Adrian Shepherd return?

Reaction score
Here's my email from Gabe :)
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:30 PM

To: Gabe Newell
Subject: Hi

Hello Mr. Newell,

A few people on some forums say that there will be no opposing force 2, is this ture?

I know many modder's have tryed to bring Shephard back, Inc'ing my self (Mine was called opposing shephard) but it fail becasue i made a few mistake here and there which i would go into for the sake for your boredom :p

I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing that and this, i'm sure it get's down right anoying.

I've played the lost coast, good map i have to say, designed very well, i have to ask was the reason the add on took to so long was it to do with the code and HDR etc, i was kinda sad becasue it was soo short but what can you do, it was free from you guy :) you get what you pay for :p jk

Well as what i was saying before Shephard was my fav from the lot, i enjoy Opposing Force alot more than HL1 sorry to say, but then again, gearbox preyed on what the early HL1 fan wanted during those first few years :(

Well what i'm trying to say is will we see him again?

PS: how many daft's of the HL2 story was there before you guys had it right?

anyway thank you for your time Mr. Newell :)

piece out!

-[/my name] (aka Hot564231, aka The Mad Spammer, aka the anoying Person on this email :p)
he replyed

Code:
I'm sure we'll get back to him one of these days.

:) i have a warn feeling in my pants now :) it's called love
[snapback]107163[/snapback]​

hmmm Adrian shepherd return to the Half-life universe? I hope so

NOOOOOOOOO.

Shephard for the lose. I don't see any point in brining him back, at all. Why? What need? What for? He achieved nothing. Apologies, but I tire greatly of this Shephard love.

ah go on Samon - i know you'd love some hardcore shephard lovin' ;)

I don't see any point in brining him back, at all. Why? What need? What for? He achieved nothing.
by the same argument - what did Gordon achieve - a phyrric victory that destroyed earth
Shephard he prevented the Race X (Combine? will we ever know?) invasion - props for that

Plus Opposing Force was far more combat orientated than exploration orientated halflife - yin and yang

john3571000 said:
ah go on Samon - i know you'd love some hardcore shephard lovin' ;)

by the same argument - what did Gordon achieve - a phyrric victory that destroyed earth
Shephard he prevented the Race X (Combine? will we ever know?) invasion - props for that

Plus Opposing Force was far more combat orientated than exploration orientated halflife - yin and yang

Race X aren't Combine, and will not be carried on in future HL episodes - from the mouth of Marc Laidlaw. Shephard went to great lengths to destroy the Race X fat thing (also known as, worst boss in FPS gaming ever) when it would have been obliterated by the nuke anyway.

I loved Opposing Force, it wasn't better than HL (though it did benefit from being an expansion, where everything shifted nicely into place, wherein HL some bits could drag), but some bits certainly were truly superb. The final warehouse battles for instance, and some of the earlier levels were excellent...and they put more Ichthyosaurs in, thats always a winner. But some parts were just soo downright generic, and Gearbox totally fuxed up on the plot.

Shepard might return?

The unholy warrior will return to our divine game, as foretold in the prophecy! His ungodly spanner will cover the world in darkness for a thousand years, seas will boil! Earth will tremble! Night will be as day and time as we know it will cease! These are the end of times! Repent! Repent!

I think that Valve could make Shepard work.

Imagine, Barney and Shepard mouth of. Ahhhh.

And then he whould die.

I have now found a way to taunt Samon forever, check my sig...anyway, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if Shephard came back. I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of his story a few years down the road. And also, if Valve continues Shepard's story, LaidLaw will be penning the script, and I'm sure it will turn out decent. Don't forget, Valve wouldn't release anything that was bad, or didn't fit into the plot somehow. They have a full-time writer to press out the wrinkles.

Oh i whouldnt keep that sig... Might get banned :O

Oh man if Shepherd came back, it'd be gold.

But then ask yourselves, why do we argue over character's when the only thing we know about them is what they wear on their hands.

