2 New Demoman Weapons Revealed - Close Combat Kit

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]An update to the demoman war page has been added introducing two new demoman weapons:
  • The Eyelander - A sword (melee slot) which drops the demoman hp but with every kill increases his health and speed (Up to 4 times). No crits.[br]
  • The Chargin' Targe - A shield (secondary slot) which provides +50% fire damage resistance and +65% blast damage resistance. Alt-fire allows you to charge enemies with the shield up (L4D2 charger style), with short distance charges meaning your melee weapon will be able to mini-crit, long charge will provide a full crit.
Also a new demoman comic has been added showing the story of the demoman receiving his new weapons as well as a clue to the 3rd unlock named Sco???? Res???? . Finally, kill count update: Soldiers still in the lead by 220,000 kills.

A possessed sword what increases me speed and life with each kill? Valve's making me betray my soldier nature. Demoman's me least played class, I think...now it's gonna jump up just beneath soldier. Maybe even more than battle medic.

Looks awesome :D This is two of the weapons the demo will get regardless of who wins, yes? I want to see the soldier's stuff :D

Would also like to see other class updates after the engineer is done too, I want to aww their back stories and such, also some cool weapons like this for them.

It feels like the idea was to turn the sticky-jump-then-bottle into a more effective tactic with a charge-then-sword. Even so its a pretty big departure from standard Demo gameplay, I'll have to see/try it in-game before judging.

Hands... twitching... in anticipation.... aaaaarrrrghhhhhhhh...

Forget the shield, I MUST stickyjump with the sword. THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXBtORI7pE

Let's do it lads! Oh they're gonna have to glue you back together...IN HELL! :naughty:

Anyways I think they are trying to opt for a more fighting TF2 than a nade spamming fest. Also the demoman needed a girlfriend or wife, not mom.

I'm beginning to think that the soldier will receive a bugle which once blown will give allies mini crits for a small time

I'm beginning to think that the soldier will receive a bugle which once blown will give allies mini crits for a small time

I was thinking something in the same vein...but I don't think minicrits will be the effect in order to not compete with the kritzkrieg(which already sees enough competition from the regular ubercharge as it is)...perhaps something like increased speed for everyone nearby and possible increase in capture rate(excluding scouts)...I think that could find a nice niche in game.

I've been trying to kill as many Soldiers as I can......gaahhh they are so far ahead!

You obviously haven't played as a huscarl in PVKII. Shield charge is top tier.

Oh god..

And then I realized I will never play enough to get either.

Hell, I just barely got a Dead ringer while killing demomen a few days ago.

Targe looks like it could be the closeup demoman weapon of choice for those who just like to sit back and lob pill bombs.

I like.

You and I, we're going to go at it to see which is better.

I mean on TF2

I bet Demo's primary unlock will be a sticky launcher with proximity bombs.

Hey, look, I just smashed you into my pile of bombs. Too bad you don't have some explosive resistance.

So are those the Demoman's foster parents? His backstory says he accidentally blew his parents up while trying to kill the Loch Ness monster.

Crazy theroy: The Demo's parents as seen the comic are actually American and bloody crazy so they decided to raise their foster son as Scotish so that he would be the most bloodthirsty Demoman ever.

The sticky launcher, skillfully used (i.e., not the way I do it), is what makes people say the demo is overpowered. I find it hard to imagine the more skilled players considering the targe an even trade. What I do expect to see in the next few weeks is a bunch of "WM2" demo noobs. Still, I suppose I shouldn't judge until I see it in action.

I wonder if the eyelanders speed boost will stack with the charge speed. I kinda hope not. If the charge speed is already faster than a scout that could get pretty ridiculous.

So what's the primary unlock going to be? How about stun grenades? You stun/slow everyone, then charge around lopping off heads.

Wow, expected some negativity here. I for one, am incredibly skeptical.

I blame the 'tards for playing Demo and getting killed by soldiers. It's easy to be far more effective as a demo but they're obviously coming out in droves to die to rockets.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were servers (much like achievement servers) where people are just killing demomen. I wouldn't know though because I haven't been helping much.

My backpack is basically full (except for one slot), so is it possible for me to craft these new weapons so I can get more space for my backpack AND create these items without unlocking achievements? I'd expect it be sort of confusing, seeing as though I have absolutely NO idea on how this crafting system works. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Also, after some time of thinking, I made the assumption that the third weapon for the Demoman could be called the Scott's Resilience, which could be a type of whiskey that can temporarily boost the Demoman's health if he is wounded. It would be similar to the pills in Left 4 Dead.

Well the original bio just may no longer be considered canon.

God damn, I'm in a forum using the word "canon" when talking about a versus-only video game.

I'm not sure if it's been said anywhere, but I think that the soldier will get something that will prevent fall damage (from rocket jumps) and also possibly something to do with fighting with his bare hands.

Just something that stood out to me from the comics.

I blame the 'tards for playing Demo and getting killed by soldiers. It's easy to be far more effective as a demo but they're obviously coming out in droves to die to rockets.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were servers (much like achievement servers) where people are just killing demomen. I wouldn't know though because I haven't been helping much.

People tell me they sit in Achievement Maps with playerless spawned classes all day and just kill demomen, so ****ing lame.

You are insinuating I have the patience to grind for achievements.

I don't know about you, but the last set of achievements seem to have almost unlocked themselves. (I mean, Headshot a Demoman will come across, farming or not.)

I figured Valve were making the achievements the kind of achievements you get just from playing the game itself - It'd go along with the random weapon finds and whatnot.

So the Soldier has an "expert" level rocket launcher. Pretty good. Is that the only update for today?

I hope he gets those unlocks regardless, otherwise sorry solider! but I NEED to try those weapons! Its so ridiculous I love it!

Back