Zero Punctuation

Well, I wouldn't watch if it wasn't for this thread. Make of that what you will.

Well, I wouldn't watch if it wasn't for this thread. Make of that what you will.

Same here. I don't even recall the existence of the series without a weekly bump of this thread. I've watched every single one of them, but still, every Wednesday that comes around, the release of a new ZP video doesn't even cross my mind.

Some weeks I remember, other weeks I dont. This thread is a nice reminder though because I still enjoy them.

Same here. I don't even recall the existence of the series without a weekly bump of this thread. I've watched every single one of them, but still, every Wednesday that comes around, the release of a new ZP video doesn't even cross my mind.

I remember when he burst onto the scene there was competition between who could post his new video fastest. Doesn't seem that long ago.

I still enjoy his vids.

Well that's good enough for me, just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting time (and site bandwidth?) by posting the new vid each week.

Save the Giantbomb Quick Look things I really don't care much for any reviews, I just enjoy the hatred/angst Yahtzee presents in his videos. Also the Imps.

that was quite an interesting vid this week :)

if i can put on opinion on them for a mo :p

top 5

limbo - decent but a very overrated and personally i found to be a pretentious game
amnesia - not played it yet beyond the demo. Still going through penumbra which i'm too scared to continue with =s
rdr - just like limbo imo, a decent but a very overrated game
dead rising 2 - not played but i didn't like the first, tho i am willing to give another shot now
just cause 2 - not played but wasn't impressed by the demo, tho i am willing to give another shot now

bottom 5

bioshock 2 - I liked this game :( yes it was unnecessary but given what they had to work with i felt they done a really good job.
ff13 - not played dont want to
sw tfu 2 - not played dont want to (tho my brother has and its his most hated game of 2010)
metroid other m - not played dont want to
K&L 2 - my 2nd worst game of last year. ****ING AWFUL! :flame: i cant believe i was looking forward to it :|

He doesn't "hate" it, he thinks it's evil. There's a difference. ;)

I can respect his feelings on it, for once, but much of his (and other people's) complaints seem to centre around having a shitty guild. I personally hate guilds who "grats" you on every tiny accomplishment. Woo, I explored Dragonblight. Give me a ****ing medal why don't you.

Amusing review, especially the talk about how Fable 3 is essentially fascist.

A good review in my opinion, first one I've watched in over a year by him.

I've got the game, now I have to find time to play it D:

The problems facing the citizens of the First World(developed countries) these days, eh?:LOL:

Note: Not intended as a mean remark towards you as an individual, but joking with myself as well, since I have the same problems.

limbo - decent but a very overrated and personally i found to be a pretentious game

What did you find pretentious about the game?

I thought Limbo was very much refined to a fine shine. I can't really fault the game for trying to be anything more than a very good platformer, but I wouldn't call it pretentious. I think some of the reaction to the game, however, has been pretty pretentious. I don't think that's the games fault though.

What did you find pretentious about the game?

I thought Limbo was very much refined to a fine shine. I can't really fault the game for trying to be anything more than a very good platformer, but I wouldn't call it pretentious. I think some of the reaction to the game, however, has been pretty pretentious. I don't think that's the games fault though.

Sorry i guess you are right in that its reviews were more rpetentious than the game itself actually. However I do take issue with its ending which I seen as kinda pretentious...ish

Gah, you know what I mean :p

I enjoyed LIMBO, even though I didn't find much point in replaying it.

yea its defienitely a game that i felt wasnt worth the price point given it was too short and you'll never replay it tbh

Zero punctuation reviewed Minecraft, and HOLY CRAP he liked it.
[video]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft[/video]

Zero punctuation reviewed Minecraft, and HOLY CRAP he liked it.
[video]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft[/video]
>watch review
>read an old post of mine

Great minds think alike.
dddg.png

Oh okay so I guess all that was separating "grind" from "appreciation of value" was the ability to build a giant golden cock and balls. Good to know.

Holy ****. It's like he didn't even care enough to pay attention to the story of New Vegas.

Never mind that what happened before he/she got shot in the head is fully revealed throughout the game, and that the point of the blank slate was that you'd get to develop the character yourself. Anyone who PLAYED THE GAME knows that there's several instances throughout it in which you can determine things about your character's past through dialogue options.

