Who's looking forward to Mass Effect 2 ?

Shyam

Reaction score
I have yet to play the first one. Maybe I could install it right now.

I liked the first one quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to the second one. My only hesitation comes from the rather uninspiring shooter element of it.

The first game's combat felt... sterile in comparison to other successful 3rd person shooters. Games like Uncharted 1/2 and Gears of War have a lot more going for them in combat than Mass Effect ever did. I think half of the problem is character animations. Everything seems so still an straight in Mass Effect where as the other games seem to have a lot more personality in it's firefights.

It sounds very superficial to complain about it, but my perception of a firefight's ferocity is relative to my enjoyment of it. There's more intensity in firefights in Uncharted 2 or Call of Duty 4 that make it seem like the characters are fighting for their lives. In Mass Effect it just feels like its a day job for them and that there is no real danger in any fight.

definitely looking forward to it but....
like Sparta said, the combat in the 1st left much to be desired
from what I can tell, though, 2 looks like a huge improvement

I don't care either way. Mass Effect is a good game, but people should stop jizzing in their pants at the sight of another AAA game.

I'll pick it up from a bargain deal I guess.

Tried starting a new playthrough a few months ago and just couldn't go on after landing on Eden Prime. Started a new one earlier today and played for about 6 hours straight.

It sounds very superficial to complain about it, but my perception of a firefight's ferocity is relative to my enjoyment of it. There's more intensity in firefights in Uncharted 2 or Call of Duty 4 that make it seem like the characters are fighting for their lives. In Mass Effect it just feels like its a day job for them and that there is no real danger in any fight.

I agree with this. I felt there was no urgency in firefights. And I agree with the point of of the player not feeling not under threat in fire fights. There is also another minor thing that annoyed me in the game. NPC's just rolling over for Shepard. I hope in ME 2 some NPC's will stand up to Shepard.

definitely looking forward to it but....
like Sparta said, the combat in the 1st left much to be desired
from what I can tell, though, 2 looks like a huge improvement

We have to see what that improvement really is. If Bioware's solution was just to throw in bigger and better weapons IMO they missed the issue people had with combat. As Sparta pointed out, there was no urgency in combat, you never felt like you were threatened in combat.

Yeah, this just popped up on my radar again recently and I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed the first game at the time, but with hindsight it actually sucked balls in quite a few ways. It was a basically a hybrid shooter/RPG - not being particularly good in either department. But the story, characters and universe were usually enjoyable enough to keep me interested.

Here's a pretty good video of combat in ME2 - http://g4tv.com/videos/42342/Exclusive-Mass-Effect-2-Combat-Gameplay-Video/?quality=hd

And a lengthy interview outlining pretty much all the improvements: http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/mass_effect_2/preview-2130.html

For some reason there seems to be ammo now which is confusing. Otherwise it's looking good to me in terms of combat. Might not be Gears of War, but a pretty nice step up from what I remember of ME1. But just as importantly - I want proper exploration and sidemissions this time round - the original was ****ing awful in that regard.

Basically, no more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G38QRmA4LMw&NR=1

I'm not really sure what that means, could you tell us more

The industry is evil and we should all be hipsters playing indie games.

Least thats my guess.

Anyway, Yes I'm looking foreward to it. Need to replay ME1 though, lost all my save files for it :<

No PS3 version = fail.

But I...yeah, I enjoyed the first one. It was different, but in a good way.

So theyve reduced loading times AND had to use 2 discs?

This is going to be one mahoosive game.

Then again, I was surprised at how much audio content they fit into the original. Every line was verbal. I know its the norm these days, but considering the size of the game as well...

Resident Evil 4 was on two discs on the Gamecube. It was still awesome.

The industry is evil and we should all be hipsters playing indie games.

Least thats my guess.

Anyway, Yes I'm looking foreward to it. Need to replay ME1 though, lost all my save files for it :<

No, people should stop bying into the hype and going "OMFG IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME" with only a handful of trailers and dev interviews at hand.

Resident Evil 4 was on two discs on the Gamecube. It was still awesome.

Have you seen the Gamecube's discs? Those little things suck. Xbox discs are full-sized DVDs. It's going to be gigantic.

And shut up mikael it's going to be awesome.

Hopefully it stays consistently good, or at least gets better as it goes on. Dragon Age.. eh.

I've tried so many times to get into the original and had some major trouble with it. I'm very indecisive on which class to pick, considering I always want to be able to decrypt lockers and stuff, but I also want to be able to use shotguns/have a reason to keep Garrus in my party because I really like him.

