Your number one film

I'll have to say Last Ounce of Courage, an American flick, is my top movie. It really resonates with me as a lover of freedom and liberty. It shows that even when you're being run out of your own country, you can fight back! It really gives me hope for the U.K., which seems to be run by radicals who want to destroy traditional values.
How about Red Dawn? o_O

This is a tough question to answer off the top of my head, so I'll give my top 5 (that come to mind at this moment) instead:

5) Holes (2003)
4) Cloud Atlas (2012)
3) Wall-E (2008)
2) Spirited Away (2001)
1) Forrest Gump (1994)

Woah, that's amazing! I'll second August Levinstine to say that those movies you listed are way high up on my list as well. Would you and August (and anyone else for that matter) mind to name more of your favourite movies? I'd be really interested to know since I'm dying for new movies to watch and those seem to fit my personal taste! Just to help you, here's my list of amazing movies (in no particular order):

Into The Wild
American Beauty
SLC Punk!
Cloud Atlas
Reservoir Dogs
Donnie Darko
Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump
Holes
The Shawshank Redemption
American History X
Life Of Pi
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Lovely Bones
In Bruges

Which movies am I still missing, dyou reckon?

Would you and August (and anyone else for that matter) mind to name more of your favourite movies? I'd be really interested to know since I'm dying for new movies to watch and those seem to fit my personal taste!
I'd be happy to continue. I won't repeat the ones I listed in my first post. Here is my continuation, in alphabetical order, each with a micro-summary written by me.

*(The entries denoted with an asterisk are anime movies. Some people particularly like anime and some dislike anime, so I've singled them out to make them easy to see or avoid.)

5 Centimeters Per Second (2007)*
-An hour-long, episodic romantic tale between two separate sets of young lovers, told with gorgeous animation and harsh realism about the nature of separation.

Boyz n the Hood (1991)
-A bitingly realistic portrayal of the Los Angeles ghetto for young black people and all the unique problems they must face.

Bruce Almighty (2003)
-A touching romantic-comedy where a man named Bruce is given God's powers after complaining about what a lousy job God is doing.

Cast Away (2000)
-A Tom Hanks film wherein Hanks' character gets stranded on a deserted island for several years after a plane crash above the Pacific Ocean.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011)*
-A grand-scale epic adventure about saying goodbye for a normal girl named Asuna who inadvertently travels to an unknown world after meeting a mysterious boy who is more than he seems.

Drumline (2002)
-The young Devon, a recent high school graduate, attends a historically black Atlanta university to be a drummer in their marching band's drumline, but he must first overcome his own ego.

House of D (2004)
-An emotional rollercoaster of a drama revolving around a charismatic young boy who, along with a mentally-challenged janitor (Robin Williams) as his best friend, cannot escape tragedy, and eventually finds his way to Paris.

I, Robot (2004)
-A slightly dystopian take on 2035 Chicago following Will Smith as a detective as he tries to unravel the mystery of "perfect" robots who begin rebelling against humans.

In Time (2011)
-A thriller that takes place in a world where people's life spans are not determined by natural causes, but rather by the amount of "time" currency that each person has. As in, people exchange "time" instead of money, and running out of "time" means instant death. The two main characters of the film seek to restore equality among the incredibly rich-favoring economy of "time."

Interstella 5555 (2003)*
-A "space opera" of sorts following an extra-terrestrial band that gets kidnapped by the greedy Lord Darkwood and taken to Earth for their musical prowess. This silent film's only soundtrack is Daft Punk's entire "Discovery" album.

Kickboxer (1989)
-A cult classic Vam Damme film about a younger brother having to train in oriental kickboxing to defeat the man who paralyzed his brother in the ring.

Life of Pi (2012)
-A fantastical tale about a boy named Pi who must survive being stranded out at sea on a lifeboat with no companionship beyond a previously-captive Bengal tiger

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)*
-A grand-scale post-apocalyptic tale of a young and very capable princess who must stop a neighboring kingdom from angering a race of giant mutant insects that, when threatened, would wipe out humanity.

