Wireless electricity...this is incredible!

Tesla had this 10 decades ago right??

EDIT: haha just saw the 1st 30 seconds of video

EDIT 2: AWESOME!

EDIT 3: where can i get this?? Also the bigger the resonance the bigger the field right??

Makes me wonder what the world would be like now if JP Morgan hadn't dropped Tesla's funding.

Makes me wonder what the world would be like now if JP Morgan hadn't dropped Tesla's funding.

it still seems like technology is trickling by slower than it should be. i hate the fact that cars are existence that can get like 300 miles to the gallon and here we are guzzling up fuel like theres no tomorrow

it still seems like technology is trickling by slower than it should be. i hate the fact that cars are existence that can get like 300 miles to the gallon and here we are guzzling up fuel like theres no tomorrow

I feel completely the same way. Like Honda has just released that fully functional, better than a Prius car that runs on hydrogen which pretty much costs as much as petrol does now.

The problem is society. Think of the job losses if we were to switch to hydrogen. Think of how many people cant afford a new car so wont buy the hydrogen powered ones when they get released. Or any fuel efficiency car for that matter.

Its all well and good creating one, but for ***k sake we need to get money out of the equation some how as the vast majority of people wont buy one as they cant afford it.

So until the government steps in and creates some kind of legislation that has incentives, these new hybrid cars will gather dust in their showrooms.

We need ALL cars changed, not just celebrities and richer people. And that just isnt going to happen. Its futile.

It is going to happen. The technology just needs to get better and cheaper. The problem with hybrids is the batteries. Batteries wear out. You'll need to have them replaced every 3 years or so. That is going to set you back thousands of dollars, which inerts the money you saved per mile (actually making it worse). Hybrids will be common when battery technology improves. Second problem would be a power grid that could handle all the cars that charge overnight. It's not complicated math to show you how enormously more power it takes than there's available right now.

The problem with hydrogen cars is that you need a lot of space to store the fuel. Yes hydrogen has 3 times more energy per weight than gasoline, but gasoline has an energy density that is 3 times higher per volume. That is in a liquefied state, which itself can also be quite dangerous in a car crash. Hydrogen fuel cells work well, but only for big cars with lots of space to store fuel. IIRC, there's already some places where it's used for public transport (buses).

I have my doubts about this wireless power technology. He didn't talk about efficiency. Also you have to aim the beamer thing, which for a TV or something would need to be quite large for a reasonable distance. I could see use in this as a charger for small devices, but I don't see how this could be used much since you have to aim it.

Hydrogen is not going to be the alternative fuel source we need. The amount of energy we need to create it isn't going to work in the long run. Getting the entire country set up with the infrastructure for something so inefficient is not what we need. I have a feeling we'll figure something better soon. I wouldn't count electricity out due to batteries quite yet :)

sorry pal, walking quickly trough the field is not gonna cut it for me. i want prolonged exposure tests to people and animals.

Uhh.. magnetic fields? Do you know how they work and how they can/can't affect you? It basically does nothing. At all.

jverne just want animals to suffer needlessly. I'm gonna report him to PETA.

sorry pal, walking quickly trough the field is not gonna cut it for me. i want prolonged exposure tests to people and animals.

He didn't walk through the field to show how safe it was, he walked through it to demonstrate how the field isn't disturbed by organic material. Its magnetic fields, we've been living in one for millennia.

Anyhows, fascinating stuff. I'd love to see it come into effect, though I doubt it will be any time soon as its one of those things that requires large scale electronic manufacturers to agree to work together upon, and that is never an easy thing.

I saw the title and went, "Wow, I saw this years ago on Popular Science magazine... huh..."

@Jverne your body would have to have the same resonant frequency to be effected by it and thats near impossibly unless you're made of the same material. This seems like it only serves aesthetic applications , i can't see this being used for efficient long range power distribution .

they'd have to do some quantum mechanicizing on the electromagnetons to do that!

Uhh.. magnetic fields? Do you know how they work and how they can/can't affect you? It basically does nothing. At all.