Rizzo89 said:
Oh i whouldnt keep that sig... Might get banned :O

I'll take my chances. And anyway, if I incurred Samon's wrath he would just send his assassins after me. Wait, thats ridic-

Hehe true. But then again... We did see/played him throw the curse of Black mesa. That counts for something.

I never finished Opposing force, my old computer broke down and now my CD key is missing :( That happens.

Max35 said:
I have now found a way to taunt Samon forever, check my sig....

Haha, and I thought Eejits sig was enough to flatten me into ridicule. :LOL:

well he havent even answerd mine... :(
So you should consider yourself lucky.
Although my emails are probably the same as he gets every day.

Gabes said the right thing. He may come back. He may not. Until Valve has seen his potential and whether actually the general population of the HL fans want him back, then it's safe to say he may come back.

It's nice to see Valve not giving us a definate "No!" like SOME people on these boards...

----Thought Police----

I think many aspects of HL2 were designed for the nostalgia they would generate in an old player who was a veteran of the original. Thus, [part of] the reason they brought back Freeman. Shephard I think ought to just be brought back, in some form, as closure to his storyline. I've always thought that week while Gordon was "Slow-teleporting" was a good place. Then again careful consideration and thought needs to be givin to his story to make it work in the HL2 world. Gordon had old allies and friends to encounter, but everyone Shephard new (and that the player new) died in Black Mesa, so he'd be on his own.

Shephard need not come back. He has no purpose; there is no longer a military to fight for.

If he had to come back, he should just be another character for Gordon to interact with. "Hey, remember me? I was one of the guys sent in to kill you and you co-workers! Wait..."

We definitely should not play as him, and he definitely should have nothing to do with the military, seeing as they no longer exist.

But it would be just be so much better if he weren't there at all!:D

i sorta feel like we should let valve do what they do. I like what they have done, and i want them to do what they want.

Samon said:
NOOOOOOOOO.

Shephard for the lose. I don't see any point in brining him back, at all. Why? What need? What for? He achieved nothing. Apologies, but I tire greatly of this Shephard love.

He wears revolutionary pink pants.

I see no reason not to like him.

What purpose did Barney serve?

The only way we will see him come back IMO is if the g-man sends him on a mission of CERTAIN DEATH!

Shepard serves no purpose. He (unlike Freeman) has no back-up in the HL2 world. There is no USMC any more, it's likly that all of what we would have called his "allies" are either dead or part of the Overwatch.

Also, he would be unable to recharge his PCV as it has had no one to modify it to operate with Combine power dispencer-thingys.

Think about it, a man in combat gear, a PCV and a gas mask drops into the HL2 world. He'd be dead before he hit the floor.

Also, it was my impression that Shepard was only put in stasis on the G-man's request and that if he did get used he would be Freeman's replacement. So, while Freeman is around he wont be coming back.

And he wouldn't work as an NPC. This is because for everyone of us who played Op4 there is a different Shepard. This means that whatever way they make him, he will be a disapointment to some of us. And, we cant see his face. This is becuase of the way Shepard's storyline panned out. He is the "faceless grunt", just another govenment goon who got left behind during the pull out. This, I feel is an intgral part of who Shepard is.

The again, if Freeman went rouge and the G-man needed him stopped an "Angel of Vengence" Shepard could be very cool. You're dropped into the world with an MP-5 in one hand and you're trusty wrech in the other and told to "Get Freeman". You can Avenge your Buddies who bought it during the BMI and all of your brother marines who suffered because of it during the portal storms, the 7 hour war and ultimatly, being turned into overwatch soldiers. Thats the only way I can see him working.

The only way we will see him come back IMO is if the g-man sends him on a mission of CERTAIN DEATH!

That works too...

Hmm..... This just might happen, although highly unlikely.
It's a possibility now that we now from Samon's news that the G-Man is losing control over Freeman.