Only Yesterday (1991)*
-A realistic, subtle drama following an unmarried 27-year-old Japanese woman who has lived her life in the big city of Tokyo and chooses to move temporarily to Japan's countryside.

Pirates of Silicon Valley (1999)
-A docu-drama chronicling the rise to fame of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, as well as the rivalry between them and how that rivalry affected the worldwide development of the personal computer.

Ray (2004)
-A biographical film following the life of Ray Charles, with a dramatic focus on his long-running struggle with heroin addiction, and the resulting challenge for him to maintain a personal life along with his traveling music life.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)
-A remarkably faithful adaptation of the wacky graphic novel series by Bryan Lee O'Malley, wherein the slacker of a musician Scott Pilgrim falls in love with a delivery girl, but must defeat her seven evil exes to properly date her, with many stylized video game homages.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
-An unlikely teenager wins on the Indian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" and is accused of cheating, at which point he spends the length of the movie explaining how key moments in his life each gave him the answer to the gameshow's questions.

The Breakfast Club (1985)
-A coming-of-age comedy about a single day of high school detention for five teenagers, each representing a different high school clique, and how they survive the day together.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
-A ridiculously imaginative and visually stunning fantasy film about a traveling theatre troupe which takes its audience members through a magical mirror into their own imaginations.

The Iron Giant (1999)
-An animated science fiction film about a lonely boy named Hogarth who stumbles upon and befriends a gigantic human-like robot that fell from space during the height of the Cold War.

The Matrix (1999)
-A science-fiction action film about a computer programmer who learns the harsh truth that human civilization is nothing more than a computer simulation designed to keep humans complacent as their bodies are used as an energy source.

Up (2009)
-A colorful and emotional Pixar film following the 78-year-old Carl Fredricksen in his voyage to barely-explored lands via his own house, which he has outfitted with thousands of helium balloons.

432-ShockedMan.220w.tn.jpg

Night of The Living Dead is up there,The Good The Bad and The Ugly , In Bruges and American Psycho,all are great :D

I suggest "The Nightmare Before Christmas, Cabin in the Woods (funny as heck), Hating Breitbart, Fight Club, Man of Steel, Don't be afraid of the Dark, Haunted and Red Dawn (Original)

The following VT.net members:

August Levinstine
Ikagara
99.vikram
Mogi67
BadHat :(
Pikminiman
bobtheskull
TechnoHappyChic
Lncr
D-tarded

cannot comprehend basic sentences nor count to one.

This here is an example of why it's almost impossible to pick just one. There is always gonna be some that you remember after someone else mentions it.

That's why it's an interesting question. It's not an easy one. It's a difficult thing to decide. You pick ONE, even though you want to pick more.

But who am I kidding, the goddamn OP couldn't even get it right. I'm better off teaching dogs to stop eating chocolate.

And this thread would be pretty terrible if it was just people posting single films. A discussion of favourites in general is much more interesting

It's still a list thread. So it's on par with Buzzfeed.

Still, nobody's going to watch someone's entire list of movies they like unless they deeply respect that person. For strangers, limiting the choice to one film, and having the attitude of "this is the one and only film I recommend" is much more likely to result in people actually watching those films.

August Levinstine
Ikagara
99.vikram
Mogi67
Pikminiman
bobtheskull
TechnoHappyChic
Lncr
D-tarded

That's why it's an interesting question. It's not an easy one. It's a difficult thing to decide. You pick ONE, even though you want to pick more.

But who am I kidding, the goddamn OP couldn't even get it right. I'm better off teaching dogs to stop eating chocolate.

If you don't like my English the DON'T reply - No need to be an ass!

Viperidae you are being extremely childish. The point of the thread was not to impose a challenge on the community to try and pick a single favorit film. The point of the thread was to allow members to share films they highly recommend, or think that everyone must see.
I have had this feeling that I am very behind on quality films- If you have a film that you feel everyone should see please share!
This doesn't mean its limited to just a single film. Its just a general title for the thread. This assumption is then confirmed when the author himself provides an example with multiple films.
A few of mine would be: Cloud Atlas, Zeitgeist the movie, seven pounds

It is one thing for the OP to clarify that he was being explicit with his words, and another for some random poster to. If you are unsatisfied with the direction an OP has taken his thread, then leave the thread and pretend it doesn't exist.

