. I finally found my way to the test chamber, where the hell broke lose, I got the crowbar....maaaaaaaaan, I was THERE, in that WOLRD, it was amazing, better than sex, and definitely better than any other game at the time. Characters talking and follwing me, realistic guns firing with recoil, woah!, and the game was infinite, I was playing for 3 days with minimum sleep time and still no end!
I jumped from the chair when I first met a headcrab in the vent, I was clueless for hours when facing the tentacle, I died a billion times till I found out how that ion cannon works, I was lost in the portals, I was lost again on Xen...
I played the game several times in the next year.
Since then, I play the game every year.

The history repeated with HL2, this time we had E3, trailers, those incomplete Source maps hacked from Valve, I was so anxious waiting for the game to be released!

In conclusion, Half life is more than a game for me. It's a part of me, it's an adventure, it's an experince.

About a week after it came out, I thought, 'Hey, why don't I buy this. It looks cool.'

I went home, opened it, and played it.

Then I lol'd because I wasn't in my own house.

In 1998 I first saw Half-Life 1, I was impressed but not mesmorized.

5 years later Half-Life 2 was announced, but I wasn't convinced.
Then it was released & my life changed forever, now I'll be a Half-Life forever...

Opposing Force demo from a magazine's disc. Later my brother borrowed it off a friend. It was the PS2 version and at the time my brother had for some reason loned our memory card to someone else, so I never got past Blast Pit. Later I bought a Half-Life boxset that came with HL, OF, BS and CS.

I first played HL2 at a friend's house, and loved it.

I stole the disc from him, took it home, and still have it in the original case.

Which I think is pretty damn awesome.

I just started playing all the games a few weeks ago at a friend's house. I've known about them ever since HL2 came out, but why I waited so long to try them out, I don't know. But I'm really glad I did, they are amazing.

I first played HL1 soon (like within a year of release soon so not terribly soon) after it was released when I borrowed it off my bro , in my house. Cant really remember much of it back then cause I was pretty young. And how comes you guys all played it at a friends house first? Whenever I tried to get my mates to buy it they always forget to :|.

November, '98.

I used to play Dark Forces (and other LucasArts games) all day in 90's. There was a big fight between FPS titles in 98. I discovered Half-Life on some magazine (called Level, now Oyungezer), but didn't care.

While returning home from after a short walk (it was a cold day), I bought it with my (father's) last money. I went back to home, and installed it on my computer (see below for my specs). It was an amazing experience for me, and it changed my life forever.

Pentium I, 1,5 GB harddisk, 64 MB RAM, S3 Virge 16 MB

I was in 4th grade (it was 1999). I saw my uncle playing it online and it looked awesome. so a few months later it was my birthday and thats what i wanted. I played it for what seemed like forever at the time but really only made it to "blast pit" and i could not for the life of me figure out how to kill the tentacle. Some time passes i got a bit older and a bit wiser and decided to give half-life another try. I figured out how to kill the tentacle then realized just how much of the game was still left. I replayed the game multiple times, loving every minute of it. To this day there is no game or series of games that i have played more than the half-life series

I was 2nd or 3rd grade when I first tried it but I was too scared to play it. My friends at school and I always commented what would happen next. Aaah! Goooood times :).

I was about 13 when I first played it. I got it for the Playstation 2, scared the s**t outta me. Enjoyed playing the multiplayer version Decay aswel which only comes with the PS2 Game.

A friends house in England. I only got to Office Complex or whatever it was called and then screamed because of the headcrab in the vent after the electric room.

I remember playing the demo when i was about 5-7 years old. After my brother finished the demo we didn't play it again until something wrong happened to our computer and the store we bought the computer from gave us some games (don't remember why) and one of them was Half-life. Then we would be pissed off how long it took to wait in the train at the beginning. BUT i loved the suprises (such as the headcrab in the vent) and the game but i only made it to the last boss. I stopped playing when my brother finished it.

I got half-life 2 for chrismas but i must say ... not as good as the first one.

Back