A Scout's Tale - A Team Fortress 2

eini8x.jpg

Calm down, buddy. Someone didn't enjoy your comic. Take a deep breath, I know this might be hard for you to digest, but some people out there DO have taste in their humor. I know, shocking. How dare someone not like your webcomic?
Holy shit these comics are bad. You should feel bad for posting them, Blue Wolf, although we all know your posting standard so no chance there. But the rest of you, if you're reading them, and some of you in this thread are not only reading them but are enjoying them and are encouraging people to read past the first one, you're horrible people.
Yeah...slight difference in difference in taste / opinion and just being an outright 'orrible git. I'm sure the creator has fans but he didn't get massive amounts of praise from the first page meaning you needed to balance the encouragement out. I'm glad you could be here to assist that process.

It's OK though Darkside, I understand you've gotta keep that internet persona thing up, you keep dancing on the hot coals for us like a good lad.

Thank you for understanding me and the service I provide.

Also here's the rub...this is my personality in real life too. So did I carry my persona onto the internet, or did my internet persona manifest in real life?

You know, any thread that involves Darkside ranting and Lefty spouting hilarious posts is a good thread to me.

I almost laughed at that last panel.

You know, any thread that involves Darkside ranting and Lefty spouting hilarious posts is a good thread to me.

aw I didn't know I was hilarious :D

These comics are awesome! (I just read all of them so far)

Nope, still not funny. Though some of the panels were almost half-decently posed this time.

On the topic of the comic... i can relate to something like that, shooting a Heavy with 8 rockets before he'd just ****ing die... On the topic of the argument, i'm going to have to take Darkside's side on this. Now excuse me while i back away slowly before i get sucked into this damn thing like i always do, despite most of the time never actually giving a shit.

This is a pretty controversial thread; of course, it's definitely not the first one on this forum. Anyways, I've seen your TF2 webcomics, but I haven't formed a solid opinion just yet, Junkie. I'd have to see more of your work to actually judge and/or criticize your comic (well, I don't really know much about this posing business, heh heh). All I can say is good luck with your work!

It was a good read, but not exceptionally funny/good.

I didn't. It still wasn't funny. Which is usually my problem with most people's gmod-comics, since they're relatively easy to make.

I said "glad you enjoyed it" because you seemed to like it more than the others because it has "almost half-decent posing"

By the way, humor is subjective. Some people will find my comic funny, and other won't. Your opinion does not overshadow everybody else's.

I said "glad you enjoyed it" because you seemed to like it more than the others because it has "almost half-decent posing"

Yes but it also wasn't funny, which is worse than badly posed.

Also, humour is subjective? Really? Wow, I had no idea.

By the way, humor is subjective. Some people will find my comic funny, and other won't. Your opinion does not overshadow everybody else's.
He didn't say his opinion overshadowed anyone else's. You did. You, so far, are yet another member who seems to think he/she can objectively prove their opinions.

In the future, just refer any complaints you may have against me to my lawyer here, Mr Stigmata.

I just realized that junkie is arguing with someone who actually has made a good comic and isn't bragging about it. That person being AJ. It's too bad that that link is broken. It was a good comic.

Awww... Know what, just for you guys- I fixed the links in my signature. I still update from time to time, though I am no longer on the front page of PHWonline, primarily because... well it doesn't exist anymore, but I post 'em all on the boards, which are alive and well, or in the thread in the second link in my sig.

I just realized that junkie is arguing with someone who actually has made a good comic and isn't bragging about it. That person being AJ. It's too bad that that link is broken. It was a good comic.

When have I once bragged about my comic?

I never said it was any masterpiece. But people like them, so I will continue to make them.

Junkie, why don't you finish it first and post the whole thing then? It was very disappointing to hit the last page just after I got in the story.

I knew deep down that an argument would break out in this thread.

I am appeased.

Somehow, when I saw Darkside's first rant on the first page, I knew how the rest of the thread was going to go.

The comics are decent at best, but it's not like I'm gonna stop you from making more.

Umm... layout.

That's my tip for improving. You really need to work on layout. I won't pretend to know the first bit about laying out panels for comic-strips, but what I can tell is that you yourself have a similar level of knowledge. I.e. little if any. Fine, the layout isn't overly complex, because a complex layout is hard to pull-off. But you've made a very elementary mistake in laying out many of these panels, and I'm surprised no-one has said anything.