If he fits the story and his return isn’t forced just because he is a popular character, it could work out. But except for Bob Marley’s idea and the 7-hour war idea I don’t see a reason for him to return.

xirow said:
If he fits the story and his return isn’t forced just because he is a popular character, it could work out. But except for Bob Marley’s I don’t see a reason for him to return.
by the same reasoning what was the point in Barney reappearing in some random east european city or even gordon coming back to fight a battle that had been lost a decade before?
it was done because it could be done and the same will happen if valve ever allow a Shephard project to come to fruition

john3571000 said:
by the same reasoning what was the point in Barney reappearing in some random east european city or even gordon coming back to fight a battle that had been lost a decade before?
it was done because it could be done and the same will happen if valve ever allow a Shephard project to come to fruition

Barney has always been on the same side as Eli and Kleiner. So he could have just easily teamed up with them after escaping Black Mesa. Barney is in City 17, because Eli and Kleiner are in City 17. I don’t know why they are in City 17. Probably because they think it’s a good place to lead the resistance or something. Gordon is there because the Gman wants him to be there. I agree it’s all pretty coincidental (but it doesn't bother me). Maybe Valve will give us a solid explanation some day :p

If also Shephard will return, it sounds a bit to coincidental to me. But like I said, if Valve finds a way to fit him into the story properly, it can be a good thing. Shephard is a cool character but a bit out of place in HL2

Adrian doesn't work as as a character. He has no face (literaly) and there is no chance anyone will have heard of him.

all these anti Shephard arguments suck
rimfire who cares - you the player are the hero ingame, imagine its your face
because Opposing Force was all about violence against far more dangerous enemies than Gordon faced, thats what Opfor 2 should focus on
tightly scripted intense violence and it would be an excellent opportunity to experience the 7 hour war
as i've theorised before it would be an excellent opportunity to explore why the Gman no longer works for his employers anymore

lso, he would be unable to recharge his PCV as it has had no one to modify it to operate with Combine power dispencer-thingys.

Think about it, a man in combat gear, a PCV and a gas mask drops into the HL2 world. He'd be dead before he hit the floor.

Yeah, becouse Gman sent in gordon with his HEV suit on right?
And its a full scale rebelion, He could be sent in there or before without much comosion.

The more i think about it, the more i think Shepard will retutn. Gman is losing control over Gordon. We'll see about that! So Gman sends Adrian!

I don’t think the Gman will send Adrian to kill Gordon. Freeman is to important to be killed. I even doubt the Gman will think it’s very realistic that Shephard is able to kill the 'almighty' Freeman.
And I doubt Shephard himself would want to kill Gordon. The Combine killed more of his buddies than Gordon did.

Letting Shephard fight in the 7 Hour War could be great. But this could mean Shephard (and not Freeman) was Gman’s first choice (unless the Gman already knew Shephard wouldn’t survive). Gordon is the hero in the Half-Life saga.

If Shephard did return, I rather think it would be from your own perception, not an NPC as some have suggested. I could be wrong, of course.

Max35 said:
If Shephard did return, I rather think it would be from your own perception, not an NPC as some have suggested. I could be wrong, of course.
Adrian as an NPC? How could you posibly get that to work?

Maybe Adrian brought the HEV suit to Kleiner.

EDIT: I have no idea if this works, but i read that if you bring down your console and type ''brightness 9999999999999'', after the credits, it will show you Shepard.
Could someone cheeck, i cant since i lost my cd key to opposing force.

I realize now what is so irritating about the Anti-Shephard people:

They have absolutely no immagination or creativity.

It's a good thing you people don't work for Valve, or any creative enterprise.

I, for one, hope Shephard returns some day, whether as the player or an NPC, or even just a name somewhere.

Langolier said:

I, for one, hope Shephard returns some day, whether as the player or an NPC, or even just a name somewhere.

Amen Brother

Langolier said:

Thank god Shephard lovers don't work for Valve, or at least most of them, they have next to no perception of how to implement him. "lol he wuz a bady in op4 so he shud work for teh combine lol. yer cuz tht makes sense lol!"
Yeah, ok.

Or we've Shephard fans who have next to no idea who Shephard was in the first place! "OPPRESSION HAS AN OLD ENEMY, AND HE'S BACK!"
Yes, because we all know Shephard fought oppression in Opposing force. No, oh wait, he was the oppressor! lololool

!

Back