No, people should stop bying into the hype and going "OMFG IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME" with only a handful of trailers and dev interviews at hand.

That's not really what you implied in your post now though, is it. IS IT

Also, Bioware has a great track record, laid a decent foundation in the first game, and have talked at length about the changes they're making to improve the second, changes which are being shown in the trailers they're releasing.

tl;dr - stop being such a sourpuss

I am looking forward to it... really enjoyed the first one. Hell, I may even play it again before number two comes out.

I just think Mikael's angry at Mass Effect because it slept with his mother and never called her back.

I just think Mikael's angry at Mass Effect because it slept with his mother and never called her back.

No, he's angry at BiowWare because it slept with his mom and after she gave birth to Baldur's Gate 2 it abandoned'er!

Wrex had better f*cking be back. Tali and Garrus are confirmed to appear (thank god), but no Wrex = f*ck this game man. He was one of the few squadmates that didn't suck and was actually worth speaking to.

W00t!!!. Personally I'm pleased because there was way too much repetition of models and textures in the earlier game.

I'm perversely excited about this news, as it means more content and ~= longer game. A large proportion of Kotaku isn't, though

**** them, they are the biggest man babies of the internets (outside of AICN). No matter what the news, there is always someone begrudging it ('What!! I have to move my lazy fat ass off the sofa to change discs? **** that shit...')

Personally I think the videos have been fairly uninspiring, however DA: O had appalling trailers, but has actually turned out to be fairly good, so I'm cautiously optimistic that ME2 will turn out the same.

Wrex had better f*cking be back. Tali and Garrus are confirmed to appear (thank god), but no Wrex = f*ck this game man. He was one of the few squadmates that didn't suck and was actually worth speaking to.

I'd be very surprised if any of the disposable cast from the first game are back for anything more than a cameo appearance, simply because it's a case of diminishing returns in terms of VO cost.

I forgot where I found it online, but apparently the system requirements for the PC version are very reasonable, and the only DRM is a simple disc check for the retail version and whatever the distributor uses for the downloadable versions.

Definitely a must-buy, I loved the first game.

Wrex has already confirmed to be back iirc?

And like all other characters, he will remember your choices from your Mass Effect 1 save, so if you treated him like a dick he'll treat you like he should.

That's one of the things I'm the most excited about for Mass Effect 2, using saves from ME1 that carry over into the ingame story, characters etc.

I'd be very surprised if any of the disposable cast from the first game are back for anything more than a cameo appearance, simply because it's a case of diminishing returns in terms of VO cost.

Once again, BioWare has stated that the disposable characters from ME1 will return for ME2, if your savegame allows it.

For example, if you in your ME1 save sacrificed the Female Human, she won't return, but the Male Human will, and so forth.

Heck, it's one of the biggest advertising points of ME2, BioWare in interviews constantly claim stuff like "No other game has ever attempted to make a dynamic story using a gamesave from a previous game in the same way we have and ALL the decisions you made in Mass Effect 1 will have some impact in Mass Effect 2 if you use a Mass Effect 1 save to start your new ME2 game"(Not a literal quote but a collection of their quotes from various interviews)

really like the 1st game and could only give it one playthrough but this is a must buy game for me. im also reading the 2nd book and so far its pretty enjoyable

I dont have my savegames from ME1, how will this effect my ME2? Dont know if i want to replay the entire game just for this.

No PS3 version = fail.

But I...yeah, I enjoyed the first one. It was different, but in a good way.

Get it for the PC version

And like all other characters, he will remember your choices from your Mass Effect 1 save, so if you treated him like a dick he'll treat you like he should.

That's one of the things I'm the most excited about for Mass Effect 2, using saves from ME1 that carry over into the ingame story, characters etc.

Eh, I am a Bioware forumite (I think you know Gargantou) and I go to the ME 2 forums on a few occasions and Wrex has been confirmed as a cameo. When I mean cameo, I mean he is probably going to tag along with you for entire quest or something. And also the reasons Kadayi stated. But decisions you made still affect the sequel however. There was a hint of of that in the Thane reveal trailer, where you meet Nassana Dantius, the Asari diplomat who gives you a sidequest in ME.

I dont have my savegames from ME1, how will this effect my ME2? Dont know if i want to replay the entire game just for this.

I think the decisions you made in the first game affect your second game. It could affect the circumstances in which you meet the old squad mates. But Bioware has stated repeatedly that new players can play ME 2 very easily.

