A Photo A Day Thread

Locust1.jpg

Locust2.jpg

Took some pictures with my camera phone of a Locust. That thing is very creepy looking and massive. The one closest to the bottom is the dead shell it crawled out of.

I did an up close video of it too, loading that youtube

My dad and I (with me driving) drove through a swarm of Locusts on the road between Johannesburg and Cape Town on a holiday (11 hour drive, ***k me.)

The wing mirror smacked the window, the wiper blades were getting pushed around, I slammed on the brakes as we cleared and checked the front.

Luckily nothing was damaged, few dead bugs was all. It sounded like stones being poured onto the car as we went through at a..ahem..questionable speed (our AVERAGE speed over the trip according to the computer was 129mp/h. we were ***king moving).

yeah they don't look nice at all but I'm watching youtube videos of them and people pick them up and feed them to their dogs and everything.

Here are a bunch from the last few sets of photos:

dsc0289s.jpg

dsc0277i.jpg

dsc0598v.jpg

dsc0359f.jpg

dsc0373s.jpg

Nice ^^

Shame the background of the fire shot is a little blury :( the little embers wizzing along look great tho!

Really loving this new 70-200, the colours are so vibrant!

2qxbama.jpg

I came across this horror of a sweet potato in our utility room which had clearly been left for some months. Looks like something out of Alien.

4843151793_2c910e79b1_b.jpg

[Edit] Shot is blurry here compared to the original size in Flickr.

Why so grey? I would have pushed the high values up a bit. The nice thing about B&W is that you don't get artifacts when highlights are overblown.

Comments?
testl.jpg

I thought I had pushed the contrast up a lot more, my monitor at home seems to be a lot darker / duller then it should be even when set on full bright. Its a complete pain in the ass as its hard to judge what photos really look like until I'm at work.

I'll try pushing the contrast up a bit more to see what happens :)

Not the contrast just the highlights. Take a look at your histogram in the curves option. It gives you the distribution of value in your image. The top 15% or so of values is mostly unused.

The water scape is cool, it has tons of depth to it.

Thanks. I like doing sea views. I am also particularly fond of this one:

Scohl4.jpg

Been to Scotland for the weekend btw, hence the pics.

33ymceg.jpg

pretty bad quality but it was off my cellphone.

Just on a trip visiting my parents in Ringwood which is just outside of the newforest in the south of the UK. It's right out in the sticks and compleatly pitch black outside and decided it would be worth taking a few shots of the stars.

I threw on the 10-22 wide angle and set the exposure to 30 seconds and here be the results. Was hoping they would be a little clearer but i guess the insain distance and sparkle of stars makes them a little blury its crazy seeing all the different colours and sizes of star.

2rrmds8.jpg

Been having a go doing some HDR shots, really interesting stuff. Worth having a go if your camera can shoot it :)

17d85z.jpg

2irxawy.jpg

Pretty big!

4271x2847
and
2847x4271

Do you want the big ones?

A few shots from goodwood revival - Classic car show with lots of racing. Might post a few more if there are any other goodens

5a6hu.jpg

1zebb4y.jpg

15dkwzq.jpg

Also my cat Ozzy hanging out in the forest!

msd2cy.jpg

*sighs* Why cant cars these days look like those old Jags and Cobras.

Aye it sucks man, they where so stunning, you should of heart the noise as they all went round that first bend! I pretty much shit my pants!

Bunch of hrd photos from Canterbury Cathedral, the church managed to do one good thing... make beautiful buildings.

qx6tqx.jpg

25p01ud.jpg

f07r5v.jpg

2uihw5e.jpg

xp0i8x.jpg

331m878.jpg

Wow that's amazing Stormy, nice shots...

That 3rd one gave me vertigo.

Wide angle lenses ftw.

From my trip to Ireland:

Blarney Castle

Blackrock Castle at night

used long exposure on this one..
took those with my Nikon D40x

and some few pictures from this years Roskilde Festival:

opening of the gates

^^ Jenger pic is cool, nice action shot!

Big bike show down brighton sea front yesterday and there where a few old american muscle cars! Was loving this truck!

34si155.jpg

I have a high res version of this if anyone wants it:

purple_flower_corfu.jpg

Shaker, I remember you posting a picture of yourself in a cockpit, I think a few years ago. Do you work in aviation, or was it your father (I think I recall something like that)?

Nice dof Escape. :)

Dface1024.jpg

Shaker, I remember you posting a picture of yourself in a cockpit, I think a few years ago. Do you work in aviation, or was it your father (I think I recall something like that)?

My dad restores old airplanes as a hobby. :)

Back