Windows 7 public beta out

Using it now, and I'm unsure of what drivers to use for my notebook's videocard 9800GTS. However, even without 3D effects/Aero, it's lightning fast! Honestly, I love it already and have only noticed a few improvements which I deem it to alter changing my experience tenfold.

Yeah -window -noborder will do that. Who cares if it's running on 7 of course it'd run on 7.

"Look at me I'm running 3 low res videos at once." Colour me unimpressed.

Bu bu bu but Crysis is running too! :p

Yeah and? What I'm saying is those 3 videos are having close to no effect on the machines performance. Run Crysis twice on two monitors and maybe I'll care.

Running it, loving it, its Vista in Tux and a fake ID (Win7); but who cares.

Gonna try my games now. Since forceware 179.63 for Vista 64 works on this, I must now find driver for sound.
Love the recovery system too, no more c://Windows: FixMBR, MS memory diagnostic is also included in the beta, and other stuff. I'll check em letter.

BRB.

[edit] After googling (By the way Google Bar Works) I came to find a way to force-install SB X-fi driver (By Right-click software icon, then "Troubleshoot Compatibility" and following instructions,) its installed and I got sound now.
Also Windows Memory Diagnostic just informed me that I have "Memory problem," even though I wasn't even aware of, and never had BSOD; I think my Crucials are shot and I'll have to give em a call tomorrow for RMA.

Overall, I'm delighted (75-80%) with this beta, the only turnoff is the gigantic, overs-sized, goofy looking task-bar.

Want quicklaunch. Taskbar isn't that great. And greatly want classic start menu and overall themes too.

When is the release date? Rumors are welcomed.

Googling, I've found that depending how the Beta turns out it might ship before the 2009 back-to-school/holiday sales season. The one article also went on to say that Vista missed the 2006 sales period and ended up releasing in early 2007 which means less consumers purchased a brand new computer with Vista on it. So seeing as how they want to get Seven on the right track with consumers, I can definitely see them getting their shit together and making this their most polished OS by the BTS season.

I really like the taskbar though it's something that a lot of people will have to get used to. I'm just glad that I can finally move open programs around on the taskbar. Very useful when I have about 10 windows open. :p

It'll take me a while...though they should still give the option for old school.

I really like the taskbar though it's something that a lot of people will have to get used to. I'm just glad that I can finally move open programs around on the taskbar. Very useful when I have about 10 windows open. :p

Honestly, it was very intuitive to me. I also love the fact that it does automatically group like programs together, and now, that Aero preview has 100% more functionality and use in Seven. It's brilliant, and I'm excited for the final and complete version of Seven.

It'll take me a while...though they should still give the option for old school.

There comes a point where maintaining "Classic" just becomes too tedious.

Yes, it will take a bit of work to adjust, but it's well worth it :D

Googling, I've found that depending how the Beta turns out it might ship before the 2009 back-to-school/holiday sales season. The one article also went on to say that Vista missed the 2006 sales period and ended up releasing in early 2007 which means less consumers purchased a brand new computer with Vista on it. So seeing as how they want to get Seven on the right track with consumers, I can definitely see them getting their shit together and making this their most polished OS by the BTS season.

10-4 Copy that Shamrock.

I really love this (Win7) thang, it gives me the same good vibe XP gave me a lot when we first got it. I'm very tired of (XP too) looking at XP for last many years and Vista gave me the reptile-dysfunction, so heck yeah I'm looking forward to this.
Also you can adjust taskbar size by right-clicking Taskbar, Property and choosing something similar to "Show small taskbar or taskbar icons" and Taskbar will shrink to XP's Taskbar size.

My W7 beta is crashing like hell, I think is because the drivers that I force-installed. I'll have to rollback from them.
Other than that; I Love It... I Love It... I Love It... I Love It... :D

Overall, I'm delighted (75-80%) with this beta, the only turnoff is the gigantic, overs-sized, goofy looking task-bar.

Right click > Properties > Use Small Icons. Returns it to the same size as Vista.

There comes a point where maintaining "Classic" just becomes too tedious.

Yes, it will take a bit of work to adjust, but it's well worth it :D

One assumes a certain level of usability testing went into the new UI, so get used to it bitches.

copy+paste from vista = too tedious? Right.
One assumes a certain level of usability testing went into the new UI, so get used to it bitches.
Eat dog turd. Their sample size was probably 2 people.

There is a classic theme and many options to make the taskbar behave and look like it used to. Stop being an idiot Mr. I can't accept change even though its for the better.