I don't remember being able to determine your past through dialogue options, however I think that is a pretty poor replacement for real character development. I think that his main problem is he's viewing the game structure wrong. The beginning may be jumbled, but it does pretty clearly fall in Act 1. Act 1: Everything up until you get to New Vegas. Act 2: Working with and committing to factions. Act 3: Hoover Dam. The only way NV really differs from the formula is by having the inciting incident occur at the very beginning of Act 1 and letting you develop your character afterwards. I wouldn't let this affect your view of E.C. too much, they often use examples that aren't really flushed out, because they just need to make their point, and if they didn't like the game too much, it's an easy target. No need for fanboy rage.

What annoys me the most is that he bashes NV for random stuff, which is sometimes not even applicable, such as the backstory thing. I'm fine with people preferring a developed PC rather than a blank slate, but he makes it painfully clear that he barely played the game and didn't even seem to care to seek information about what happened to him before he got shot (which the game provides).

Also, the amnesia thing. New Vegas is NOT an amnesia story. Temporary disorientation at best. The fact that this guy doesn't know that speaks for itself.

Please refer to everything I've already said. They have some very interesting videos, don't take it too hard when they unfairly pick on a game you like.

I don't really agree with that video in general. Its not just that he is wrong with his analysis of New Vegas (I didn't get far enough to tell, I'll have to take Tav's word for it), but I think he doesn't really take into account the "player" part of a player character. For one, the stuff he is talking about really only applies to highly story-driven games. A sandbox rpg like Fallout 3/NV or Oblivion don't really work the same way. A blank-slate character in such games are supposed to be formed by the player during gameplay, derived from what the player does. I don't really think it needs to be represented as a manifestation in the dialog, plot, or any other form. Its simply intended to be the experience the player has.

Take Mount & Blade for instance. Firstly, I totally ignore the lame back-story stuff they do for character creation. It's there, but I doubt anybody pays much attention to it, so for the sake of this argument lets pretend it doesn't exist. The game is still exciting to me, I still like my character, and I still find the "story" interesting. But none of this is defined in the game. The story for my character is whatever I imagine it to be. I imagine my current character as a Vaegir-born lord, who grew up and progressed through the ranks as a squire, then knight, and then lord. One who is dedicated to his king, and who fights his king's enemies with honor. I can play this character of my own design, in the game and its still a perfectly valid narrative, as far as I'm concerned. Thats the point of an RPG to me, defining your own character, you know, Role Playing.

The things the guy talks about in the video don't apply to games that want you to imagine your own story in their world. They only apply to a game where the developers are trying to tell a story of their own, with you acting as the lead character. They're totally different situations, so his arguments should not be applied to certain game types, including New Vegas. There is nothing "wrong" with New Vegas, despite it not adhering to his criteria. Just like theres nothing "wrong" with a carrot, just because it doesn't have seeds like a fruit.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

The story for my character is whatever I imagine it to be. I imagine my current character as a Vaegir-born lord, who grew up and progressed through the ranks as a squire, then knight, and then lord. One who is dedicated to his king, and who fights his king's enemies with honor.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I think you just wanted to tell us about this, and used the blahs to seem nonchalant. Nerd.

I'm pretty sure the developers were trying to tell a story with New Vegas just like any other story-based game, only you decide how, in what order, and which parts are told (for the most part). The real problem with the video was that he was trying to apply the three act structure to everything, while clumsily representing the first act merely as "backstory." Which is dumb.

EC are sometimes thought-provoking but have an inflated sense of their own insightfulness, from what I've seen. Their vids have a tendency towards over-earnest statements of facile conclusions (as in the piracy discussion: 'don't be dicks'?), so there should be no call for, as an example, the guy to take a moment's break to contemplate the beauty of his own argument (as in the 'Facing Controversy' vid).

I haven't played F3, but, judging from the critical reaction to both F3 and F:NV, if there is an area where F:NV can be unfavourably compared to F3, then it's not the writing. To use F3 as the more successful example might suggest that there's something wrongheaded about your argument in the first place, but getting F:NV wrong is not the biggest problem with what EC says.

His whole discussion of story structure lapses into plain sophistry. 'X story convention has been over-used' is fine, as a statement of personal preference, but it shouldn't be dressed up as evidence that writers are getting lazy because they're defying Three Act Structure. He doesn't illustrate why amnesia should make for a poorer story (Planescape anyone?). He doesn't give a reason why the three act formula should be the optimal template. He mentions that Bioshock is a successful subversion of the three part convention but conveniently omits that it is also an
AMNESIA STORY!
He starts off suggesting that amnesia and 'In Medias Res' is laziness to get us to the action quicker - which is dismissive and unsupported - then he later allows for the fact that it is done to give room to the 'blank slate' writing philosophy, which is a much better reason than laziness. He doesn't give a reason why it's bad to have a hybrid of a named character with a past and a 'blank slate' character, but presumably he hates Gordon Freeman, who is another successful example of same.

