You fav/worst/most disappointing games of 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56031

I thought that now that black ops is out and most big games of the year have been released this would be a neat idea for everyone to put their opinion in on the year thus far.

Best games:

5) Black Ops
4) Bayonetta
3) VVVVVV
2) Bad Company 2
1) Mass Effect 2

Worst and most disappointing games:

5) Alan Wake (disappointing)
4) Alpha Protocol (disappointing/bad)
3) Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions (boring!!)
2) Kane and Lynch 2 (bad)
1) Yakuza 3 (bad)

Honorable mentions for both categories:

Halo Reach - the most polished variation of the halo gameplay yet and closest to the first in overall quality (tho ODST has the best story) however i don't like halo's mp and quite frankly anything below heroic makes the game a bore plus an underwhlming storyline doesn't help

Vanquish - such brilliantly refined gameplay but not alot of imagination or variation to the set pieces not allowing this to its full potential

Heavy Rain - Tense, enjoyable and effective thriller but filled to the brim with plot holes! O_O

Red Dead Redemption - ok not a bad game at all and quite good but i need to mention it cos i just dont get all the hype, I DONT GET IT! o_O

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - not out yet but personally has a good shot at my top 5 as i love the AC series and i loved the mp beta :)

Considering I've only purchased one game this year it'd go to Bad Company 2.

Good:

Arma 2 OA
Eschalon Book II

Bad:

Cities XL

None. The only one that probably could've fit the bill is Alan Wake, but I completely lost interest while it was still in development so meh...

Favorite -
Most of them I have yet to play so it could go either way but...

Black Ops
Hot Pursuit (has always been my favorite N4S game, and with Criterion working on it, it should be even better)
Medal of Honor (Iffy here, but I always do like a good cinematic SP, which is what I understand this to be.)
Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare
Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Play a good bit with my brother in law, makes it much more fun)

Worst -
New Vegas (Words cannot describe the hate.)

Every 2010 game I've played ranked in order from best to worst:
  • Team Fortress 2 - It's pretty much a new (and better) game every year. I just need a new PC so I can run it properly.
  • Red Dead Redemption - Fantastic SP with a good story, characters, loved the ending. Loved almost every minute. Great atmosphere great great great. Also played a small bit of MP which is fun as hell. Never thought I'd like a lock on system in a MP shooter but damn it's fun.
  • Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Only gotten around to playing the first episode. General adventure game fun. Good puzzles. Future vision is an interesting mechanic (and a nice way of integrating the hints system to the story :p ). Must play the rest.
  • Worms: Reloaded - Would be unbelievably good if it weren't for the damned menus. The menus were not designed for a PC and it shows. A line of text takes up a fifth of the goddamn screen and every selection is made through cycling through arrows instead of a drop down menu like it should be. Wish I'd played it more but haven't had the time sadly.
  • BioShock 2 - Played the first couple of levels. Good so far. Having the plasmids in tandem with the guns is good and how it should have been in the first game. Pretty much an expansion pack for Bioshock though. Looks the same, plays mostly the same but it is improved. Hacking is better, guns are nice (though I'm missing the revolver ;( ) and it just feels like a better shooter than Bioshock. Unsurprisingly the story seems to have suffered for this and it's just not grabbing me the way the first game did.
  • Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight - Oh god. Oh dear god this game is painful. I couldn't make it past the fourth mission because it's just such a trainwreck. I had a look on the cncwiki about the units, and the selection looks really interesting and it almost makes me want to give it another go, but the missions are just dreadful as is the story. They've managed to make worse FMVs that the ones from C&C3. EA has successfully killed this series, even though I'm still kind of hoping they make a Generals 2.

What's wrong with it? I wanted to pick it up eventually =/

I just get bogged down in bugs and glitches. Because I never stop every five seconds to make a million saves, I always get screwed. 2 Playthroughs were ruined from bugs. First playthrough half the main story characters were not where they should be/ faced the wrong direction/just couldn't get a dialogue option. Plus I eventually got locked into a tiny ass area due to invisible walls. Second playthrough, well, I made a video to show the stupidity, but basically I walked through a door and turned to jell-o/died. Trying once more now, but regardless this game is going back for either Medal of Honor or Hot Pursuit.

Fav:
-Minecraft Alpha
-Fallout New Vegas so far(much less buggy/more enjoyable now I keep more important people alive)

Good:
-GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
-Battlefield Bad Company 2
-Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead(haven't played a lot yet to judge)

Neutral:
-Worms Reloaded

Bad:
-Mafia 2(which would have been a great and very complete game, but clearly had LOTS of content cut out. Probably nasty publisher tricks)
-Team Fortress 2, pretty much anything released after the soldier/demo update.

