A Problem with Lost Coast

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I've recently bought the Orange Box on Steam, and it's great. There are, however, a couple of problems.
The first is minor: all of the games crash when the Valve logo starts to disappear (this is easily remedied by hitting the esc key while the logo is visible, so it's only a minor inconvenience).
The second is a bit more serious.
Whenever I try to run Half-Life 2: The Lost Coast the screen turns black and my cursor tells me that it's waiting. A quick ctrl+alt+del shows me that the program isn't responding, so there's definitely a problem. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game to no avail.

Here's my specs, if they're any help.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/02/09 10:22:21 Ver: 5.11
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5888MB RAM
Page File: 1734MB used, 10037MB available

My Graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 9100 with 512 MB RAM.

Let me know if that's too much or too little information, and thank you for any help you can give.

I don't know what's wrong, I've run Lost Coast (even on high settings) with a much worse PC than that. My guess is it could be something to do with your operating system. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode or as an administrator?

Also make sure all your drivers are up to date, especially your graphics card drivers.

Well, none of that worked, but I'm not sure if I'm using compatibility mode right.
Thank you, nonetheless :).

Well when you run something in compatibility mode you can choose which version of windows it is currently set to. Try setting it to Windows XP and, if possible, 32-bit.

Have you installed your video card drivers from your motherboard's website? As your graphics are integrated, the official Nvidia drivers might not work.

Back