There is a classic theme and many options to make the taskbar behave and look like it used to.
Care to point them out or just gonna talk about them.
Don't see what ya'llz problem is, if I wanted a dock, I would've gotten a dock.

I'd like to just talk about them because if you were actually using 7 it shouldn't take a genius to figure out how to get it.

About the only one thing I missed was the quick launch toolbar, but 30 seconds after using 7 I got the hang of it and technically there still is a quick launch.

riiight, so you dont know. Because there is no classic theme or functionality included.
W/e I am starting to get used to it. Didn't say I wouldn't, just my preference to go classic :rolleyes:

Right click the desktop and click personalize. Scroll to the bottom and click the Windows Classic theme You complete moron. Then right click the taskbar, properties and change ALL the options to suit you "old school" style.

stupidclassic.jpg

Honestly if you couldn't figure that out then I wouldn't doubt you have someone wipe you after you're done taking a s***t.

Let me also add that by doing this you're effectively degrading the much more efficently done Winows 7 taskbar/start menu style and you might as well just format and install Windows 95 if you want to stay with the retadred oldness because you're "old school". Seriously, that doesn't get anyone anywhere now a days. So quit you're whining, GET USED to the new taskbar/UI, and learn to grow up. You're not "hardcore" for liking the old style so STOP.

Right click the desktop and click personalize. Scroll to the bottom and click the Windows Classic theme You complete moron. Then right click the taskbar, properties and change ALL the options to suit you "old school" style.

Honestly if you couldn't figure that out then I wouldn't doubt you have someone wipe you after you're done taking a s***t.

Let me also add that by doing this you're effectively degrading the much more efficently done Winows 7 taskbar/start menu style and you might as well just format and install Windows 95 if you want to stay with the retadred oldness because you're "old school". Seriously, that doesn't get anyone anywhere now a days. So quite you're whining, GET USED to the new taskbar/UI and learn to grow up. You're not "hardcore" for liking the old style so STOP.
Dude, chill the f*** out. The only thing I didn't recognize was the theme area (kinda ignored the large windows and crap, used to the list view of previous versions, go figure). I'll use whatever theme I please. Rofl "retarded oldness." you need some anger management. Already looked at taskbar properties, that crap doesn't bring it back to what it used to be, just some mutant hybrid of the two with a longer rectangle.

technically there still is a quick launch.

Where? Where damn you? ... Where?

Let me also add that by doing this you're effectively degrading the much more efficently [Fixed] "efficiently" done Winows [Fixed]"Windows" 7 taskbar/start menu style and you might as well just format and install Windows 95 if you want to stay with the retadred "[Fixed] Retarded" oldness because you're "old school". Seriously, that doesn't get anyone anywhere now a days. So quit you're whining, GET USED to the new taskbar/UI, and learn to grow up. You're not "hardcore" for liking the old style so STOP.
Totally uncalled for... but you're right.

Right click > Properties > Use Small Icons. Returns it to the same size as Vista.

Thanks but I already figure that out myself. :p

Pinned items on the taskbar is the equivalent of quick launch.

Does window 7 work natively with 64bit systems?

Because 64bit was an afterthought with XP and Vista, I thought I would ask the question

Because 64bit was an afterthought with XP and Vista, I thought I would ask the question
What makes you say that about Vista64? I'm running it and I've never had a problem.
And since (to my understanding) under the hood Win7 is bascially an optimised Vista would that answer you question?

there is a seperate 64 bit download for win7. it's 500mb larger.

looks like it might be time to upgrade from XP...!

Does window 7 work natively with 64bit systems?

64bit was an afterthought for 2K/XP not Vista. For XP systems running 64bit there is no SP3. Vista was designed with x86/x64 in mind. Just the same drivers are always going to be an issue until sufficient people are using 64bit systems. I'm running x68 windows 7 on my test rig for that reason.

Pinned items on the taskbar is the equivalent of quick launch.

I know right it's not bloody rocket science. Although the one of the things I sent feedback for was the option have have names included for items that aren't pinned while leaving pinned items nameless, instead of all on/all off which kinda sucks.

Isn't that what the taskbar option for "never combine" essentially does.

Isn't that what the taskbar option for "never combine" essentially does.

No it doesn't. Try it yourself. A pinned application if open will show it's label. Combing just groups applications together i.e. several IE windows as one button. I want to always hide the label for pinned applications whilst showing the label for non pinned apps. The ability to group/not group either pinned/non pinned items would be nice too.

Back