Windows 8

You guys are all like "oh hool stop messing around with crappy Vista and go with 7". Well no thanks because Vista runs great and I had a feeling this was going to happen. Maybe 5 years from now when we are on Windows 12.

Judging from what I've seen so far it's mostly improved social networking support(pretty much everything from the new interface they showed).
Since I'm not really into stuff like Facebook and Twitter i don't think it will be a worthy upgrade(in its current state) from Windows 7. Not that that's a bad thing - Windows 7 is serving me very well.

Have they started over and built it from the ground up yet?

Also, this looks like a phone interface. Doesn't look they they were even considering mouses when they made it.

Edit: Ok I wasn't finished watching it. It just went back to a normal looking version of Windows.

Windows 7 is an awesome operating system. I'm not going to be switching from it until something proves to be better... way better.

EDIT: I only had time to glance at the interface but what the ****...

DON'T ****ING EVER give me something more "user friendly" than a god damn desktop with start button and panel as an interface! I won't ****ing use an operating system that caters to the non computer savvy of the world. From what I glanced of that video it's gimmicky as shit.

DON'T ****ING EVER give me something more "user friendly" than a god damn desktop with start button and panel as an interface! I won't ****ing use an operating system that caters to the non computer savvy of the world. From what I glanced of that video it's gimmicky as shit.
Well ideally it'll cater to both ends of the spectrum with the user friendly shit that you can just turn off if you want. Your complaint is a bit ridiculous. Most people aren't computer savvy as you are Raz and if think Microsoft are going to focus their advertising campaign on you instead of the majority of their customers you're mental. Just because they're helping one end (and a lot of people need help with how they use their PCs because they frankly don't have a clue) doesn't mean they've abandoned the other. I had a little crazy reaction in the above post but I thought at first that what they were showing was going to be the only user interface but partway through the video he shows the normal interface with a start button and taskbar.

Looks like I won't be upgrading for a long time.

Um, clearly the majority of the video was showing how their OS will work on tablets and the like. While these feature look like it will be available to anything running the OS, conventional desktops/laptops included, they obviously are going to be secondary and entirely optional. In stead of going all CAPSLOCK RAGE over it raz, you should at least watch the entire video first. Specifically what happens at the 3 minute mark.

That said, this looks completely useless. Like, its not even going to be better for the computer illiterate. It maybe will entice some stupid touch screen fetishists, but ultimately the new interface is just is cross between Media Center and a handful of common file operations available in the normal interface. It looks like it has to switch over to the normal interface for most applications anyways, so its not like thats going to help people who are confused by it already.

While we haven't seen (or I haven't seen at least) what changes there are under the hood, I don't see what constitutes a new OS. Right now it looks like plain Windows 7 with a new "start" screen. Will they be rolling out DX12?

Didn't see anything impressive or really technological. UI seemed to be the only focus and for that alone, it's not for me.

You guys are all like "oh hool stop messing around with crappy Vista and go with 7". Well no thanks because Vista runs great and I had a feeling this was going to happen. Maybe 5 years from now when we are on Windows 12.
Vista worked fine for me too, but then you use Windows 7 and realise the gap between the two. All those guys who told you were right...I would suggest you take your head out the sand! This video is clearly an attempt at demonstrating the use of an OS which would work across PC / Laptop & Tablet (and perhaps phone) but doesn't add anywhere near enough to excite anyone for a whole new OS. Watch this get canned in 4 months.

But honestly Glenn what is so much different? Honestly what would make me go "oh I gotta have that $200+ OS and remove the other $200+ OS I bought 2 years ago"?

But honestly Glenn what is so much different? Honestly what would make me go "oh I gotta have that $200+ OS and remove the other $200+ OS I bought 2 years ago"?

All the better parts is what would make you say that. They are numerous and i'm too lazy to write them all down when you can just google it. Also its only $80 for the upgrade from vista.

Wait, there are people who have experienced Vista working fine? Dayum. You guys are the 1st I've known.

I had to reformat the hard drives on one of my laptops after Vista decided to destroy itself whilst trying to update. It is literally the worst OS I have ever used. How quickly Microsoft brought 7 out afterwards and started replacing it indicated to me that even they knew it was a pile of shit.

I never had any problems with Vista, hell I haven't had any problems with Windows since XP was released. Usually I've found out that the people who say Windows doesn't work don't really understand anything about software. They either make these god damn voodoo assertions on how something works or why it happened, although it's a deterministic device... Or they cannot get to their fat heads that hardware malfunction isn't a problem in software. That's like blaming the car manufacturer of failure when a drunk driver drives over you "well obviously the car is broken derpa derpa"

On regular use I think I wouldn't use those tiles, but might be fun addition to HTPC.

Wait, there are people who have experienced Vista working fine? Dayum. You guys are the 1st I've known.

I had to reformat the hard drives on one of my laptops after Vista decided to destroy itself whilst trying to update. It is literally the worst OS I have ever used. How quickly Microsoft brought 7 out afterwards and started replacing it indicated to me that even they knew it was a pile of shit.
Vista was a POS before Service Pack 1 and when hardware vendors woke up and wrote proper drivers. So far I see very few new gimicks with 7 that can be added in with Vista and 30sec less waiting for start-up.

I could see the appeal of windows 8 in terms of interface if I was using a tablet pc, but I can't see me getting this to replace my Desktop OS (Win 7 64).

I hate what tablets have done to the industry's focus. THANKS A LOT APPLE.

I hate what tablets have done to the industry's focus. THANKS A LOT APPLE.

To be honest since I have been using an Apple computer to edit some videos, I have found Apple is superior when it comes to anything but playing games. I was playing with the iPad 2 yesterday and the thing had Final Cut Express on it and many other things you can find on a laptop. It costs the same as a low end laptop as well. I may get one in the future in fact.

To be honest since I have been using an Apple computer to edit some videos, I have found Apple is superior when it comes to anything but playing games. I was playing with the iPad 2 yesterday and the thing had Final Cut Express on it and many other things you can find on a laptop. It costs the same as a low end laptop as well. I may get one in the future in fact.

Macs make great workstations (been using them for years), but I would never recommend buying one for home use because they are so hardware limited.

For anyone interested, what's shown in that video borrows very heavily from Windows Phone 7 - it's more or less the same design as Windows Phone 7, but formatted for a laptop or tablet.

Being a Windows 7 phone user, I can say I'd gladly use that interface on a tablet or maybe even a laptop (yes, with a touchpad and keyboard) for casual computing. Of course I'd still need the traditional desktop for work and gaming, but it looks like that's covered.

Doesn't change my hatred of everyone paying all this attention to touch-screen tablet interfaces.

Windows 7. The greatest OS since XP..and i still prefer it over OSX..
ill try W8 though, although it just seems like a tablet friendly version

I think touch screen tablets have the potential of being quite amazing but they're too limited in capability and functionality with the current OS's in the market for me to consider them useable.
I'm really hoping that Windows 8 will change all that and bring a functioning operating system to tablets that is capable of light production work. I think W8 will be probably be the next big step in tablets where people will start to take them seriously.
As far as being a worthy upgrade to Windows 7; it will probably not bring enough to the table that's new to merit an upgrade for most users but it will replace it as the standard Windows version to be sold with PCs.

Hopefully Microsoft will create a software suite that is able to compete with Apple for W8. Right now the only thing that Apple has going for it software wise are the things that come with iLife like Garage Band, iMovie, and the office programs. Windows is by far the superior OS and if it had programs able to match that out of the box it would create such a huge value and buying incentive when choosing between Mac and Windows.

Back