WIll HL2 Opening Day Match This?!

T

tennisboi

From the NYTIMES.com:

Microsoft Sees $100 Million First Day for 'Halo 2' Game
By REUTERS

Published: November 9, 2004

Filed at 5:23 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - First-day sales of Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O) new video game ``Halo 2'' will reach $100 million, a senior Microsoft games executive said on Tuesday.

``I'm calling a $100 million day on 'Halo' today,'' Peter Moore, a corporate vice president in Microsoft's games division, said at the Harris Nesbitt investment conference in New York.

The launch would be one of the largest in gaming history and would dwarf the first-day figures of even the biggest historical hits in the movie and music businesses.

``In the first 24 hours we'll have an opening that'spopular than any motion picture has ever had in history,'' Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates said at a shareholder's meeting on Tuesday.

The game, in which a super-soldier called ``Master Chief'' must save the earth from aliens, went on sale around the world on Tuesday, with thousands of stores opening their doors to eager customers just after midnight.

In addition to around 1.5 million pre-sold units, Moore said one retailer sold 8,500 units in the first 11 minutes of sales, while another sold 200,000 units by daybreak Tuesday.

Moore said in total, $78 million of the $100 million came from pre-sales. There are two versions of the game, the regular edition for $49.99 and a ``Collector's Edition'' in a custom case with a ``making-of'' DVD for $54.99.

Analysts expect ``Halo 2'' to sell a total of about 10 million units, with some projecting up to half of those sales coming in November. The original ``Halo'' sold 5 million units and remains the best seller on the Xbox to date.

``We think that this will be the biggest launch in the history of EB, perhaps the biggest launch in the history of video games,'' said Jeff Griffiths, chief executive of games retailer Electronics Boutique (ELBO.O), at the Harris Nesbitt conference.

lol, i dont think so dude, there needs to be some publicity tho for HL2, or it mite not, and online activsation mite put some ppl off....

rf

Number of HL2 pre-loads so far = ~2 million
Number of Halo 2 pre-orders = 1.5 million
Number of HL2 retail pre-orders = unknown

According to those numbers I would say that yes it is possible. Although it won't seem as big because of all the Steam sales over retail sales.

probably not :(
u gotta remember, the console gaming market is much larger than the PC gaming market so first day sales passing that mark? /me shrugs
maybe over time u may see HL2 take over.. but even then i dunno...the PC gaming market needs to be much bigger to compete with the consoles IMHO.

Maybe not but Halo 2 will go the way of all those movie blockbusters it is being compared to. It sells great the first week and after that noone cares about it until it hits the bargain bin. Half-life 2 products, just like half-life will still be purchased five years from now because the game has a huge mod scence and thus longevity.

Dr. Freeman said:
probably not :(
u gotta remember, the console gaming market is much larger than the PC gaming market so first day sales passing that mark? /me shrugs
maybe over time u may see HL2 take over.. but even then i dunno...the PC gaming market needs to be much bigger to compete with the consoles IMHO.

exactly. people aren't seeming to understand that it is not an even playing field. halo 2 has a bigger market, with the biggest computer giant backing it.

The Mullinator said:
Number of HL2 pre-loads so far = ~2 million
Number of Halo 2 pre-orders = 1.5 million
Number of HL2 retail pre-orders = unknown

According to those numbers I would say that yes it is possible. Although it won't seem as big because of all the Steam sales over retail sales.
Where are those figures from ??

Rocketman9mm said:
exactly. people aren't seeming to understand that it is not an even playing field. halo 2 has a bigger market, with the biggest computer giant backing it.

yeah.
if the playing field was even, then i think HL2 has a chance but it really isn't and thats the bitter truth.
not to mention all the un-informed pple about HL2 vs what they are informed of Halo2.. the odds are sadly stacked against HL2 :(

Kel Thuzad said:
Where are those figures from ??
seriously. 2 million hl2 preloads? from an online content delivery system? i don't believe it.

why is that so hard to believe ? i think its true if not 2million its damn close to it.

Llevar said:
Maybe not but Halo 2 will go the way of all those movie blockbusters it is being compared to. It sells great the first week and after that noone cares about it until it hits the bargain bin. Half-life 2 products, just like half-life will still be purchased five years from now because the game has a huge mod scence and thus longevity.

