Would you buy this PSP

Would you buy a PSP with the following information and price?

• Yes, Definatly.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I can not make my decision.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No, its a waste of money.

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters

IchI

Reaction score
Ok, I have been waiting for the PSP to be realised for ages and I have hit a brick wall when its like... shall I buy it or shall I not. Basiclly I have just been payed on the 10th Janunary and I payed of all the money I ow my mum (as usual :p) Now I am waiting for my next pay slip until I can buy my PSP, thats if I decide to actually order one. Basiclly I don't know what to do. I could simply lend the money of my mum and get it within 7 days. Then just pay her back when I recieve my pay slip. But at the current price I am like... EEK! I need some advice about what you would do, Please do not sujest I buy a DS because I do not wish to have one. I am also spending a lot of money, so try be nice and serious. So like.... check this out:

PlayStation Portable System
  • Battery Pack
  • AC Adapter (100-240V)
  • Memory Stick Duo
  • Headphone with remote control
  • Soft case with hand strap
  • free Travel plug (for required countries)
Games
  • Ridge Racers
  • Armored Core

Total US$ 558.90
Total UK£ 297.80

Of-****ing-course. How can you deny the sleek, sexy, and slim PSP? :E

I shall pick one up eventually - but will wait and see what titles arrive first.

that price is a bit high! I can't tell you what to do, but I would feel terribly guilty to pay that much for anything short of a computer. I would wait because having technology before everybody else isn't worth that price.

I think PSP's are a waste of money, but maybe that's just me.

I would wait untill you can get it for a cheaper price or just wait untill it comes out in UK.

I have been debating if I should import one from japan but I decided I will hold of till march when it is released in north america. Hopefully there will be a bigger games library and sony will have released a couple firmware updates. Importing one for such a high price would scare me if the unit is defective. If you can hold off for 2 more months you would save $250US. For $558 you could buy two PSP in united states and maybee a game or two (sorry I dont know uk prices).

But the decision is your to make.

dont get that pack, get just the reg pack. save you 50 USD., aslo for 558, NOT worth it. Just wait a bit.

dlandis72 said:
that price is a bit high! I can't tell you what to do, but I would feel terribly guilty to pay that much for anything short of a computer. I would wait because having technology before everybody else isn't worth that price.

Not a rip off at all. I never buy anything bundled though. A normal PSP by itself should do most people.

Frankly, I can't see EVER getting to use the DVD capabilities, sitting down for 2 hours or more, except on a plane. That's pretty much the only time you'd ever use it. The audio is nice, but why carry a big thing around when you can get an iPod? Games? Get a DS. Combine a DS and iPod and it's STILL cheaper than ONE PSP. Sorry, but PSP just isn't for me.

Hehehehe, well I ordered my PSP :D now I just have to wait. They usual ship within 24 hours and they said they have some in stock. So it will proberly be about 4/7 days before I get it. I just ended up buying one tbh, I have nothing else to spend my money on. I already have a powerful computer and all the computer systems you can have. Infact the only thing I don't have is a PSP and a DS, may be I will buy a DS in the next couple of months. But not atm I badly want a PSP. Sp what the hell I might as well buy one. You only live once and I cba waiting about 4 months. Its the same with my x800 xt pe. They are still on preo-order and hard to get. I have had mine for like 2 months already.

I want one so bad. The wait just seems like its forevor :(

too much money, and I would hardly ever use it.

total waste of money.

of course i dont have money so I might be biased.

Horrible waste of money. It's got so many useless features which jack up the price. I paid $200 less than that and got an xbox which is so much better than some crappy gameboy on steroids.

I have an xbox, playstation 2, PC and gamecube. So I can pritty much play any game I like

I have a wide screen TV and home theature system... so I can view things with insane sound and visuals.

I have cable TV, so tv is sorted and basic entertainment is sorted.

I have a huge stero system for all my music so don't have to worry about music.

I have just got a new clothes so don't need anything new to make me look sexy.

I have huge collection of anime and manga that I still need to catch up on so I am not in any hurry to buy anime or manga.

I still have loads of japanese films to watch so I don't have any need to buy any new ones. I also need to watch my serpranos and six feet under DVD's.

I have enough spare cash to keep me going for food, drink and your basic shit.

I have a 1.5mb connection so don't and can't get anything faster :O

Oh and everything was bought by my self and its all in my room, I don't get shit from my parents so if you think I have nice parents then your wrong. My mum only gave me £50 for xmas :O CHEAP!

Soo...... why do you think so stronly that I shouldn't have bought a psp? :D

My virtual penis is now at level 7

MurderScene said:
ill end up buying it if the price goes down to $100-$150.

Hmm.... Maybe £100 - $200 but definatly not $100. They would lose way to much money with each unit cost. Take into acount how much the PSP costs to make. Even the xbox had never made money from unit sales, all of its money is made from selling games.