As was said, the first game's combat looked stiff. But it didn't just look stiff, it felt stiff. In fact the whole game felt stiff, whether you were in combat or walking around the citadel. I really hope they improve the animations and controls in this game to make feel and look more fluid.

Mass Effect is my Deus Ex. Everytime it is mentioned I want to go back and play MORREEEEEE. My hunger is insatiable!

I would imagine you'll simply get the "cannon" storyline with fixed persons who died at Vimere (major point, as it determines whos running around in ME2 and who isn't) along with what decisions were reached in other situations (rachni queen, etc). While you'll get a different experience from people who made certain decisions in a different way to what was expected by the developers, you'll still get a damn good experience, if previous bioware games are anything to go by.

I would imagine you'll simply get the "cannon" storyline with fixed persons who died at Vimere (major point, as it determines whos running around in ME2 and who isn't) along with what decisions were reached in other situations (rachni queen, etc). While you'll get a different experience from people who made certain decisions in a different way to what was expected by the developers, you'll still get a damn good experience, if previous bioware games are anything to go by.

AFAIK official Mass Effect 2 canon is still not established, I think BioWare are waiting to use XBL and other online systems ala BioWare Community to keep track of what decisions people make in Mass Effect 2 to decide what'll be the final 'official' canon, if you understand what I mean?

At least I hope they do.

Once again, BioWare has stated that the disposable characters from ME1 will return for ME2, if your savegame allows it.

For example, if you in your ME1 save sacrificed the Female Human, she won't return, but the Male Human will, and so forth.

Heck, it's one of the biggest advertising points of ME2, BioWare in interviews constantly claim stuff like "No other game has ever attempted to make a dynamic story using a gamesave from a previous game in the same way we have and ALL the decisions you made in Mass Effect 1 will have some impact in Mass Effect 2 if you use a Mass Effect 1 save to start your new ME2 game"(Not a literal quote but a collection of their quotes from various interviews)

Eh, I am a Bioware forumite (I think you know Gargantou) and I go to the ME 2 forums on a few occasions and Wrex has been confirmed as a cameo. When I mean cameo, I mean he is probably going to tag along with you for entire quest or something. And also the reasons Kadayi stated. But decisions you made still affect the sequel however. There was a hint of of that in the Thane reveal trailer, where you meet Nassana Dantius, the Asari diplomat who gives you a sidequest in ME.

Discussion going spoiler, in case anyone reading this thread hasn't played ME1

There were 3 disposable characters, Wrex, Ashley & Kaiden. Effectively who lived and who died, might vary across the board in terms of player choices. Now for sure it's highly likely that Wrex lived in most peoples games as there wasn't much advantage in killing him, however either Kaiden or Ashley definitely died (my inclination is most people let Kaiden die) as a result of the storyline events.

However I don't envisage that those who survived will necessarily be squad members simply because in the worst case scenario 2/3 are dead, which means given you have 10 squad member slots the developers have to create a full in reserved new character in the unlikely event that you have killed Wrex on top of Ashley or Kaiden.

Sure they could foist Wrex on a player, even though you killed him in the first game, but that would make a mockery of this whole idea that 'decisions count' line the developers are pushing, alternatively the developers might not fill that 10th slot, but effectively they'd be penalizing players in terms of choice for earlier renegade decisions, which again wouldn't really be acceptable.

The sensible route to take is to integrate the disposable characters from the first game into the second, but to do so in a cameo roles, that way they can be in the game, but not to the extent that they complicate matters in terms of the production.

I think that's pretty much spot on, Kadayi, they'd have to keep the characters with potential first-game deaths from the squad.

No squad Wrex ;( Grunt better be awesome

Incidentally someone posts on the RPS comments with the same handle, is that you?

I think that's pretty much spot on, Kadayi, they'd have to keep the characters with potential first-game deaths from the squad.

No squad Wrex ;( Grunt better be awesome

Incidentally someone posts on the RPS comments with the same handle, is that you?
Grunt is basically the "WOO YEAH SKULLF*CK EVERYTHING YEAH KILL DIE OH GOD AAAGHHHHHH YEAH DIE" and "I'M SUCH A WRECKLESS BADASS LOL" character, rather than the "Chillin' an tellin' stories while discussing the finer points of being a reptilian alien with four testicles" and "SHEPARD" character Wrex was.

Of course I'm just basing this off of his reveal trailer.

Back