Why doom 3 will suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazz Pants

Reaction score
well i originally wrote this on the savage fourms (wicked game by the way) and decided I'd see what you guys have to say about it also

---
Im totally gonna get flamed for saying doom 3 is goning to suck. but it is. everybody knows it. its goning to be crap to play and nice to look at. even unreal 2 is/will be funner to play than doom 3

While Doom 3 will suck as a game its engine will be wicked please keep in mind that I think the engine will be good for OTHER companies to make games with but I think ID has lost view of how to make good games or is still holding on to the 1990 way of how to make good games.

man i saw on blues news the post about how they're limiting the frame rates in doom 3 and there where like already 60 posts on the topic.
seriously who freaking cares if the frame rate is limited to 60FPS!!! i bet that no system right now could even reach that so who really cares. even if they could the human eye can't really distinguish between 30 and 60 frames a sec anyway (unless the framerate chops or jumps)(this is what got me on the topic)(and the frame cap and any frame rate blabber you want to post, post it in the doom 3 framerate thread please. If you insist on posting any frame rate stuff here please educate your self and read this article found on avault http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=fpsconspiracy I highly recommend a reading of this article to EVERYBODY it will make you smarter when it comes to computers/videogames no matter what, unless you've already read that article)

Anyways Why Doom 3 is going to Suck

-Doom 3 is going to play exactly the same as quake 2/doom guaranteed.

that’s the only point i need to make right there. Its going to be exactly the same as quake 2 and doom, maybe it'll combine the two, cause there’s such a big difference between the two in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong doom was an awesome game. I played Doom and loved it. Quake 2 was even not too bad but then again it was getting a bit repetitive near the end.

Really after like 10+ years you can't come up with more to the game than run around and shoot stuff (sometimes this works...sometimes).
I guess I’ve matured as a gamer, running around and shooting stuff with no real point or some weak story trying to drive the game is just boring especially if I’ve done it in the same setting before. Multiplayer can spice stuff up a little bit and maybe be the saving face of a game, which may happen here but I doubt it. There’s nothing special about any of ID's recent games other than the engines that they use (props to wolf 3d and doom). Let’s take a look at ID's last game they released.

--Quake 3.
-ok lets see it was a multiplayer only game, i guess because they got tired of trying to do the whole zombie on mars/in space story and epic was also doing a multiplayer only game. That’s all right tho because games can still be really fun and only be multiplayer (savage for example ;)).
-What did they improve on from Quake 2? The graphical engine. That’s it.
They totally killed any flow that the game had left in it with quake 3(which was not too much anyways after quake 2). The game is a total twitch fest with no flow or rhythm to it at all.
-oooh but they did add in new game types, capture the flag and umm I cant remember any of the other stuff cause it sucked just like their CTF sucked until their expansion pack. Wow they had capture the flag, or did they have that in quake 2 also? I can't remember if quake 2 came with CTF but I do know that I played capture the flag for quake in the form of a little mod called Team Fortress. Team Fortress was the best thing that happened to quake and it's whole line of games.
-What came of quake 3 - a nice engine for other games to build off of, and a twitch multiplayer death match FPS.

I love single player games, especially ones with a good fresh story and a different take on something. When a game tries to do single player with some rehashed thrown together piece of rabble story it sickens me.
The point is to retell the entire story of Doom from square one.
this is a quote taken from the pc.ign preview of doom 3. Freak if I wanted to hear the doom story again I'd install doom again and play it, but I’m not to inclined to do so because the doom story kinda blew chunks and when I say kinda I mean really blew chunks. Dang I feel like playing so many games again because of their stories but doom just isn't one of them (orginal unreal for instance). the doom story is like something pulled outta some sci-fi/goth wanna be geek's butt. Sure the story for doom's time was all right because you didn't need a story as long as you could shoot stuff. Seriously we where all just excited to shoot something on a computer when doom came out. I've seen mods that haven't even had any real work done on them yet with better stories than doom (hell blaze for HL2). Heck Hell Blaze is even in the same category as doom 3, but it has something new to offer it leaves things unknown and unexpected. Retelling the story of doom, while you're at it why don't you just do the exact same levels as the original doom had it'd be cooler that way, and hey why don't you just use sprites instead of models with a crazy high poly counts so people can actually play the game instead of watching a slideshow.
This time out the enemies will rarely appear in groups, preferring instead to take you on one-on-one.
Do you know why they're doing this? Cause you computer would explode if it tired to render more than 2 character models at the same time.

