Work you lost due to reason XY

jverne

Reaction score
What was some of your creations, you lost due to various reasons.

I remember once like sometime in late 2004 when i used to do maps in hammer. I made such a ****ing scary map i shat my pants each time testing it. It was really tense it was about a graveyard but the graveyard was the least scary part. ;) I've got some cheap scary music off some site, which added perfectly to the mood.
God, i have to remake it someday. Btw....it was meant as a map that could get me onto the Master sword mod project. What's the word when you have to show what you got in order to get accepted/hired???

What have you lost?

Last summer I lost all of my Reason files from a HDD dying, essentially wiping out all of the music I've made over the past three to four years. Luckily, a friend had all of the .mp3s that I had from them. But still, he didn't have everything and I can no longer go back and change shit up in them. I learned my lesson and back-up important files weekly.

I almost routinely burn most of the things I create, if they don't get destroyed some other way. My artwork is usually something that has a short lifetime. Occasionally things survive, hidden away, and when I find them, I keep them and feel sad that I've done so much to destroy my personal history, when I know it's futile. But of course ultimately it'll all be gone, so I try not to get too nostalgic.

BAHHH

COUNTLESS Hammer maps. I don't even know what happened to the majority of them... Some of them I wish I still had.

Some cryengine2 stuff which was pretty awesome...

None of it actually worth anything, so I don't dwell on it too much.

But now that you mention losing a lot of Reason stuff Qonfused, I'd DIE if I lost off of my Sonar projects. I shall back all of them up tomorrow. TOO much awesome stuff in there to ever let disappear. I don't know what I'd do if I even just lost this one Drum and Bass/Electronica project I'm currently working on.

Used to do a bunch of animations in Flash but they all vanished and I kind of lost the motivation. I keep wanting to get back into that except I can't draw. >_>

There's a lot of my art that's ended up in a landfill somewhere, just from moving around, papers getting lost, stuff I'd thrown out. I don't really care much what happened to most of those works, but the ones that always get me are a bunch of drawings I did that were callously shredded by a family member, and an art project I did for a class that for the life of me I have no idea where it went. I REALLY miss that one, 'cause it was pimp: it was a scuba diver fighting a shark. It was up on display in the art class for awhile and end of semester came and...I have no bloody idea what happened to it. Like, I know I was supposed to pick it up but...I think I got to class and it was just gone, 'cause I know I didn't end up taking it with me on the last day. So maybe somewhere hanging up in somebody's room is a picture of a dude wrestling a fucking shark and the shark's all twisted and lashing out at him, and the diver's air tank is ruptured and his speargun's drifting off.

I deleted a bunch of work off my drive because I hated how much it sucked.

Other than that, I've only lost a few hours of work at most, due to computer crashes and me not being able to get in the habit of hitting ctrl-s periodically. I do make backups of everything, on separate drives though, so nothing ever gets totally lost, even if I have a major hard disk **** up.

All my 2D stuff is in a closet at my parent's house.

In fact, check out some of this old ass 3D work. I think the light saber was my first real render ever. And check out this badass sword and my badass renders. And dem polycounts! I think this stuff is the oldest work I have. Its from April '06. Guess I did lose some work at some point, because I started working in 3D in late 04 I think.

swordwireframe.jpg

swordfullrender.jpg

saberrender.jpg

EDIT: HAH! look at this motha****in cup model. This is the most badass plastic cup model you've ever seen. Modeled this bitch in nurbs and textured it with just a ramp node. Sold this mofo a couple times on turbosquid for five bucks a pop.
partycuppersp.jpg

I ctrl+s constantly, because nothing is more infuriating and painful than losing 3 hours of displacement work in Hammer due to a crash. Now that there's autosave it's somewhat improved, but still. I'm not sure if I still have all of my old UT, HL1 and earlier HL2 maps around on a hard drive somewhere or not, but I suspect many of them are gone forever. I certainly haven't the faintest idea where my first few UT maps circa 2001 are.

Not much stuff, but the things that have disappeared into the foggy mists of non-existence were always that one bit of text that was juuuuust right. Like this fall, during nanowrimo, a page and a half of ****ing awesome pacing, descriptions and dialogue that flew like a river. Gone in a single Office-crash.

Also, one of the few things I wrote in Swedish and was happy with- two years ago, opened up the document one day, nothing but gibberish. Corrupted.

I may have lost my balisong model... first real 'serious' model I ever created. Don't remember. It could very easily be on one of our numerous portable hard drives somewhere.

Don't really care though... it was just a learning experience.

For Images:

http://halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143404

Actually I don't think I've ever lost work due to being male.

My dissertation got corrupted once.

I dont think Ive ever panicked so much in my life. I had other copies elsewhere (home PC, USB HD, USB flash and Uni server) but I think I had left them in varying stages of completion.

Somehow I got it back after that save-point thing you can do in Windows, the name always eludes me.

I want my Mac, never go through that crap ever again.

Anyone had a problem with their DVDs becoming unreliable?

I had some things backed up on a DVD once... high quality RiData DVD-R's... and after a while the DVD became incredibly unresponsive when I would try to load it into my disc drive.

It was stored fine... no heat, no compression or shearing forces as far as I'm aware... no scratching. But still it's been corrupted it seems.

All of the programs I made for Windows 3.x., including a Dungeon Master clone I was working on.

I lost all of my GCSE art work. I never went back to pick it up and it got thrown out. I thought I had to return the following year upon passing, but it was the Christmas before that year. Sucks! Had some decent work in there.

I haven't really lost much else, which I'm glad about. Few odd maps here and there, maybe a couple of models, but nothing which springs to mind so they must not have been that great or I wasn't so passionate about them.

Lost progress on some assignments but nothing major, though it was still really annoying.

I moved from pencil/pen drawing to using a graphics tablet ages ago so most of my most recent stuff is on my photobucket and removable HD. Guess it would suck to lose it but I haven't done artz in ages now.

I don't think I've ever lost anything of major importance.

I made such a ****ing scary map i shat my pants each time testing it.

This made me LOL. Also, I believe the word you're looking for is portfolio.

i've accidentally hit the switch on the surge protector with my foot at work a few times...one of the times i lost about 2 hours of work.

another time i made an EPIC halo 2 montage to the theme of float on by modest mouse, which i thought i posted here but i'm sure it's long gone. had to reformat my pc and forgot about it.

Losing PS2 memory cards, if that counts.

My cat ate some art homework that I was really proud of once. He eats any paper that we leave lying around. My teacher didn't believe me at all when I told her.

My cat ate some art homework that I was really proud of once. He eats any paper that we leave lying around. My teacher didn't believe me at all when I told her.

Thats probably because you are also a cat, and she didn't understand your meowing.

Hah, that was fun. I see why you guys do it to me all the time.

Conspiracy: Kyrnn is referring to synthetic fur suits.

Back