Oh please, the original Halo never left the top 10 list for Xbox sellers, and it took TWO YEARS for it to go down from the $49.99 pricepoint.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Personally, i dont know anybody who owns an xbox. Most of my friends own a ps2 or gamecube, plus their PC's. I think HL2 will kill Halo in sales.

lets see, 2 million presells * $50 a game = $100 million. It could do it then I suppose.

Why does everyone think HL2 and Halo2 are mutally exclusive?

I hate when people compare gross video game profits to gross movie profits. Considering a game costs amost five times as much as a movie ticket, of course they're going to make more.
Also, what's the point in having a collector's edition that costs $5 more than the regular edition? Why not just sell the collector's?
And this is a Half-Life 2 forum. Post it in Off Topic or something. Christ.

BlackMesaDude said:
why is that so hard to believe ? i think its true if not 2million its damn close to it.
i just realized my mistake. since it's free, a pre-load doesn't guarantee a steam sale. the statistic is much more believeable when you keep that in mind.

and just so you know, two million pre-orders is incredible. very few console games ever manage that, let alone pc games. if two million people actually wind up buying the game over steam, i'll be amazed.

I somehow really doubt HL2 has been preloaded 2 million times. Even the survey stats only have 900,000 unique results.

epmode said:
yeah, see my post right above yours.
Awww... ;(

epmode said:
i just realized my mistake. since it's free, a pre-load doesn't guarantee a steam sale. the statistic is much more believeable when you keep that in mind.

and just so you know, two million pre-orders is incredible. very few console games ever manage that, let alone pc games. if two million people actually wind up buying the game over steam, i'll be amazed.
Well technically its not a pre-order but then again you can't really dismiss it either since anyone who decides to pre-load the game is someone who you know is going to purchase it. Sure they can pre-load and then delete it later but then again you can also cancel a pre-order.

Its really hard to say considering nothing like this method of distribution has been done before.

There's also all the cyber-cafe's who may only buy one multi-user license, but pre-load it 50 times. I think the article means nearly 2 million computers have pre-loaded it, but 2 million people haven't paid for a bronze, silver, or gold copy of the game.

YamatoTwinkie said:
Oh please, the original Halo never left the top 10 list for Xbox sellers, and it took TWO YEARS for it to go down from the $49.99 pricepoint.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Well, we ain't talking about the original Halo are we now. Think Matrix and then the shit that came after it or original Star Wars and the prequels. Everyone still went to see them but the'll never be a cult and to be honest with you I doubt that Halo 2 will be a cult either. Halo was original because it brought the first half-decent FPS game to the consoles. Halo 2 has nothing like that save maybe for the multiplayer which I doubt will have as much impact as original Halo did (and that mostly because it was a launch title and a first really decent fps for console). When the game came to PC it became painfully obvious how mediocre the game is in the grand scheme of things. It could never stand up to the crop of outstanding PC FPS games like UT, Half-life and Quake. Just the level design alone was on par with games of the original doom era. People snagged it because there was nothing better.

To say that halo was the first decent fps on a console, well that goes to far, halo is shit compared to goldeneye(N64), and certainly perfect dark(N64).

Steelwind said:
There's also all the cyber-cafe's who may only buy one multi-user license, but pre-load it 50 times. I think the article means nearly 2 million computers have pre-loaded it, but 2 million people haven't paid for a bronze, silver, or gold copy of the game.
I was never implying those figures translater into preorders, I was meerly providing the source. Regardless (multi-users aside), I think those numbers would be a good representation of people who will buy HL2 when it comes out. I wouldn't think that many people would preload 4 gigs of data without ever planning to use it.

Having said that, who knows where they got their numbers from? Maybe they're counting every time a new preload comes out, in which case I personally count for 7 of those 2 million, as do most of us.

yeah goldeneye was great, but really, thats dead and buried. halo is definatly the best fps on console, but compared to pc games its really quite average. its amazing how clueless console gamers are.. they think the games are so good but they are really... not.

kevinb4567 said:
halo is definatly the best fps on console, but compared to pc games its really quite average. its amazing how clueless console gamers are.. they think the games are so good but they are really... not.

That is the most ridiculous statement I've heard. Some of you people act like consoles are made by Fisher Price. Give me a f'kn break.