Ugh and there's not even going to be anything scary about doom 3. Man its going to be like wow look at that messed up thing that some dude made. oh wait there's two of them...and my computer just melted.
when doom came out I wasn't scared then and i was like 9 or so, but when the marine demo of aliens vs. predator came out, holy crap was i ever scared. when you hear those beeps on the motion sensor but can't see anything that just freaks you out. then you start hearing sounds and bam an alien pops outta nowhere and feasts on your sorry corpse. now that will make you scared. Doom severely lacks the atmosphere to make you scared, its more like shoot anything you can.
with doom 3 it'll be just like doom. wow a big cybernetic minotaur with a rocket launcher oooh I’ve never seen that before...wait I have in the original doom. ahh lookout there's zombie after me good thing I have this BFG 20billion that kills everything in one shot, or shall i use my rocket launcher. Look out for the flaming floating skull!!!!

Seriously the game Doom 3 will leave a bitter taste in the mouth of anybody who buys it for the game play. If you buy it to mod it that’s cool and I hope you make some wicked stuff.

I think these big name game companies should STEP UP and make something that's actually fun and new instead of just making a freaking demo of what their gaming engine can do and haveing stupid people buy it just cause it looks good.

Props to Valve for making Quake worth playing and for making some of the most ground breaking games ever.
Props to s2 for makin savage. a brand new fresh idea that works great and is a freaking blast to play.

and other people who know that doom 3 will suck post reasons that I've neglected to mention (the frame cap Isn't a reason)

ok now its time for replies. i could write more, alot more but its early in the AM and i should sleep. keep the flames/comments intelligent and not too harsh so the moderators don't close this thread

Well, the leaked alpha of Doom3 looks and plays like a tech showcase because it is a tech showcase.
Recent articles revealed that Doom3 will include innovative gameplay. Doom or Quake2 didn't have a scientict who backs you up with a flashlight. Neither did they have enemies that crawl over walls and ceilings.

Please wait for the final game or at least an official demo before passing your judgment on the gameplay.

Doom 3 is going to bring peace on earth. You watch, as soon as it comes out North Korea will cancel it's nuke program and start making Cabbage Patch Dolls, Osama Bin Laden will go into the Salvation Army, and Virginia will reunite with West Virginia.

Why doom 3 will suck? well obviously since you believe it "will suck" it must be so. Listen I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong or right. However I will tell you that this thread is going nowhere fast. So what if you're not into doom anymore. Just play another game, no one really cares. Don't take this personally but this thread is about the same as those "I like pie" threads.

Originally posted by alehm
Doom 3 is going to bring peace on earth. You watch, as soon as it comes out North Korea will cancel it's nuke program and start making Cabbage Patch Dolls, Osama Bin Laden will go into the Salvation Army, and Virginia will reunite with West Virginia.

Hi john titor.

DOOM3 SUK? you need to read more info and play the alpha if you could. I played the alpha and I say its 10* out of 10*.

Originally posted by G0rgon
DOOM3 SUK? you need to read more info and play the alpha if you could. I played the alpha and I say its 10* out of 10*.

I wouldnt give that alpha a 10 outa 10... mainly cuz its an alpha and glitchy as hell.

Another poster, who knows nothing particular about the game, rants as if he does.

Most stories in games are paper thin, HL included. HL didn't have much story. You pushcart a rock into this giant lightning machine (because, obviously, robotic arms weren't invented to handle dangerous otherworldly materials) and everything blows up, aliens are everywhere, converting people in zombies. You have to fight your way through the complex. Oh and the marines are killing everyone. Oh yeah, there's a big conspiracy behind it all--the G-Man knows it all. It sounds like a rehash of Doom written by a guy with tinfoil wrapped around his head so the aliens and government can't read his mind. Amazing story! If this was a movie the only success would be that you could laugh at how lame it is.

As far as gameplay, I haven't seen much new gameplay in FPS's in a while so I don't expect anything earth-shattering from any game.

Wow... all that article about the "FPS Conspiracy" says is that you can't see the difference between when a console is running at 30fps or 60fps... because TVs are limited to 30fps (whole frames).

That has no bearing on Doom 3 unless you lock your vertical refresh rate to 30Hz or 60Hz interlaced.

In PC games where there is fast movement (I stress this because the slower objects are moving the less you will notice a difference in the frame rate) it is easy to tell the difference between 30 and 60fps and even higher... but if you have your monitor running at 60Hz (as Windows 2000 and XP default to when applications change the resolution, unless you get a refresh rate fix) you will not be able to display more than 60fps.

I could go into a long discussion about frame rates and perception and all that jazz... but I'll just sum it up:

Instead of "frames" our eyes work in a continuous manner.
So, the higher the actual frame rate (not including frames that get dropped between refreshes because the frame rate is higher than the refresh rate) the more fluid the motion appears.

Some people have been scientifically tested and shown to be able to tell the difference even between 175 (or was it 180) and 200fps.

Don't underestimate what the eye is capable of perceiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back