Good:
-Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
-ArmA 2 OA, BAF
-Minecraft
-APB had potential

Bad:
-Bad Company 2
-Black Ops
-Mafia II
-Hat Fortress 2
-Medal of Honor

Best games:
Red Dead Redemption
Bad Company 2

Worst games:
New Vegas (Boring. I haven't played the game in two weeks or so)
Black Ops (**** you, treyarch. Glad I pirated this.)

Everything else i've played has been my usual mp games like CoD4 and whatever I decide to replay for sp.

Best (will never be beaten): Starcraft 2. This has brought me hours and hours of enjoyment. If not from just playing it but the pro scene too. Can't see myself getting sick of it ever

Good: Arma 2 Really digging the play sessions with Veg, Viper, Raz, Krynn and Dinnesch. The level of realism while running is astounding, and the countless times you die all have great animations.

Best: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta and Fallout New Vegas.

Honourable mention to Sin and Punishment 2.

Worst: Anything CoD or CoDlike.

Best
Civ 5
Mass Effect 2
Arms II Combined Ops
Alpha Protocol
Demons souls (dunno if this was a 2010 game, but I didn't play it till this year)

Good
Mafia 2
Minecraft
Bad company 2
Red dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
New Vegas

Bad
Medal of Honor
Black Ops

The only games that could be considered disappointments would be Mafia 2 and Heavy Rain because I was hoping they would be great. Still good games though.

-ArmA 2 OA, BAF

Was BAF really worth getting?

With this latest patch, BAF lite is getting an upgrade. So I feel even less interested. Was the campaign really good or something?

Most of the games I bought were good (and I bought a lot of them)

I'll just do the bad -

DogFighter
Far Cry 2 (might have been the end of last year I can't remember)
Plain Sight

I'd say Deus Ex 2 since I couldn't get it to work, but I figure if I worked at it I'd fix it.

Like:
Bad Company 2 - Great fun
RDR + Undead Nightmare - Typical R* quality
Black Ops - I hate to say it after being so outspoken against MW2, but Treyarch did pretty good to bring it back to more COD4 roots
New Vegas - Would happily get lost in it again after a few weeks.

Dislike:
Mafia 2 - Boring as shit.
Medal of Honor - Terrible based on beta
Heavy Rain - After the novelty wore off and the ending was cannot be unseen, couldn't bring myself back to it. Madison Paige titties.

Was BAF really worth getting?

With this latest patch, BAF lite is getting an upgrade. So I feel even less interested. Was the campaign really good or something?

Didn't play the campaign. But I liked the new weapons and vehicles that came with it...

Didn't play the campaign. But I liked the new weapons and vehicles that came with it...

All that new content is free, albeit slightly lesser quality. Not worth $10 if you ask me. I'm still kind of pissed at BIS for doing DLC shit like this, but eh.

Also, why don't you play with us?

Best:
Mass Effect 2
Black OPS
Minecraft
Demon's Souls
God of War 3

Good:
Bad Company 2
Bioshock 2

Bad/disapointing:
(after thinking about it a while) Medal of Honor
Heavy Rain (I hate games that control this way, pisses me off)

I can't think of too much more atm but will probably add more

Best:
New Vegas (Surprised me the amount of detail put into this game, comparing to other bethesda train wrecks)

Good:
Bioshock 2
VVVVVV

Disappointing:
Mass Effect 2 (Shepard needed to die.)

Disappointing:
Mass Effect 2 (Shepard needed to die.)

If you did things a certain way, he could.

I dunno why the protagonist of the entire saga should die considering it's supposed to be a trilogy. I hate when games abandon the protagonist without good reason. Just look at Metal Gear Solid 2.

Favourite:
Aliens Versus Predator
Mass Effect 2
Call Of Duty: Black Ops
Sam And Max The Devils Playhouse
Splinter Cell Conviction
Mafia II
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition

Enjoyed:

Medal Of Honor Single Player Campaign
Alien Breed Remakes
Puzzle Agent
Shank
007 Blood Stone
Starcraft II
GTA IV: Episodes From Liberty City
Fallout: New Vegas
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Dead Rising 2
Kane And Lynch 2
Singularity
Transformers: War For Cybertron
Just Cause 2
Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light

Dissapointment:
Alpha Protocol
Bioshock 2 (unneeded sequel with shitty multiplayer)
Bad Company 2 Single Player Campaign
Lost Planet 2
Metro 2033 (excellent game until you have to play the shitty stealth sections and deal with some quite shocking level design.)

Far Cry 2 (might have been the end of last year I can't remember)

..two years ago.

Metro 2033 (excellent game until you have to play the shitty stealth sections and deal with some quite shocking level design.)