Anyway, it will be released in america late march, but even then it will start off at about $400 by the time its released in Erope which will be about october 2005 (may be they will wait for xmas) then it will be about $200/300

$100-150 is something like 60-90 quid. That cheap and you'd think they've been nicked off the back of a truck! :p

I would say a reasonable price for what your buying is more around the £150-£200 mark.

The PSP seems to be getting a bad rep from most of us forum goers - the battery life on its own being the biggest turn off and I can't see 80% of mainstream consumers being too happy buying extra accessories just to play games for great lengths of time. Also remember than portable gamers go through long periods of time with games on pause - which I know from experience can eat battery life (hence why the DS has its amazing quick sleep mode).
The DS on the other hand is already getting rave reviews and is introducing new great gameplay techniques with its touch screen interface - plus the games have been getting boss reviews and the battery life lasts generally 7-12 hours. Unlike the PSP's now toted 90 minutes - 6 hours.

Hmmm.... IGN did tests on the battry life of the PSP and with fullbrightness and full stereo speakers on full detail gameplay it lasted 4hours. The sleep mode (when paused) lasts I think its 24 hours + The battry life is low but personally I don't think I will be playing it that long without going home anyway... 4 hours playing a game.... its most likly you will reach a charger when you sleep (unless you sleep in the street). I will proberly only play it little amounts each day when I am bored at school. This is the main reason I got it. Also when traveling from place to place in the car it will make my trips much more enjoyable. I don't plan on using it like I would a console or my PC at all.

Also people say its expensive. but if you think about it....

The the PSP will be sold for £170 in the UK. Fair enough... but you don't get a memory card and no game... I bought a memory card and two games.

Game = £30 x 2 = £60
Memory = £20
PSP = £170

Total = £250

To say I am getting it this early I can't complain at all. I also don't think tis as expensive as everyone makes out :p

I think it's expensive for what you get.

Too small for movies, too big for an mp3 player. Being basically a portable PS2, the games don't attract me a great deal.

Jack of all trades .....

(still, I'll get one when it's dirt cheap in a year or so - just to pick up the few exclusive classics. If there are any)

Kommie said:
*cough* *cough* *ripoff!* *cough* *cough*

It is not the psp by itself. This isn't a ripoff.

Nintedo DS $199.95 AUD

Sony PSP - Only the japanese version is available. Release date is sketchy.

Kyo said:
It is not the psp by itself. This isn't a ripoff.

IchI said:
Nintedo DS $199.95 AUD

Sony PSP - Only the japanese version is available. Release date is sketchy.
PlayStation Portable System

* Battery Pack
* AC Adapter (100-240V)
* Memory Stick Duo
* Headphone with remote control
* Soft case with hand strap
* free Travel plug (for required countries)

Games

* Ridge Racers
* Armored Core

Total US$ 558.90
It definately IS a ripoff and so is a nintendo DS

Kommie said:
It definately IS a ripoff and so is a nintendo DS

A rip off is my uber cpu and x800 xt pe.

Great hardware, poop games :/

(personally i'm enjoying the DS a great deal. For 100 notes it's an excellent deal)

I'm not planning on buying it. It has nothing to do with thinking it's a waste of money... Just not interested.

Nothing is a waste of money if you want it. Oh and Kommie I commend you on your great Quoting skills.

Right I've been far to sarcastic today.

Get a Nintendo. Shiggy knows his stuff when it comes to portables.

He's had lots of practice.

I wasnt going too, but, since rockstar just announced they are making a bran new GTA Game for it, well, i might just pick one up...when its cheapr mind...

If you convert yen to us dolers it would cost 160$ US
i hope it stays that way so it will probly cost 210 can

That design has always been begging to get scratched the feck up.
The DS wins again on that one - plus the fact that with the Stylus, you can have better analogue control than has yet been possible. The PSP lacks analogue altogether. DS win again!
Although what's the deal with the shitty thumbstrap? I think it should have been more of a thimble design.

The PSP has an analogue thumb controller on the left-hand side... and yes, it is analogue.

The PSP does not have a scratched screen either, it seems like it's coated in that stuff thats on the back of CDs that makes them hard to scratch.

Sorry, I was misinformed (by a PSP owner). I was told there was no analogue control on the psp.
And trust me, anything shiny will get scratched real easy.
I know from experience of many cellphones and GB systems.
And if you're actually using it as a portable system (instead of ruining the point of the system by using it at home all the time) you cannot possibly avoid scratching or scuffing that.

well I was wondering because I heard people saying that you could take a steel wool to the screen and not scratch it. It is the same coating that is supposed to be used on the upcoming blue ray disks. I wish Nintendo would implament something like this with their handheld systems. Gladly I dont have any scratches on my DS yet. They are harder to see with backlight screens though.

Back