Xbox360 slim

If it really is whisper quiet i'm sold. My current 360 sounds like a plane taking off and is distracting during games/dvs. It also has hdmi which my old 360 lacks, and a bigger drive, which is maxed on mine. And it's black, like all my other av gear. Nothing major, but all together enough for me.

Well, the CPU and GPU have been reduced in size, which decreases heat, which decreases fan requirements, so the fan speed could be lower. And maybe they put a better quality fan that's quieter.

But why buy this one if you have a maxed-out 360?
And I think this is mostly a move to get more people to buy one for the first time. If you already have a 360, they don't really need you to buy one, though obviously it wouldn't hurt them. But they want people buying the games. A .20 cent plastic disc for $60 (obviously there are employees to pay, but still there is a lot of profit to be made here by selling as many games as possible), and DLC, which costs them practically nothing.

EDIT: the fact that the old HDDs will be incompatible is a pretty good move on MS part (sucks for us though). There must be a million extra HDDs floating about with all the bad 360s early on, and people upgrading HDDs. Now they won't be compatible means you'll need to buy one of the new ones if you have the new system, and so on.

I'm looking at a 2,000 GB HDD for my PC for about $110, so... consoles, LOL.

I'm not sure I like the look, though the built in wi-fi and hard-drive sounds alright.

I had the extra chance to get the Arcade bundle with 2 games for $150 with my 10% discount and a $50 gift card.....I feel pretty dumb for not getting it but I should have bought it just to sell it on ebay or something

Looks like an Alienware gaming PC .

Heh, I've actually heard that comparison recently. I'm buying it for the HDD/built in wifi, and the fact that the used 360 I bought awhile ago, red ringed. Screw the warranty, hopefully this new version won't be a malfunctioning piece of crap!

If you still have the other one, use the warranty to fix it and then sell it to a gamestore. Atleast get some of your money back.

$300? Didn't someone say they were making different versions? I don want to ever pay more than $200 for any console ever.

This is the stupidest ****ing thing. I don't know why everyone is so hung up on it.

HMMM
I WONDER WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU MOVE AROUND A CONSOLE.. OR A PC FOR THAT MATTER, WHEN A DISC IS WORKING INSIDE

HMMMMMMM
Exactly. What the hell was he thinking would happen? This is just stupid.

Seems like everytime I post something it's the last post on a page and no one ever sees it...

Edit: All he did was tilt it though. He didn't pick it up and shake it or anything crazy. That much could happen if you have it upright and a cat bumps it. I mean I'm no console guru, but my PS2 has fallen off a shelf a couple feet and not only kept the disc pristine but kept playing the game.

This is the stupidest ****ing thing. I don't know why everyone is so hung up on it.

HMMM
I WONDER WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU MOVE AROUND A CONSOLE.. OR A PC FOR THAT MATTER, WHEN A DISC IS WORKING INSIDE

HMMMMMMM

In his defense he didnt do much and it ****ed up badly. I think it means the inherent disc scratching problem remains.

An idiotic friend of mine done that once and it made that noise but the disc was still fine. If it wasn't i would have ****ing killed him. Stupid c***

So has Microsoft said anything about fixing the RROD on the Slim? Guess I'll just have to wait until the first one breaks.

I imagine it'll be the same as it is currently otherwise they would have mentioned it. They mentioned the better fan after all.

HMMM

HMMMMMMM
But it would have prevented this situation:

"David why are you playing this up here, you should be using the downstairs TV"
"Alright mom, just let me save the game so I can-"
"Here I'll help" /picks up the console

KCHZZZZZEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRNG

"What was that?"
"My game disc being destroyed."

I should note that by "picks up the console" I mean "lifts it about an inch off the ground while keeping it level"

My first 360 had that problem. I didn't even pick it up, I just moved it across a flat surface a few inches and BZZZZZRRRRRRT game gone. Luckily it was like 3 days after purchase so the store was like "whatevs have a new one."

Never touched my 360 when it's doing it's shit again.

Yeah, I'm really careful (read: super paranoid) when pressing the power button or inserting USB or something. I use a USB extension cord, and I just plug my thumb drive into that instead of my PC.

There are parts moving at 7,200 revolutions per minute with precision clearances of only microns.
a 48X drive might attempt to spin the disk at up to 24,000 RPM
Yeah, don't bump it, move it... don't even look at it the wrong way.

No, seriously, it's not that bad anymore like used to be, but I wouldn't bump it just to be sure.

Yeah, I'm really careful (read: super paranoid) when pressing the power button or inserting USB or something. I use a USB extension cord, and I just plug my thumb drive into that instead of my PC.

