Wikileaks uncovers US classified report on Wikileaks

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Wikileaks, a Web site aims to boost government transparency and accountability by publishing sensitive documents, has released a classified military counterintelligence analysis report that discusses the "threat posed to the US Army" by Wikileaks itself.

The report outlines this perceived threat and contends that the military security could be put at risk if classified information is made available through Wikileaks, where it can be accessed by foreign intelligence agents and terrorists. The report also points out that foreign governments could leak falsified information to the Wikileaks site in an attempt to undermine the credibility of the United States.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...assified-intelligence-report-about-itself.ars

One of the primary topics addressed in the report is potential strategies for deterring moles within the US government from disclosing information to Wikileaks. The author of the report suggests that identifying leakers and terminating their employment or pursuing legal action against them could undermine the relationship of trust between Wikileaks and its informants, thus diminishing the risk of future leaks.

so what do you think?

1) counterintelligence using it's clout to force people into silence is ok because it may compromise national security? national security > government accountability

or

2) freedom of speech > national security

or

3) an outlet for government whistleblowers is important in establishing transparency in government. government accountability > national security

I would love to know which leaks they cosider to put our national security in danger. Has anything that ever actually threatened our security been posted on wikileaks? My guess is no. If it has then they have much bigger problems to deal with.

some of the things it's uncovered:

# Hack of Sarah Palin's Yahoo account

# Guantanamo Bay procedures

# Scientology

In January 2009, over 600 internal United Nations reports (60 of them marked "strictly confidential") were leaked.[66]

On 7 February 2009, Wikileaks released 6,780 Congressional Research Service reports

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikileaks#2009_leaks

But how much of that actually put us in danger? Seems like those leaks had to do with making them look like the idiots that they are instead of putting anybody in any danger.

If we start seeing nuclear secrets on wikileaks that I can see how information like that could be a threat, but if such information ends up on wikileaks then wikileaks isn't the problem.

I guess that was my point; not all that much that would seem like it's of national security level of importance. also wikileaks doesnt limit itself to the US. so it seems a little odd they'd be concerned with leaking US army documents

Shut it down and burn the servers. Then round up the organizers and send them to one of those CIA secret prisons.

Or, you know, KEEP YOUR TOP-SECRET DOCUMENTS TOP-SECRET YOU NUMBNUTS.

Edit: To further elaborate on my opinion, I believe that the security of a nation should be protected from self-righteous fools who think exposing state secrets to the enemy is a good idea.

Shut it down and burn the servers. Then round up the organizers and send them to one of those CIA secret prisons.

Or, you know, KEEP YOUR TOP-SECRET DOCUMENTS TOP-SECRET YOU NUMBNUTS.

I guess democracy doesnt mean all that much to you? "for the people, by the people". Americans have constitutionally protected right to freedom of information.

Edit: To further elaborate on my opinion, I believe that the security of a nation should be protected from self-righteous fools who think exposing state secrets to the enemy is a good idea.

goddam whistleblowing fools:

# Peter Buxtun, a former employee of the United States Public Health Service who exposed the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment.

# Joe Darby, a member of the United States military police who in 2004 first alerted the U.S. military command of prisoner abuse in the Abu Ghraib prison, in Abu Ghraib, Iraq.

# W. Mark Felt, (aka Deep Throat), an informant (secret until 2005) who in 1972 leaked information about United States President Richard Nixon's involvement in Watergate. The scandal would eventually lead to the resignation of the president, and prison terms for White House Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman and presidential adviser John Ehrlichman

# Sibel Edmonds, a former FBI translator naturalized American citizen of Turkish descent who was fired in 2002 by the FBI for attempting to report coverups of security issues, potential espionage, and incompetence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_whistleblowers

numbers you're like a fascist cartoon character

2) freedom of speech > national security

3) an outlet for government whistleblowers is important in establishing transparency in government. government accountability > national security

Both of these. People care too much about safety. He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.

Both of these. People care too much about safety. He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.

2q862du.jpg

I just think the balance of power in the 3 systems has been out of whack as of lately. the Presidential seat holds too much power and some injustices have been committed by all branches. I'd like to see a little bit more transparency, considering our lives are pretty ****ing transparent to the gov't. it should be 50/50 for both the US citizens and the US gov't. we'll be open if they are more open.

I just think the balance of power in the 3 systems has been out of whack as of lately. the Presidential seat holds too much power and some injustices have been committed by all branches. I'd like to see a little bit more transparency, considering our lives are pretty ****ing transparent to the gov't. it should be 50/50 for both the US citizens and the US gov't. we'll be open if they are more open.

Do we have a choice?

It's fairly obvious that when they only seem to issue reports that they're aiming at an international site based around exposing documents, the citizens they're protecting aren't a big concern to them.
The sad truth is that noone we elect ever seems to do anything at large about the overabundance of (forced) transparency on the citizens' side and lack of transparency on the governmental side. Mostly because it could possibly threaten their position.

I wonder if Wikileak has those recently declassified documents that reported the government more or less "creating" the underwear bomber.

Back