There's lots of talk about the posing being bad, but that's irrelevant when you're resizing the images without maintaining their original aspect. You need to crop, not resize. I feel drunk when looking from frame to frame. Heads and bodies balloon outwards, then become stick thin for no reason. You need to work out your layout before you pose your scenes, not pose your scenes and butcher them to fit into the layout.

Umm... layout.

That's my tip for improving. You really need to work on layout. I won't pretend to know the first bit about laying out panels for comic-strips, but what I can tell is that you yourself have a similar level of knowledge. I.e. little if any. Fine, the layout isn't overly complex, because a complex layout is hard to pull-off. But you've made a very elementary mistake in laying out many of these panels, and I'm surprised no-one has said anything.

There's lots of talk about the posing being bad, but that's irrelevant when you're resizing the images without maintaining their original aspect. You need to crop, not resize. I feel drunk when looking from frame to frame. Heads and bodies balloon outwards, then become stick thin for no reason. You need to work out your layout before you pose your scenes, not pose your scenes and butcher them to fit into the layout.

I would like to ask, are you referring to the layout I just used in my newest comic? Because in the older layout, every panel was the same size.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

I would like to ask, are you referring to the layout I just used in my newest comic? Because in the older layout, every panel was the same size.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.
The aspect problem is more noticeable in the latest one because you're using different frame shapes and sizes (hence the constantly changing proportions of the character models), but as far as I can tell, it's been in since the beginning. Perhaps it's the high number of scout model shots (he's a strangely proportioned model after all), but he looks too squished.

edit: also, in the latest one I think you've got the conventional flow wrong. Where you have two smaller frames in one column next to a single larger frame, the action you're intending goes from the top of the left column, to the larger image (right column), to the bottom of the left column. The standard in western comics AFAIK is to arrange it so that you read down the left-hand columns, then the right.

What I mean is, I read frames 5, 6 and 7 and see the demoman go from standing ('Ah, false alarm') to passed-out to looking at the beer bottle ('Ah well, no harm dun'), when clearly the frame where he passes out is supposed to be the later of the three frames. Besides, the most important event of the three frames is surely the demoman passed out anyway, so I would have thought that should be in the larger, right-hand frame.

Stupid question, but do you actually read comic-books, or just webcomics? 99% of the time, comic books adhere to a set of established flow conventions but have generally more inspiring ways of arranging their images.

The aspect problem is more noticeable in the latest one because you're using different frame shapes and sizes (hence the constantly changing proportions of the character models), but as far as I can tell, it's been in since the beginning. Perhaps it's the high number of scout model shots (he's a strangely proportioned model after all), but he looks too squished.

edit: also, in the latest one I think you've got the conventional flow wrong. Where you have two smaller frames in one column next to a single larger frame, the action you're intending goes from the top of the left column, to the larger image (right column), to the bottom of the left column. The standard in western comics AFAIK is to arrange it so that you read down the left-hand columns, then the right.

What I mean is, I read frames 5, 6 and 7 and see the demoman go from standing ('Ah, false alarm') to passed-out to looking at the beer bottle ('Ah well, no harm dun'), when clearly the frame where he passes out is supposed to be the later of the three frames. Besides, the most important event of the three frames is surely the demoman passed out anyway, so I would have thought that should be in the larger, right-hand frame.

Stupid question, but do you actually read comic-books, or just webcomics? 99% of the time, comic books adhere to a set of established flow conventions but have generally more inspiring ways of arranging their images.

Thanks again for the CC. By the way, I do crop all of the large and small boxes, but I find it hard to make a long panel without distorting the image at least slightly. And to the last question, no, I don't read any comics. I've read a few webcomics, but not a lot.

Yeah, layout and editing is starting to look a lot better now. Simpler. You've improved. They're still dull as gravel though.

Sniper's knees are a bit wobbly on the 5th panel though.

>:3

Also there's no shadow for the spy's rope.

Laters

Hay well done for having the commitment to actually make them, thats heaps further than I've ever gotten with something. Apart from the stretched images I don't mind the awkward appearance of the characters makes it a bit funnier.

They made me smile, if your making them for your friends you should get them in on some script writing too, might get some good jokes out of them.

Keep it up, everything gets better with practice

Sniper's knees are a bit wobbly on the 5th panel though.

>:3

Also there's no shadow for the spy's rope.

Laters

The rope effect is a particle, so the game doesn't render a shadow for it. It's a big pain in the ass posing.

Back