Now to continue the movies-

"Plan 9 From Outer Space" Its known as one of the worst movie ever, and thats why you should watch it. its an old black and white film, very badly made but the premise of the film is a really good one.

August Levinstine
Ikagara
99.vikram
Mogi67
Pikminiman
bobtheskull
TechnoHappyChic
Lncr
D-tarded

Thank you. This is a very important issue that needs to be addressed. You must choose one film you like, not multiple films or else this whole topic will be derailed with talking about movies that you like, instead of the one movie that you like.

Admins, please limit this topic to one post per person. Thanks in advance.

I forgot about that one. that is a great one. Im also a huge fan of tesla himself.

The Ghost in the Shell movie was great.. cant think of any other anime movies but there are a few good shows that i know.

no the movie, the anime movie

August Levinstine
Ikagara
99.vikram
Mogi67
Pikminiman
bobtheskull
TechnoHappyChic
Lncr
D-tarded

hey fck you buddy

I wanted to punch Moonrise Kingdom in it's stupid fat movie face. Here are my summarised thoughts:

If I had to choose ONE FILM to make everybody in the world watch and that I regard as a pure masterpiece from all angles (cinematography, writing/themes, acting, production, direction etc) I think it would have to be Children of Men.

Not a conventional sort of movie I suppose, but Goodbye, Farewell and Amen, the movie-length final episode of M*A*S*H is my all-time favourite (thus far anyway).

It's incredibly deep and horrifyingly dark. The show really evolved into a maturer form after the Trapper/Henry Blake/Frank Burns era. To watch this finale compared to any episode from seasons 1-4 would is an unbelievably stark contrast, i.e. early-MASH = typical sitcom humour about sex, pulling pranks, etc. vs. later-MASH = the struggles of an Army hospital unit in the midst of war and chaos. The show never lost its humour, but it definitely found something deeper in its maturity.

It's also immense with plot.
Hawkeye in a mental institution after his inadvertent infanticide, Charles' loss of his love for music, Klinger falling in love, M*A*S*H 4077 relocating due to forest fires, Father Mulcahy going deaf, BJ abandoning his post.
It has it all, and the long-running saga does each character justice with an incredibly satisfying conclusion.

Honestly, I love this film so much, I can only stand to watch it once a year, at most. If you've ever watched the show, and enjoyed it, consider watching the final season or at least the final episode. If you've never watched the show, watch it.

I haven't posted in this thread yet and (unless I missed it) haven't seen anybody say Green Mile, which is a beautiful film, IMO. One of my all time faves.

Anyways, aside from that my personal tops are prolly:

Shawshank Redemption
Memento

Inception
The Bourne Trilogy
Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy (Particularly Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises)

Up
V For Vendetta

I've yet to see Cloud Atlas but I'm on the verge of getting round to it and a few here have mentioned it.
If anyone who has seen it wants to tip me over the edge of conviction, feel free.

It's not good, read the book, the book's not great, but David Mitchell is a reasonably engaging writer who gets through things by acting like he's being ballsy. Actually, maybe just read number9dream. Thousand Autumns is okay too. What were we talking about?

I haven't posted in this thread yet and (unless I missed it) haven't seen anybody say Green Mile, which is a beautiful film, IMO. One of my all time faves.

Anyways, aside from that my personal tops are prolly:

Shawshank Redemption
Memento
Inception
The Bourne Trilogy
Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy (Particularly Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises)
Up
V For Vendetta

I've yet to see Cloud Atlas but I'm on the verge of getting round to it and a few here have mentioned it.
If anyone who has seen it wants to tip me over the edge of conviction, feel free.

UP was pretty amazing but it think Finding Nemo tops my top animated films :)

Back