Next Half-life to Scare and 'Broaden Emotional Palette'

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
In an interview with Edge magazine, Gabe Newell discussed the direction of the next Half-life related game and how the series has matured.
That isn't something we think about except as part of each project needing to respect the fact that simply repeating the past isn't going to have the same impact now as it did then.[br]I feel like we've gotten away from genuinely scaring the player more than I'd like, and it's something we need to think about, in addition to broadening the emotional palette we can draw on.
You may be wondering what Gabe thinks scares the player the most? According to Gabe - "The death of their children. The fading of their own abilities." Eek. CVG Story.

Well, good. It seems like they haven't forgotten about the Half life franchise after all...

gordon will lost the HEV suit I bet ya!

"Newell reckons he knows the deepest fear of the series' core fans." -Gabe Newell

GMAN IS GORDON FROM THE FUTURE!

Sounds good to me. Anything is better than waiting 3 years for the end of a story.

maybe Alyx is preggo . . .
and Gordon's the father!!!!!!!!!!
:LOL:

Gman has genuine fears too

Flight more preferable than fight against Advisors and enemy X

I remember when you first fight the Garg frightened the crap out of me, because I thought the Tesla Coils in Power Up was the only way to kill it. So thinking running was the only way to proceed did cause me to sweat and my heart to race. HL1 was some of the scariest times in the HL Series.

Then when your saw everybody shooting RPGs at Striders in HL2, you knew that the NPCs knew that they could take them down; thus the scare factor was deminished.
I want more NPCs to die to make you you feel helpless and alone.

So after two years of silence they suddenly tell us the game should 'scare' more? This makes me want to believe they haven't even started making the game yet. :LOL:

This is awesome news. I have faith that Valve knows how to do this well.

EDIT: WAIT I TAKE THAT BACK, THIS MEANS THEY ARE STILL IN THE EARLY CONCEPTUAL STAGE

If you are right ZT...God help us all.

Half-Life isn't scary? The only way I can play through Ravenholm is by listening to Gary Numan whenever there's a poison headcrab. I've memorised every poison headcrab position specifically for this purpose.

I need help.

Are Barney/Kleiner dead yet? I never got around to playing ep2.

Are Barney/Kleiner dead yet? I never got around to playing ep2.
It was pretty terrible. You find out Barney died on the train ride to White Forest, but you learn about it over the radios strewn across rebel safehouses in the country.

And Kleiner...oh god, the way he was clutching Lamarr to his chest as he was slumped over after the overwatch stormed through the base...

It was pretty terrible. You find out Barney died on the train ride to White Forest, but you learn about it over the radios strewn across rebel safehouses in the country.

And Kleiner...oh god, the way he was clutching Lamarr to his chest as he was slumped over after the overwatch stormed through the base...

But at least Eli survived. Can you imagine if he had died?

That was pretty affecting, but I think Valve pulled a fast one on us. The angles and placement of the shots always made me question how Kleiner could have even gotten hit. If you open up the GCF files and find the animations that play out in that scene, it highly suggests that:

Lamarr took the bullet. :(

heres a question: if you finish half life 2 ep 3 before your friends, will you be so excited you spoil it for them??

I'll post spoilers all over this forum. In big, size 6 caps.

You're all getting infractions for spoiling.

Please rerail this thread from the rather excellent turn it has taken

This is awesome news. I have faith that Valve knows how to do this well.

EDIT: WAIT I TAKE THAT BACK, THIS MEANS THEY ARE STILL IN THE EARLY CONCEPTUAL STAGE

Dangit, stop scaring people like that. THAT'S IT! Never releasing the game is what scares us the most.
I think you all should E-Mail Mr. Newell and tell him honestly what you find frightening in games, and not
a "zombie sneaking up behind me" way, a more story-driven way. I think I'll ask my brothers and
sisters and get a collection of replies. :p

Soooo... are we to expect Half Life 3 to start with a middle-aged, HEV-less Gordon getting his kids kidnapped by G-Man?

I jest, i jest... Although I do wanna see how well Gordon would do without those convenient morphine injections. Mmmmm... morphine.

Two things. First I think this shows why valve is taking so long with the game. It isnt the story thats the problem...its how to make the levels (specifically in the Artic) interesting enough and challenging enough. Were I in their position I feel there would be less challenges in designing the levels of City 17 in Episode 1 or White Forest then the abandoned Artic levels. Since valve knows that it takes long to produce HL games and since they know Episode 3 isnt that long/or a full game...there is a challenge to put more quality AND quantity in the levels that exist. Episode 1 wasnt a problem because they built off of HL2 and Episode 2 wasnt as big of a problem either because they built of material from the highway levels and just built of what they already had.

Anyway is this Edge edition coming out next month or did it already come out?? I have the one that says Feb. 2010 with the Halo Reach cover and I can't find the interview anywhere.:rolleyes:

I thought the Halo Reach cover magazine was from GameInformer? And please, for the love of God, spell it "Arctic". :p

Soooo... are we to expect Half Life 3 to start with a middle-aged, HEV-less Gordon getting his kids kidnapped by G-Man?

I jest, i jest... Although I do wanna see how well Gordon would do without those convenient morphine injections. Mmmmm... morphine.

i guess if they want half-life to go dark, gordon can start hurting himself because he's a morphine addict.

good to finally hear some news about half life, i think this is a good sign we will hear something at E3 this year :) also Barny died :O ?? i played episode 2 twice and never picked up on that :( gutting how could they kill him off

Apologies on the spelling of my previous post. Studying late and then typing a comment while dead tired can lead to some mistakes. :upstare:

Any who I am glad that Valve is finally talking about half life. I just don't see any news of Episode 3/Half Life 3 coming out this or even next years E3....it sounds, like somebody said, like they are still in the conceptual stage of developing the game. After reading Gabe's comments...I finally believe that Valve has hit a speed bump with HL and now they are trying to figure out where to go with the new additions to the series.

I finally believe that Valve has hit a speed bump with HL and now they are trying to figure out where to go with the new additions to the series.
I'm sure they'll find a mod team or a group of students or some steam forum posters to help them "figure out" where to go from here.

its been 3 yrs and they done nothing what so ever? and there talking about it now....hmm i doubt it, while i dont think we will see a release until 2011 after portal 2, i doubt there still in concept stages

Maybe Gus the forklift operator will return...

Maybe thats why Valve was at GDC this year to find new fresh minds to help with the half life games.

But thats kinda the thing besides Episode 3 and Portal 2 what else is the entire valve team working on right now? Maybe CS2 but even that shouldn't take much time.

A different new game title? Source 2.0? Left4Dead Redundancy? :x

To Scare, or how we managed to put more poison headcrabs around every corner and in more obscure places than ever before

Alyx is going to get pregnant but it will be stillborn

the end

im gonna get emotionally angry and upset if valve dont release it and scared they will cancel it, i think thats what they mean :p

Back