There are parts moving at 7,200 revolutions per minute with precision clearances of only microns.

Yeah, don't bump it, move it... don't even look at it the wrong way.

No, seriously, it's not that bad anymore like used to be, but I wouldn't bump it just to be sure.

Yeah that's the reason most hard drives fail. Shipping alone will prove enough shock to shift the platters or the arm enough that it will kill everything after some time. Makes me paranoid. The weird thing is that my old computer I took to lan parties all the time... bouncing it around without even a side on the case (I actually would put my keyboard and mouse in the open side) and having it in cars and weather of all sorts... never killed that hard drive.

Still it's a console... it's meant to be portable to some extent. You prolly shouldn't be moving it around while playing it, but at the same time if something happens and it does move, you shouldn't be punished by having your disc destroyed... It should be able to accomodate slight movements.

I didn't watch the video, but it does sound unreasonably sensitive and of a flawed design.

I didn't watch the video, but it does sound unreasonably sensitive and of a flawed design.
Yes and Yes. Seems like a REALLY odd thing to NOT fix/improve if you want to offer the best kit around. Apparently they don't want to offer the best kit around. :E

Microsoft saves about $0.25 every time they choose not to install disc drive bumpers.

Good news: 360 slim is incapable of getting RRoDs.

Bad news: 360 slim has no red lights.

so is the ship date for this slim model today, tomorrow, sun, mon?? i've asked everyone and haven't seen one yet

Good news: 360 slim is incapable of getting RRoDs.

Bad news: 360 slim has no red lights.
Red ring now = red light. The power indicator in the centre of the ring will glow red if there's an error. Yep. Because that's what consumers were worried about, Microsoft.

Why does everyone keep calling it the slim? Microsoft has never called it that. It's simply the "new" Xbox 360. Even news sites are trying to compare sizes with the PS3 slim. It's a re-design that happens to be a bit smaller.

Why does everyone keep calling it the slim? Microsoft has never called it that. It's simply the "new" Xbox 360. Even news sites are trying to compare sizes with the PS3 slim. It's a re-design that happens to be a bit smaller.

Because console updates are usually slimmer or built for the purpose of being smaller. If Microsoft gives it another name I'm sure it will catch on and people will stop treating it as a smaller model.

Technically, if you look at Best Buy, Gamestop, and Walmart, they have it listed as Xbox 360 S. If that doesn't signify slim, then it must mean SUCCOTASH.

EDIT: Ok so I don't know if Best Buy does. I think it was Gamestop that had it named like that. I'm not even sure.

I'm tempted to try and cell my old non-HDMi 360 along with a 20GB HDD, a wireless controller and some games like CoD4, Fable 2, PGR3. The large HDD, Wifi, potential lack of RRoD and the HDMI port all seem worth it to me if I can sell a lot of crap I don't use anymore for around $200.

How much do you think I could get away with selling my xbox/accesories for in Canada?

http://www.gossipgamers.com/how-to-trade-in-your-old-360-for-the-new-360-for-90/

The new sexy slim Xbox 360 are in stores now for $299 but can be yours for $90 or less with GameStops special trade in program.

GameStop is now taking in any old Xbox 360 units with one controller for $100 store credit, and that’s without the hard drive. They are paying $30 for 20GB, $35 for 60GB, $40 for 120GB and $50 for 250GB.

The new Xbox 360 also comes with built-in Wi-Fi, making the old wireless adapters obsolete. The white versions trade in for $40, while the newer black version will net you $50 store credit.

If you’re one of the few who has the Edge card, you will get an extra 10 percent store credit for accessories. So if you own a 250GB Xbox 360 with the black wireless adapter and Edge card, you’re looking at knocking off $210. Your final price on the new 360, $90.

I'll probably get one of these as soon as possible. I need a wireless adapter for my original 360 anyways. Instead of spending $100 for just that I can get the entire new console using Gamestop's deal for about $150.

Technically, if you look at Best Buy, Gamestop, and Walmart, they have it listed as Xbox 360 S. If that doesn't signify slim, then it must mean SUCCOTASH.

EDIT: Ok so I don't know if Best Buy does. I think it was Gamestop that had it named like that. I'm not even sure.

The label on the box says Xbox 360 S as well, so that's likely the "official" model name.

Also, this thing is ****ing gorgeous and really quiet. I'm really happy I got this. :D

Could mean Small, it's much smaller. But I expect it is slim, just because it is whatever people say it is.

The label on the box says Xbox 360 S as well, so that's likely the "official" model name.

Also, this thing is ****ing gorgeous and really quiet. I'm really happy I got this. :D

I second that. :D I love mine. :D

Back