Steelwind said:
It's more like the other way around. They only have to download it once but they have to pay a monthly fee (depending on how many computers they want to license) and they get a product key for each computer.

IonizeMyAtoms said:
That doesn't mean 2 million people pre-ordered it.
It's pre-loaded whether you pre-ordered it or not. Unless you cancel it.
It just means 2 million people have Steam.

So your saying that these people have pre-loaded HL2 on their comps but arent going to purchase it at all ? or just not through steam ?

IonizeMyAtoms said:
That doesn't mean 2 million people pre-ordered it.
It's pre-loaded whether you pre-ordered it or not. Unless you cancel it.
It just means 2 million people have Steam.

No, it means 2 million people told steam to preload, with the [intent] of purchasing I'd presume.

Steelwind said:
That is the most ridiculous statement I've heard. Some of you people act like consoles are made by Fisher Price. Give me a f'kn break.

Well, it's basically true. My console gamer friends are clueless.

JimmehH said:
It's more like the other way around. They only have to download it once but they have to pay a monthly fee (depending on how many computers they want to license) and they get a product key for each computer.

But they have to download the files to each computer. 50 computers can't run off one set of Steam files. The client needs it's own game files in order to execute.

KurtCobain said:
So your saying that these people have pre-loaded HL2 on their comps but arent going to purchase it at all ? or just not through steam ?

well.. lets put it this say, if ur not going to purchase the game why pre-load it?
for some pple the pre-load means playing it off Steam as soon as its made availble, for others it means going to the local store and purchasing a retail copy.

if i wasn't interested in purchasing the game.. i would not bother with a pre-load.

Steelwind said:
Maybe you're the one that's clueless?

Sounds to me like you're one of those 'console' gamers.

Carry on, go play halo.

ascii said:
Why does everyone think HL2 and Halo2 are mutally exclusive?
they both start with a H and end in a 2, what more do u need?

Llevar said:
Well, we ain't talking about the original Halo are we now. Think Matrix and then the shit that came after it or original Star Wars and the prequels. Everyone still went to see them but the'll never be a cult and to be honest with you I doubt that Halo 2 will be a cult either. Halo was original because it brought the first half-decent FPS game to the consoles. Halo 2 has nothing like that save maybe for the multiplayer which I doubt will have as much impact as original Halo did (and that mostly because it was a launch title and a first really decent fps for console). When the game came to PC it became painfully obvious how mediocre the game is in the grand scheme of things. It could never stand up to the crop of outstanding PC FPS games like UT, Half-life and Quake. Just the level design alone was on par with games of the original doom era. People snagged it because there was nothing better.

Yes, and the Matrix sequels and Starwars prequels were both torn apart by the movie critics. Halo 2 is getting BETTER ratings than the original (according to gamerankings.com).

Halo 1 was head and shoulders above any other FPS when it came out in 2001, console or otherwise. Halo's two-weapon system, grenades, and recharging shield were all great concepts, and its general art design, AI, physics, co-op support, plot, main character, and vehicle integration were all superb(I bet you can't a better designed vehicle than the Halo 1 warthog in ANY of todays FPS's)
Yes, some of the levels were repetitious, but that didn't take away too much from the overall quality of the game.

oh come on the ai in halo wasn't that gr8 felt like the same ai as in halflife and the gfx well they weren't gr8 either yeah gr8 for a console but still! i bought a xbox 1 day before it came out only for halo and it was no way worth spending 400 quid on it just to play that completed it once never did it again why cos it's one of those games that piss u off so u turn it off then go back to it in a few days time then get pissed of with it again etc etc etc just finished halo 2 and well everyone i know who has completed it said it wasn't as good as they thought it could be and i totaly agree i've even more cert that hl2 will be a far better game! just giveing my 2 handed weapons and cutting the story short at the end when it just kinnda gets good is not good enough only took me like a few hours playing it then it just stoped at the end which is not how a game should be made! there is not one level on halo 2 which i would wanna play again! not one!!!!

Steelwind said:
But they have to download the files to each computer. 50 computers can't run off one set of Steam files. The client needs it's own game files in order to execute.

One computer downloads the files from the net. Then they are sent through the LAN to all the other computers. Only one copy is downloaded from steam.

Back