I respect the fact that EC uses games as a source of philosophising, which is cool, I just don't like to see empty rationalisation.

'X story convention has been over-used' is fine, as a statement of personal preference, but it shouldn't be dressed up as evidence that writers are getting lazy because they're defying Three Act Structure.
He didn't. He said it was a convenient way to get straight to the action because games are interactive mediums, and are thus focused on act-2 like events.

He doesn't illustrate why amnesia should make for a poorer story (Planescape anyone?). He doesn't give a reason why the three act formula should be the optimal template.
He didn't do either. He pointed out that it's the most COMMON and most easily understood (and, one can assume by corollary, least difficult to **** up).

He mentions that Bioshock is a successful subversion of the three part convention but conveniently omits that it is also an
AMNESIA STORY!
TBH I don't even think he knows that it's a rehash of System Shock, which was more of a problem for the credibility of his argument. And I wouldn't really consider it a subversion of the 3 act system (Garden State, iirc, was); it's just told in a different order.

He starts off suggesting that amnesia and 'In Medias Res' is laziness to get us to the action quicker - which is dismissive and unsupported
I don't think he mentioned that using it was by default laziness. I'm pretty sure he said 'writers have GOTTEN lazy because it's so easy to just ignore act 1 now.' And it's not unsupported--In Medias Res really is used in almost every game.

He doesn't give a reason why it's bad to have a hybrid of a named character with a past and a 'blank slate' character, but presumably he hates Gordon Freeman, who is another successful example of same.
GF is not a blank slate character because absolutely nothing you do affects his story. You have to make it up outside of the actual game for yourself (like Krynn was mentioning with M&B). As for HL2's storytelling, I could drag up the old thread if you really, really want to know why it was bad.

I respect the fact that EC uses games as a source of philosophising, which is cool, I just don't like to see empty rationalisation.
Don't know what you're going on about. I don't remember any philosophical snobbery. Point it out, please?

----

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm turning into Stern, but really, this thread has just turned into a 'LOL THIS SHOW SUCKED' without even good arguments as to why it sucks. The guy just rehashes the absolute basics of storytelling (Which everyone should already know. Really, didn't they teach you this in grade 10 English?), talks about how F3's story was awesome (it wasn't), how FNV didn't follow the same structure, and somehow the best argument you guys come up with is 'his argument is invalid; I don't care for the story in my games' and 'he's philosophising'?

The point of his that failed the most was that Bioshock was the paragon example of a good story. He earlier talked about how writers 'dump' text on the player to get the first act out of the way and mentioned some RTS that gave your heroes background without even using text (oh my!), implying that text=bad. He then lauds Bioshock for... dumping text and audio files on the player in chunks during act 2. Um, right...

He didn't. He said it was a convenient way to get straight to the action because games are interactive mediums, and are thus focused on act-2 like events.
No, he doesn't say 'convenient' way, he says 'cheap' way, calls it a 'problem', then brushes off amnesia stories as 'lazy', all within a couple of sentences.
He didn't do either. He pointed out that it's the most COMMON and most easily understood (and, one can assume by corollary, least difficult to **** up).
'A cheap way to get away without ever having to have a first act.' Why is it a 'problem' that F:NV 'doesn't concern itself with its theoretical first act'? Tell us why three act structure should be followed, if it should be. If it shouldn't necessarily be followed, then why should it be a problem, or seen as 'cheap', when games do not adhere to hackneyed storytelling principles from Grade 10 English?
me said:
Amnesia and In medias Res...
I don't think he mentioned that using it was by default laziness. I'm pretty sure he said 'writers have GOTTEN lazy because it's so easy to just ignore act 1 now.'
They've gotten lazy but what they are doing is not laziness? I don't understand the distinction. He does write off amnesia stories as laziness, that's the point of the vid. He might not be so unquestioningly critical of In Medias Res across the board, but that appears to be because Bioshock bucked the trend in his opinion - except it really didn't as you said yourself.
And it's not unsupported--In Medias Res really is used in almost every game.
That's not what I meant he should support. He should support the implication that In Medias Res is done 'cheaply' to get people more quickly into the action, when it also clearly works as a 'blank slate' device in non-linear games.
GF is not a blank slate character because absolutely nothing you do affects his story. You have to make it up outside of the actual game for yourself (like Krynn was mentioning with M&B).
I said he was a hybrid. GF is clearly as much a blank slate as the F:NV courier because he has no dialogue or emotional response to anything, requiring the player to project their own. Players are required to project in a similar way when they make character-defining choices in games like F:NV. EC says this combination is bad, doesn't say why.
As for HL2's storytelling, I could drag up the old thread if you really, really want to know why it was bad.
I know why it was good; I'll dig up the thread if I really, really want to know why some people thought it was bad that they weren't spoonfed.
Don't know what you're going on about. I don't remember any philosophical snobbery. Point it out, please?
Point out something that I didn't accuse him of? I said I respected the philosophising. I don't respect empty arguments based on arbitrary value judgements like he's making in this storytelling vid.

