Your Weirdest Phobias

Meh, I only like mushrooms if they are on a pizza, otherwise not a fan.

Strange phobia nonetheless.

I have to admit, I'm a bit cautious of gold colored doorknobs, and rightly so.

Why are you afraid of gold colour doorknobs?

I don't think I have any weird phobias. Just normal ones like spiders, being out in the open water, heights sometimes.

I'm scared to death of bees enough that I won't leave the house during the spring or summer before checking out the window to see if there's any floating about and if there are I end up staying inside until I see an opening to run through.

That's about my weirdest phobia.

Swimming in anything besides a pool. For some reason the thought of having absolutely no idea what's swimming around underneath my feet absolutely terrifies me.

realtors? you're afraid they'll sell your house without your knowledge?

My friends sister is terrified of buttons. Go figure!?

I'm scared to death of bees enough that I won't leave the house during the spring or summer before checking out the window to see if there's any floating about and if there are I end up staying inside until I see an opening to run through.

That's about my weirdest phobia.

Same. You don't know the shit I had to deal with when I discovered a hive growing right above my apartment's back door. Well, it wasn't so bad, I just never went out to the back yard until one of the landscapers knocked it down one day. But then they moved to the front door in a bush that was right next to the door, and I was all "FUUUUCK" and then had to use the back door and go around so I could avoid them, and make sure they didn't get inside. I also had to keep my windows closed for most of the spring because every time I would open one, I'd come back to find a bee all up in between the glass and screen, so I'd have to close the window to trap the bee and let it starve to death before re-opening it.

- the dark
- water in which I can't see the bottom
- nylon
- glass against metal

The last two aren't quite phobias, but probably close enough. I can't stand the feel of nylon fabric on my skin, and I hate the feeling of glass and metal rubbing together. If you rub nylon on my skin, I'll probably hit you out of sheer discomfort :(

I think this weird aversion to mushrooms came about when I was a toddler and our family lived in England. Our backyard was full of wild mushrooms, which thrived in England's damp, cool climate. My parents told me that the mushrooms were poisonous and I should never touch or eat them. I was about three years old at the time and the mushrooms in our yard were HUGE. And I have three older sisters who were teenagers at the time; one of them was also quite an artist. To drive home that I shouldn't play with the toadstools in our yard, she used to draw shark teeth on the mushrooms in my coloring books. Those that didn't get the shark tooth cosmetic makeover got mean looking expressions drawn on their caps. One day, when my sister was feeling particularly mean-spirited, she enlisted another sister to pick some of the parasitic plants. They put them in a bag and had a great time chasing me around the yard, howling with laughter while I screamed and cried. It got so bad that I would actually freeze and start screaming if I so much as saw a mushroom close to me.

lol you can make anyone fear something for life whit soemthing like that

*takes notes to do the same to any kid whit some mundane things like toilet paper*

Dots and clusters of little things is probably my weirdest. Not really a phobia, but a pretty strong aversion to them.

OK finally found mine in that list:

Cremnophobia - Fear of precipices.

Until now I thought it was just the common fear of heights, but it looks like there is a term for this specific fear of being on the edge of a very steep slope.

Chorophobia, Philophobia and Gamophobia. Effectively the reason why I haven't gotten married yet

Dots and clusters of little things is probably my weirdest. Not really a phobia, but a pretty strong aversion to them.

huh? regular dots or moving dots?

spiders_small.jpg

the dot thing is pretty weird

All insects up close/touching me. Spiders/centipedes/etc regardless of proximity.

That's about it, I think.

I guess that's not a weird phobia though?

People from the UK driving in countries that aren't in the UK?

-Seaweed in dark/deep waters
-walking on ice
-slow moving fans, they mesmerize me and put me in a creepy trance that make me feel powerless
-people who shake (mainly old people)
-driving on black ice when I think the road is safe

huh? regular dots or moving dots?

spiders_small.jpg

the dot thing is pretty weird

I unzipped a bunch of files to my desktop by mistake once and freaked out for a second when I saw a bunch of red icons all over the screen. Looking at fish eggs on a leaf or someone's plate makes me want to barf. But lol at the spider image, that's pretty much what comes to mind when I see lots of dots. That and diseases/rashes. If it's moving, it's probably insects or something gross, anyway.

I have a fear of having my throat cut. I don't like to lean my head back in public because I feel like someone might slash it. I think it's from watching Braveheart at a young age.

I have a fear of having my throat cut. I don't like to lean my head back in public because I feel like someone might slash it. I think it's from watching Braveheart at a young age.

I never liked that scene either. D:

Also, if I'm up high anyway and leaning on a railing looking over, I'm always scared of someone just throwing me over D:

I have an immense fear of the dark in places I have never been.

Stayed with my ex in a hotel room once and I was just god damn terrified, to the point where I opened the bathroom door a tiny crack and left the light on.

It is that bad.

Also, after playing Penumbra, I have a fear of big dogs.

Parasites of any kind. I hate the everliving **** out of them. I can't even stand looking at pictures of most of them.

Also, stinging insects. Though that's less of a phobia and more of an irrational hatred/get the f*ck away from me bees kind of thing.

I don't like insects that make a "frrrrr" sound when they are flying and flapping their wings. I'm a bit grossed out when they're near. Flies, bees and wasps make more of an annoying "zzzzz" sound, but I'm talking about insects with bigger wings, so you can hear them flap.

I also don't like grasshoppers. They kinda have these flapping wings as well, but mostly I don't like them because they look kinda mean and they rapidly jump. Once I was at my PC and there was a grasshopper in the corner of my room, 3 meters away from me. I threw my slipper at it, but I think I missed, so I got up and just dropped the slipper on it, hoping that I'd kill it that way (I didn't want to slam it and get it's guts all over the floor). It didn't move when I lifted my slipper, so I left it there to die and sat at my desk again. Five minutes later I checked the corner - it was still there. 10 minutes later I check the corner - NO GRASSHOPPER IN SIGHT!

I opened my room door to see if it didn't crawl under it to the corridor. I sweeped the corridor looking for it. I checked my bathroom. I went back to my room and checked under my desk, my drawers, under the wardrobe. No grasshopper. It was around 2am, so despite the fact that I didn't know where that beast is, I decided to go to sleep. I lie down in bed, and turned off the light. Probably around 10 minutes passed and as I was slipping into sleep-mode--

"FRR--TUCK!"

HOLY SHIT, the grasshopper was in my room and it was not dead at all, as it obviously just bounced off a wall! I jumped out of bed, located the grasshopper, grabbed a mop and smashed it with it, slid it over the floor to the bathroom and left him under the mop there. I disposed of his body on the following day.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when I was a kid I was terrified of being abducted by aliens and of spontaneous combustion.

I don't have any weird ones, but the thing I absolutely fear the most, by very far, is losing a limb. Any of them. The thought terrifies me. ughhh

Swimming in anything besides a pool. For some reason the thought of having absolutely no idea what's swimming around underneath my feet absolutely terrifies me.
This oh god this.

Also the dark occasionally.

Omphalophobia and arachnophobia. When I was 3, I had a dream I was being pursued by giant spiders, which eventually caught up to me and impaled me through the belly button. Since then I don't let anything or anyone get near my belly button, and I have the most terrible fear of spiders.

Also I get creeped out about things getting near peoples' eyes but I don't think that's a phobia, I think it's just 'cause that shit's freaky.

This oh god this.
That oh god that. It happens to me in pools too, really. It's not really a phobia so much as a source of anxiety, given I don't keep my mind off it and I'm not alone.

Back