Why Wear Gas Masks?

s1e9a8n5

Hunter
Reaction score
I noticed that in the original story for HL2 (beta), the air quality was going to contain murky gases, which would explain the need for gas masks. But with the current version, the air is fine. So why need gas masks? Is there something I've forgotten or are the gas masks just a precaution now?

They would have to model a ton of faces for enemies. I think the gas masks make them look nazi-ish.

A huge amount of humanity can be removed from someone with a full body suit and a mask that distorts their voice. Probably prepares them before they become Combine Soldiers.

It probably helps remove any kind of personal connection with citizens, too.

(Barnz is actually right, though.)

A huge amount of humanity can be removed from someone with a full body suit and a mask that distorts their voice. Probably prepares them before they become Combine Soldiers.

It probably helps remove any kind of personal connection with citizens, too.
That is true.

I should have thought it through some more before posting! lol. Although with my overactive mind, I may not have noticed the connection. But it makes sense.
(Barnz is actually right, though.)
Not necessarily. They can still wear masks... They just don't have to specifically be gas masks or have that large component in the front of them. But in any case, it's good for precautionary measures.

Remember the stencil graffiti? There are a lot of implants going on under that mask.

20pso7r.jpg

that's just showing beneath the skin. they have the equipment inside of their head.

Consumers, readers and practically anyone who picks up a story, be it comic, literature or video: will feel less threatened to a race that invades earth(or tries to implant their existence in our world by force) if they are humanised. You may argue the fact that Breen is there, but when you see his true nature, not in any propaganda loops but temporarily teleported into his office, Valve paired him against one of the slug combine.

Having the mask there conceals the combines weakness really.

I think those ideas above are correct, without one that only applies to the Overwatch type. CPs are not modified in any way, they are just volunteers for the duty.

My own personnal idea is that these masks are just a safety precaution - who knows what you'll come against on the next corner, citizens are still keen to revolt. It also plays a role in they're isolation from society though, coupled with the voice distortion.

I still don't get why they would have to model a lot of new faces for enemies? How do you think they managed the citizen and resistance models? They would just need to make half a dozen face models and let them randomly take CP, Overwatch or Elite bodies, thats how I would see it. I don't think the masks are for that purpose though.

You may argue the fact that Breen is there, but when you see his true nature
His true nature as in the most forward-thinking, reasonable, and intellectually elevated human on the planet?

Hrmm They also ARE trans-humans so maybe it's to help them breathe even in the seemingly clear air?

(first post dont hate :p)

A huge amount of humanity can be removed from someone with a full body suit and a mask that distorts their voice.
It's the same deal in films - bad guys tend to have dehumanizing characteristics so the audience doesn't sympathize with them.

The cops are pretty much encouraged to be bastards to the citizens. Anonymity helps this quite a bit.

It's the same deal in films - bad guys tend to have dehumanizing characteristics so the audience doesn't sympathize with them.

Exactly, the faceless henchmen and bad guys never get any sympathy. Of course, this is party due to the fact that they don't generally exhibit any humanity in their actions as well. They are always heartless, ruthless, methodical, (sometimes sadistic) killers. You'll never hear "Maybe we shouldn't kill the POWs." "Blimey! Murdering civilians just isn't cricket."

And apparently never trust a soldier in a gas mask. They're always sent to kill you, even if your tax dollars pay for their salaries.

Personally, it bugs the hell out of me. For once, I want the soldiers in gas masks to actually come to the rescue.

The gas masks are just for the sake of uniformity and preparedness. Theres a good chance that the Overwatch/CPs/Soldiers/Snowmen wearing the gasmasks are not only assinged to earth, but also to other planets, where the enviornment isnt as breathable as the one on earth. You can even hear a message in Nova Prospect about failuer resulting in permanent off-world reassignment.

I agree with Falconwind, Guys with gas masks scare the hell out of me!
In Half-Life 2, all I really wanted to do besides find out how the story ended and shoot the headcrab right off of the zombie's head so I could see his face, was to blast the crap out of a Combine soldier, I guess it's natural to dislike people in videogames with gas masks. I think throughout the Half-Life series it's been natural to beat the living crap out of a HECU squad with a crowbar! Opposing Force was fun, but I didn't like Adrian Shepard, because I'm pretty sure he wore a gas mask, it was on the box cover. I think he got what he deserved at the end, have fun falling through time, Adrian!:sniper::borg:

I agree with Falconwind, Guys with gas masks scare the hell out of me!
In Half-Life 2, all I really wanted to do besides find out how the story ended and shoot the headcrab right off of the zombie's head so I could see his face, was to blast the crap out of a Combine soldier, I guess it's natural to dislike people in videogames with gas masks. I think throughout the Half-Life series it's been natural to beat the living crap out of a HECU squad with a crowbar! Opposing Force was fun, but I didn't like Adrian Shepard, because I'm pretty sure he wore a gas mask, it was on the box cover. I think he got what he deserved at the end, have fun falling through time, Adrian!:sniper::borg:

I'm pretty sure you're developing some gas mask paranoia.

Anyways, gas masks are pretty much scary, depressing and in the same line cool for me. I don't really know why's that.

Why are they being dehumanized? Personally I'd love to have enemies you can be sympathetic towards, so not only would the game itself pose a challenge, it would also present a moral issue.

Sympathy towards mostly criminals, past corrupt cops and frauds - no way. It's true, not all of them are the like, but they are with the enemy, that's enough of an explanation for me. Sure, most of them might be ordinary civilians that chose to leave their life behind and start a better one, but they're in your way - they must be removed.

Every side has a struggle, and every side has limitations - no matter if this is the Combine or the Resistance movement. There is really no better way, it's all Combine propaganda to me.

On the contrary, I feel damn sorry for those folks because wearing a gas mask and possibly some level of chemical or biological weapons protection on a bright sunny day totally sucks.

I think the colour white for the masks was a great idea. It's such a plain colour, and black would of basically been a Darth Vader rip off.

On the contrary, I feel damn sorry for those folks because wearing a gas mask and possibly some level of chemical or biological weapons protection on a bright sunny day totally sucks.

Don't forget the Kevlar and the uniforms, too.

Haven't you also considered that something in those masks make them feel more and more cynical about other people? That the Combine slowly but surely lure their humanity away, and getting more money etcetera the more people you beat.

I always thought of that. Maybe because I read it somewhere. :)

Back