No, he doesn't say 'convenient' way, he says 'cheap' way, calls it a 'problem', then brushes off amnesia stories as 'lazy', all within a couple of sentences.
I just watched the entire vid again. He never once uses the word 'problem.' He never says the word 'lazy.' I don't know when these 'couple of sentences' occur where he says all these things. Here's what he says about amnesia:

Amnesia serves a very distinct, if stupid, narrative purpose.
So, why amnesia? Well, because it's a cheap way to get away without ever having to have a first act. Or, to simply deliver the first act as an expository dump at some random point in the game.
I was the one who said it was lazy--and yes, it's lazy. It's lazy when you can use the same extremely jarring plot point because it conveniently puts aside the question of the first act IN EVERY GAME IT'S USED. It's flat-out avoidance by the writers: don't worry about the story for now, just shoot the bad guys and eventually, maybe 6 hours from now we'll piece together something resembling a plot when it doesn't matter anymore.

'A cheap way to get away without ever having to have a first act.' Why is it a 'problem' that F:NV 'doesn't concern itself with its theoretical first act'? Tell us why three act structure should be followed, if it should be.
He directly addresses this too.

The problem is that game developers often forget to go back and ever give us an act 1. Most games simply start in act 2, spend 90% of the time there, and then end with a quick, rushed act 3. This structure tends to leave us with characters we can't associate with a story we dont care that much about.

That's his argument: That without act 1, you simply won't care as much about your character or the story. You want to make a counter argument? Argue this: if the entire argument in favour of a 3 act structure hinges on the assumption that act 1 makes us empathise with the character, it can be disproven if you prove that games can be just as engaging without a first act.

If it shouldn't necessarily be followed, then why should it be a problem, or seen as 'cheap', when games do not adhere to hackneyed storytelling principles from Grade 10 English?

'Hackneyed,' eh? Name me a good movie that didn't follow it. Or a famous book. Pretty much every major piece of fiction more or less follows this structure, whether it was in order or not, intentional or not. You're seriously questioning the very basis of how to write stories? You want to defend yourself on that position?

I'm all for making the argument that games don't HAVE to have stories. In fact, I think that would make most games much better. But to claim that devs can take only pieces of the fundamental story structure, apply them to games, and have the structure still work flawlessly is delusional.

They've gotten lazy but what they are doing is not laziness? I don't understand the distinction.
Using amnesia a few times to good effect was fine. Using it as often as it has been, at the cost of good story, is laziness.

He should support the implication that In Medias Res is done 'cheaply' to get people more quickly into the action, when it also clearly works as a 'blank slate' device in non-linear games.
In medias res and tabula rasa characterisation are completely independent of each other.

GF is clearly as much a blank slate as the F:NV courier because he has no dialogue or emotional response to anything, requiring the player to project their own. Players are required to project in a similar way when they make character-defining choices in games like F:NV.
You're comparing an RPG, where your personality choices and characterisation actually affect the story, to a linear FPS, where you have zero choice or influence on your character or the story. Um, wat?

Notice how when he's talking about your character backstory in F:NV he talks about adding perks to fix its lack? Not text, not backstory, perks. That's because the story should affect gameplay: it's part roleplay, part game. They're called role playing games because when you roleplay the game will change. My pretending Gordon is an invisible transvestite with downs has no affect on whether the humans defeat the combine, whether Alyx lives or dies, or whether I work for the Gman. Valve has decided that for us. I can't believe I have to make this distinction.

End of this. If you want to quibble, just PM me.

Back