Aliens : Colonial Marines

Gorgon

Reaction score
No mag scans :)

Publisher Sega today officially announced Aliens: Colonial Marines, the Gearbox Software-developed FPS title based on the popular movie series.

The squad-based shooter will support four-player cooperative play, and is set to hit stores within the year.

Featuring a story-driven single player campaign centering around a team of soldiers facing an alien assault, Aliens: Colonial Marines will attempt to recreate the look and feel of the original films while providing a tense FPS experience.

The game will also boast a four player co-op mode, with each player taking on a distinct role within the squad. Additional multiplayer modes will be announced at a later date.

Elements taken directly from the Aliens sequel will include pulse rifles, flamethrowers, and the Sulaco spaceship. A soundtrack described as "brooding" will also accompany the claustrophobic environments.

Weapons, skills, and equipment new to the Alien universe will also make an appearance, though none were specified.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be released on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC in late 2008.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51442

I hop this will be as scary as AVP.....:D

Sweet. I remember when they cancelled this, back when it was going to be on the ps2. Look at those graphics!

Aliens-_Colonial_Marines.jpg

This is going to be so, so, so badass. Four players exploring an abandoned facility with actual authentic Aliens equipment and art direction. What more needs to be said?

Without valve this would not have been possible
/fanboy

This is going to be so, so, so badass. Four players exploring an abandoned facility with actual authentic Aliens equipment and art direction. What more needs to be said?

Thats exactly what I was going to say.

-MRG

Co-op would be nice for this, will it have a HEAVY DUTY story/
otherwise it may be a scarier version of Halo.

Scans..
Boo..

I hope the game doesn't suck though. I've heard so many awesome premises for games, but once they hit, they hit rock bottom. :|

Featuring a story-driven single player campaign centering around a team of soldiers facing an alien assault, Aliens: Colonial Marines will attempt to recreate the look and feel of the original films while providing a tense FPS experience.

it's doom 3 + rainbow six with aliens instead of hellspawn/terrorists

would have prefered a little more choice in gameplay a la Aliens vs Predator instead of just another squad based corridor crawl wrapped in a licensed ip

MOTHER****ING YES!!!

I love Aliens with every fibre of my being.

it's doom 3 + rainbow six with aliens instead of hellspawn/terrorists

would have prefered a little more choice in gameplay a la Aliens vs Predator instead of just another squad based corridor crawl wrapped in a licensed ip

Nah, sack more AVP pish, Aliens marines take the cake.

Also: ''The Latest version will involve defending against an Alien assault as part of a plot penned by Battlestar Galactica writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle''

Cool.

How can this not be AVP3? They had authentic weapons/sounds found in the Alien and Predator movies (since Fox published the game) as well as some others. You even had to cut through some doors with a torch just like shown in the first screenshot above.

I'm down. It's frickin' Aliens man.

I COMPLETLY forgot about the AVP games - I thought Stern was talking about the movies and a game in the style of that. Excuse my ignorance. It's still a stupid time in the morning and I'm a woodwork/metal/plastic theory class /me slams head into desk repeatidly

Regardless, as tense as the AVP games were, I disliked the Predator elements. It kinda sucked the horror out of it if you ask me, but if this game can focus all the attention to the marines and the atmosphere of the film... awesome.

I can't wait for this, for those of you that didn't read TollBooth Willie's post, this game was originally a very hyped up PS2 title, it was later cancelled, I was looking forward to it for a long time and am PSYCHED that they've revived the project, and given it to EXPERIENCED developers!

And no this is not AVP3, if its anywhere close to the original concept it will only be Colonial Marines vs Aliens.:)

I hope that one member of the squad is tasked with using the motion tracker as opposed to everyone having one. That'll really make people work together. Going by the picture, I see one motion tracker, a pulse rifle, a CQB shotgun similar to Hick's and a guy with welding equipment. Perhaps thats all four classes there as a squad - one specific soldier to open doors and work with technology ala Hudson in Aliens, a soldier to monitor readings on the tracker, a regular grunt and then some sort of individual weapons handler.

Smart Gun plz. :D

_hudsonaliens.jpg

F*cking A
In fact I was watching the movie last night, nice to hear this exciting news. I also like the fact that they are going for the universe's authentic look.

I'll be enjoying the Scanner.

"6 meters, 5 meters, 4 meters..."
"Thats impossible, that's in the room."

My first thought about that screenshot was "Wait, why are they illustrating the article with a movie screencap" only to realize there was not a scene like this in the movie.

**** YEAH, ALIEN!

The sound of the Smart Gun firing is so sexy. I loved that thing in AVP2.

The sound of the pulse rifle firing is sexy, let alone the Smart Gun.

**** yes, this is going to be awesome. Left 4 Dead with 3 friends is gonna be a blast, too, but shit... Aliens, man. Aliens.

Modern lighting techniques provide the realism and atmosphere of the movies, which is great

Sounds awesome. Gearbox haven't disappointed yet, I don't think they'll start now.

is that how most FPS feel like when playing on a gamepad? the movement is unbelievably horrible.

Naw, this is a very bad example.

I hope this game is as kickass as it should be - could be awesome.

is that how most FPS feel like when playing on a gamepad? the movement is unbelievably horrible.

Eh, no. That is a bad example.

Timesplitters 2 on Playstation 2. In the video, a casual player probably wouldn't know the difference if it's being played with a gamepad or m&k.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwsl2pvzIg

Besides Aliens: Colonial Marines were most likely unfinished when that was recorded.

EDIT: Warbie, damn you. :(

EDIT2: Btw, anyone know if that picture Gorgon posted is real or just some mockup?

Good God.

Looks like K2 got some competition on its ass.

I'm guessing (by looking at the scans) that it will be set during the time period of Aliens(2), ignoring the utter shiteness that was Aliens 3 and Resurrection.

Started to like it already. Would be great if they manage to get the get a few people from Turtle Rock to give them inspiration (cough*Left4Dead*cough)

What engine is it?

I'm guessing (by looking at the scans) that it will be set during the time period of Aliens(2), ignoring the utter shiteness that was Aliens 3 and Resurrection.

Started to like it already. Would be great if they manage to get the get a few people from Turtle Rock to give them inspiration (cough*Left4Dead*cough)

What engine is it?

What and turn it into a Quake bunny jumping shitfest?

AvP is the single best FPS ever. AvP2 is a close second.

Eh, no. That is a bad example.

Timesplitters 2 on Playstation 2. In the video, a casual player probably wouldn't know the difference if it's being played with a gamepad or m&k.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwsl2pvzIg

Besides Aliens: Colonial Marines were most likely unfinished when that was recorded.

EDIT: Warbie, damn you. :(

EDIT2: Btw, anyone know if that picture Gorgon posted is real or just some mockup?
**** YEAH TIMESPLITTERS!

Back