Are you kidding? Best part of the game. And you can go guns blazing in the stealth sections.

Most of my Choices have already been mentioned, But the dark horse of this year I really liked was Blur. Basically Mario Kart with real cars, its one of the best social games (ie, played with your mates in the same room either on split screen or system link) I've played in years. Hell of a good time, but seemingly unpopular, which is a shame.

I'm tempted to list Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition, as it is lots of fun and exactly what Blood Bowl should have been in the first place, and on its own merits, it would certainly be there. However, with the original Blood Bowl in mind, it feels distinctly like I was used to beta-test the game before the "real" release was made.

I particularly liked the darker themed Halo Reach, even if the gameplay wasn't super new, it was fun.

Are you kidding? Best part of the game. And you can go guns blazing in the stealth sections.

Yeah, which is clearly not how the game wants you to play it and it suddenly becomes a game of amazing trail and error as you try to battle your way through. Really is the worst part. Also, the stealth detection on enemies is ****ing psychic. They can see you through walls from a hallway away. Garbage.

Favourite:

Fallout: New Vegas
Alpha Protocol
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Metro 2033

Bad:

Mafia II

Note: I haven't played Singularity, Doctor Who Episodes yet.

BEST
  • Just Cause 2 for its over the top no holds barred sandbox gameplay. The gunplay isn't stellar and the AI is prehistorical, but the overall experience was very enjoyable.
  • Starcraft 2 for the nail bitingly exciting multiplayer. I suck at it and I will probably be stuck in Bronze forever, but it is still fun to play. The campaign wasn't bad either, gameplay-wise that is. Blizzard does need to stop using so many clichés though.

GOOD
  • Red Dead Redemption was certainly my most anticipated game of the year, and while I wasn't disappointed, it didn't exceed my expectations either. If anything, R* needs to work on their story telling. It is too mechanical (Example: Three NPCs always need three things done before you can progress the story).
  • Civ 5 ate up a lot of my playtime this year. I like the changes Fireaxis made to the gameplay, especially combat. There were some stupid bugs on release though, but most of them have been ironed out now.
  • CODBLOPS does everything it promises and nothing more. I enjoyed it for what it is: mindless manshoot entertainment. Still needs patching though.
  • BF:BC2 was going to be my multiplayer shooter of the year, but TF2 still holds that crown. I can't really say why I didn't fully click with the game, because it is enjoyable enough. Somehow though I stopped playing after 50 or 60 hours. Maybe the Vietnam DLC will change that.
  • New Vegas deserves a mention because I played it a lot more than FO3, but I still find the gunplay severely lacking. The next installment in the series really has to improve on that.

DISAPPOINTMENTS
  • Medal of Honor was such a bland game. Too bad Danger Close didn't persevere in what seemed to be their original approach: a more realistic version of CoD. In stead, they turned the game into just another 'me too' shooter.
  • Silent Hunter 5 was so horribly broken on release that Ubi Romania has probably killed the submarine genre for at least five years. Too bad. Silent Hunter III is still one of my favorite games ever.

Nothing really sticks out in my memory at the moment so I'll just pillage a few games from this thread -

Yes:

Mass Effect 2 - Stupidly solid campaign, few niggles don't keep it from greatness.
Red Dead Redemption - Somewhat faulted in retrospect, but I enjoyed it quite a bit while playing.
Minecraft - Kind of struggling to build any enthusiasm for it lately, but I already got my money's worth and then some.

Meh:

Alan Wake - It was okay. Could have been much, much better, considering what went into it.
Bad Company 2 - I wanted to like it, but evidently the game doesn't like me very much. :p
Black Ops - Ugh... see BO thread for my (wordy) thoughts. I still see a glimmer of hope for it, but it's as faint as can be.

NO:

Medal of Honor - Crap.

Like:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood <-- Don't care that it's not out yet for another few days, still my GOTY as its apparently better than AC2.
Mass Effect 2
StarCraft 2
Bad Company 2

Disliked:

Bayonetta <-- seriously, wtf is this game?

Disappointed/Could Have Been Better:

Red Dead Redemption <-- awesome world, awesome production, awesome everything. Not much to explore or do in the world once story completed? Fail. So annoyed at that.
Black Ops <-- all that hype for what? I'll take the trade-in thanks. Fall for this CoD crap every year.
Bioshock 2
Mafia 2 *double facepalm*
Medal of Honor <-- It..wow, just wow. Like the special kid jumping around waving his arms trying to get your attention with a sign on his shirt that screams ''please buy me over Black Ops!!'' No wonder they released it before Black Ops.

Dynasty, how the **** can you include Brotherhood and call it your GOTY when you haven't even played it?