He didn't walk through the field to show how safe it was, he walked through it to demonstrate how the field isn't disturbed by organic material. Its magnetic fields, we've been living in one for millennia.

Anyhows, fascinating stuff. I'd love to see it come into effect, though I doubt it will be any time soon as its one of those things that requires large scale electronic manufacturers to agree to work together upon, and that is never an easy thing.

@Jverne your body would have to have the same resonant frequency to be effected by it and thats near impossibly unless you're made of the same material. This seems like it only serves aesthetic applications , i can't see this being used for efficient long range power distribution .

unless you have some ferromagnetic material in your body...like iron.
things with an appropriate mass might start to resonate at the same frequency.
let's not even start on how birds use magnetic fields to navigate.

all i'm saying, check it out before throwing it out on the market.

Bah, I was hoping for real Tesla Coils à la Red Alert. :(

I agree with jverne.

Although we understand the basic principles of magnetism, we still do not fully understand the implications or side effects of long-term exposure. Anybody who knows anything about astronomy knows that larger planets with a powerful magnetosphere gives off harmful radiation inhospitable to life to nearby moons once thought to be prospects for colonization. The surface on one of Jupiter's moon's, Europa for example. Understanding the dynamo effect of these magnetospheres would give us a huge understanding of how magnetism really works.

...but we're not exposed to extreme levels of it. Extreme planetary exposure to magnetism would not be experienced unless you were in the troposphere miles high in the sky and devices that require lots of power would probably need a stronger field.

Everything needs to be tested before a device like this can become marketable.

I agree with jverne.

Although we understand the basic principles of magnetism, we still do not fully understand the implications or side effects of long-term exposure. Anybody who knows anything about astronomy knows that larger planets with a powerful magnetosphere gives off harmful radiation inhospitable to life to nearby moons once thought to be prospects for colonization. Understanding the dynamo effect of these magnetospheres would give us a huge understanding of how magnetism really works.

...but we're not exposed to it. Planetary exposure to magnetism would not be experienced unless you were in the troposphere miles high in the sky.

well thank you for agreeing with me.

but if i'm not mistaken, planets with large magnetosphere don't generally give off radiation but they capture it or deflect radiation from sun particles. but my astronomy is a bit rusty so...

i wanted to say that just because we evolved in a magnetic field doesn't mean we're impervious to it. it's been shown large magnetic fields can levitate organic matter.
obviously at a microscopic level basic forces have some effect, claiming it does nothing based on almost no research is really narrow minded.

well thank you for agreeing with me.

but if i'm not mistaken, planets with large magnetosphere don't generally give off radiation but they capture it or deflect radiation from sun particles. but my astronomy is a bit rusty so...

i wanted to say that just because we evolved in a magnetic field doesn't mean we're impervious to it. it's been shown large magnetic fields can levitate organic matter.
obviously at a microscopic level basic forces have some effect, claiming it does nothing based on almost no research is really narrow minded.
Well, I suppose your right but still, there are too many other factors that need investigating such as other interferences and sources that can cause problems with a wireless power source based on magnetism.

I'd never buy any brand new tech like this until I make sure cancer inducing rays either caused directly or indirectly by a magnet field is debunked. Not that it matters really if I use any form of tobacco, exposure to to the sun's UV light, any other cancer inducing agent in my daily life, but it would be one less nonetheless.

90 year old tech finally comes into public use.

I think Tesla would be insulted to be honest, he documented wireless transmition of electricity using the earth, at a range of 30 km's with a high frequency transmitter and ground reciever with a bulb attached.

It uses electrical resonance so the field generated is very high frequencey and about as harmful as being bathed in radio waves, which happens everyday. Unless you decided to install a reciever in your body, because it's the recieving end that turns that high frequencey transmition into something that can be utilised to power a circuit.

I had this idea years ago, just because i lack the technical expertise and ambition doesn't mean someone else should get the credit.

The first time any of you use wireless electricity, you better think of me naked in a pile of obsolete wires.

Did you have the idea years before Tesla did? WELL? DID YOU?!

Back