Because, Stemot, it's apparently better than AC2.

The Good:

League of Legends: Probably too much time spent on this game. Great as a test of teamplay and personal skill. I have some beef with Riot's casualification of everything, but I still respect their attempts at making something other than Dota #2363754.

Arma 1/2: Technically the journey for me started with ArmA earlier this year. Great experiences, some tongue-in-cheek RP, it's all good. CoD/MoH: suck a huge fat dick, you don't understand what realism is. Any dev that claims their FPS is realistic needs to play Ace mod so they can cry themselves to sleep in comparative failure.

Starcraft 2: I think I'm enjoying it? But I'm pretty terrible. I mostly just play custom. I wish I had the time/energy to get really good at melee. We'll see during Christmas break.

The OK:

Dwarf Fortress 2010: Well, well. I didn't think we'd be here. Call me just a little disappointed that two years of dev yielded a pretty lacklustre experience overall. It's likely because most of the new stuff is going on behind the scenes, but considering how unbalanced the combat has been since March, I just don't see the point of the new release. I'll make a post on Adventure mode in the Screenshots thread soon.

Minecraft: Yup, I'll be having that dish of rage you want to serve me right now. Look--it's not a bad game. It's a good way to spend time between LoL matches. It's just not as feature rich as I'd expect from a game that causes people to have multiple orgasms. I mean, there's only one type of rock. Anybody who's played DF would cringe at that. Gold doesn't even do anything. SMP's bugginess has also been turning me off lately.

CoD4: OK, OK. Yes, I played to level 30 back in Spring. And I discovered that everyone who plays it sucks balls. I also realised that the majority of young FPS players have no idea what a balanced game is. Hardcore mode + silenced G3 + Overgrown = hilariously easy. Which genius designer's idea was it to make an unscoped semiauto rifle one shot people from the other end of the map? Still, a great way to refresh my CS reflexes.

The Bad:

TF2: This game's balance should be a punchline for stand up comedians. Will people still be playing this when there's Jah Ith Ber and Shael Pul Mal Lum rune combos and character stats? I predict in another year or two I'll be playing my lvl 62 Demoman Barbarian with Frenzy and double Grief runeword Claymores. If anyone is LFG to do Baal runs for good drops, just ask me.

Borderlands: While you're at it, do you mind grinding my coffee beans, too?

Dragon Age: I'd rather play 4th Edition with my friends who can actually tell a story.

Lord of the Rings Online: Yup, sure is canonical for Gandalf to give starting tutorials to every dwarf, elf, human and hobbit who ever leaves their home to start an adventure. That pimp gets around, but not as much as Tolkien does spinning in his grave. I wonder if they play WoW in the Gray Havens too.

TF2: This game's balance should be a punchline for stand up comedians. Will people still be playing this when there's Jah Ith Ber and Shael Pul Mal Lum rune combos and character stats? I predict in another year or two I'll be playing my lvl 62 Demoman Barbarian with Frenzy and double Grief runeword Claymores. If anyone is LFG to do Baal runs for good drops, just ask me.
Game still feels pretty balanced to me. I can think of no strategy that is unbeatable and nothing that can make a player dominate the playing field that can't be countered. Other than a couple of small things like making Natascha's effect fall off with distance I don't think any major rebalancing is needed. Your whole criticism falls down to "oh lol eets an or pee jee noa." Not liking the unlockables or new playstyle is fair enough and a valid complaint. TF2 is now WoW lololol isn't.

Haven't played that many this year but:

Best:
Alan Wake - I don't know why so many don't like it, I absolutely loved it, the storyline was fantastic and I haven't been immersed into a game as much as that for a long time (apart from Mass Effect 2), the combat was a lot of fun and was satisfying. And the graphics and most of all, the torch effects, haven't been beaten by a game yet.

Bad Company 2 - Can't remember the last time I had that much fun on a multiplayer, absolute blast, especially with friends.

Mass Effect 2 - Well you lot will already know why, everything Mass Effect had but bettered in every way.

FIFA 11 - It is basically FIFA 10 with a few changes and additions, but its still an amazingly fun game, and nothing will be as close as it in terms of hitting all the right notes for a football game.

Worst:
All the ones I would class as worst I have only seen gameplay videos of, which is why I never brought them, but Medal of Honor (a crap version of bad company 2 and MW2 combined), Black Ops (the entire series just needs to die) and Mafia 2 (FAR too linear for a sandbox game, holds nothing on the first).

Nobody said this was a thread for valid debating, let the man rant.

I can understand criticism for either side of the TF2 debate. I myself learned to like it. If you know how to haggle/bargain, it's a pretty opportune time.

Back