Anyone else want an unhappy ending?

As long as we're talking about Star Wars, I just hope episode 3 doesn't end with "Gordon, I am your father." :D

Sometimes I want games and movies end unhappily, but not Half-Life series.

Best example is saw series, they have awesome (unhappy) endings.

G-Man: "Dr. Freeman, I want to play a little game with you. You have spent most of your life umm... being all smart and shit, so... I couldn't think of an ironic trap and I just put a granade in your colon. Have fun..."

Gordon: "...?!?!?!"

G-Man: "Dr. Freeman, I want to play a little game with you. You have spent most of your life umm... being all smart and shit, so... I couldn't think of an ironic trap and I just put a grenade in your colon. Have fun..."

Gordon: "...?!?!?!"

Lmao, good one

i would love an unhappy ending
every one dies and gman comes to gordon and explains everything

I want an ending where G-man goes evil and starts flying with his briefcase and starts shooting million rockets from his mouth and before Gordon can do any damage to him he has to shoot the briefcase and when he would both it and the G-man would fall but in different locations and G-man would try to find it and if he would he would start flying again and Gordon would have to take the briefcase before he does so with the gravity gun and throw it into one of those Portal fire things. Then G-man would get really really angry and he would start summoning ghosts and the ghosts would look exactly like Gordon's previous enemies but you could see they are ghosts because they would be transparent and they would try to block Gordon's way so that he couldn't shoot G-man but when he would have finally got enough damage he would explode, but then before his last dying breath he would say something like "What have you done, now the other bad guy is coming!"

KEKKONEN PERKELE!

Bittersweet ending please. Sort of like Episode Two.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the G-Man will get Gordon back.

i think it will be like...Employers say gman no u cant and gordan says yes and gman says yes and thern they shoot them with the gravity gun and portal gun and win for the humans and then the nihilanth says noooooooooo u cant im back and he explodes killing all people who say yes.

for real...
i just want the ending to not leave on a cliffhanger and not leave ne more questions pleaseeeee..gordan better start talking too. and barney and gordan should drink beer together at the end

Some sort of grey ending for me. No black and white. Something that makes you feel wow when the credits roll. Not some sort of cliche ending.

Something that makes you feel wow when the credits roll. Not some sort of cliche ending.

definately this. stuff only feels cliche when its handled poorly (someone was talking about lame horror movie twists earlier) - but twists are amazing when you genuinely dont see them coming. however they do it i hope it gets handled well. even if its a massive cheese fest, if it makes you smile then its still a good ending.

doubt you are ever going to find out exactly what the gman is... sorry. they keep saying that this episode will wrap up the gordon story arc - without him, the only over-arching theme IS the gman. and wouldn't it be really cool for future half-life releases to see a new character experience the gman, with what we know already? it also leaves scope for a whole new universe to be explored in later releases - a different main character, a different set of baddies to shoot (thus giving the art department something new to do after, like, 10 years) , maybe a new time, dimension or even a new planet.

and as for gordon dying - it would be a bit shit if we've spent... oh, i don't know, about a year of our lives keeping the bastard alive to have him killed right at the end. Like, a million zombies, headcrabs and combine and he was fine, then he gets run over by a bus, woops that wont leave to a satisfactoy ending.

Grey. For sure.

Killing off the main characters is horribly clichéd, what would be far more interesting is to see the Combine threat subverted at a huge moral cost. Essentially an ending where the combine are finally defeated, but only by signing up to what may indeed be an even greater threat to humanity in the end.

I think it would be a great ending if alyx died, imagine just saving the world but having ur mate die on you during the final struggle, or even make the last level trying to save her but failing at that while saving humanity.

then they can make some kind of end sequence where everyone congratulates gordon but he is torn apart by the loss, so he doesn't reply to any of the people talking to him.

or make glados appear as some kind of end boss in ep 3, controlling all combine :p

meh my mind is just going crazy right now I guess :p (downloading the udk, hell yeah i'm gonna go crazy with this one)

Because I'd actually love to see humanities's struggle end in failure. I want the resistance to crumble, morale to be crushed, main characters to sacrifice themselves in vain, Gordon forever forced to live with the fact that he caused a global catastrophe and failed to contain it.

No. It's too bleak. Depressing, even. I'd just want to go out and shoot myself.

Half Life is a dystopian view of the near future. Although there are tragedies (Earth falling to the Combine, Gordon falling under the G-Man's control and Eli's death) the overall picture is one of guarded optimism - the Combine have been defeated, at least temporarily, and the G-Man's control of Gordon can be wrenched from him. Earth may be broken, but it's peoples' spirit is not and it will be rebuilt.

There is hope for the future. It's not going to be easy, it's going to be a long difficult path to tread, and there will be more tragedies to follow - but ultimately the Half-Life universe will get there.

Because I'd actually love to see humanities's struggle end in failure. I want the resistance to crumble, morale to be crushed, main characters to sacrifice themselves in vain, Gordon forever forced to live with the fact that he caused a global catastrophe and failed to contain it.

Episode Three must end this way. Any other ending, given how Valve has designed the Combine and portrayed them, would contradict the image that they have been given.

The measures taken by the resistance will prove futile and I doubt their nature was to outright prevent their return. The Combine have not been able to travel to Xen, so we can clearly rule out the tear between Xen and Earth as the Combine point of entry to our universe. I would judge that, by the way Mossman described their method of tunneling entanglement, there is no method of preventing their arrival and she likely would have mentioned it if there was such a method.

The satellite launch that occurred was probably, in my opinion, just to prevent the immediate Combine reinforcement by preventing them from sending a distress signal. It has bought us time but has not solved the issue at hand. Remember, this was a portal that the Combine were trying to open from our side, and not their own side, and they certainly did not have access to everything that they normally have to create a portal with.

If there's any true hope, it would lie with the technology that the Borealis could hold, and the Combine may have reached it before we did.

Eventually the offworld Combine forces located outside of our own universe will attempt to reestablish communication with City 17 and when they fail, they will realize something is wrong and investigate.

The discovery of useful technology on the Borealis or anything short of the G-Man or his associates pulling off a miracle that we never expected and never saw coming will fail to see the success of the resistance and the survival of Earth and the human race as it is presently.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another cliffhanger, and you were cruelly wrenched from all of the awesomeness by G-Man as he intended to do back in HL2. The Combine are crushed, but just as the Combine were lurking over the horizon in HL1 there will be a greater threat coming in HL3 - the creatures that enslaved the combine, perhaps?

Also, there will be an immensely long wait, but in 2016 or whatever HL3 will be the most awesome thing possible.

Either that, or G-Man tells `his employers` where to stick their job, stuffs `abiding by certain... restraints` and chooses to nuke all the combine and get the ales in with Gordon.

I don't care as long as Gordon ends it with a überawesome badass line...

Now to the more serious part:
The biggest and most important part of the combine is blewn to hell. But still there is a large ammount of combines left on earth, so there's still much to do, but it's still a great victory. (Now that I thin of it, that was pretty much te same as with the (omg, brainblock, can't find the word here... huge building you destroyed in hl2 and ep1... well, you know what I mean, hopefully))

(Now that I thin of it, that was pretty much te same as with the (omg, brainblock, can't find the word here... huge building you destroyed in hl2 and ep1... well, you know what I mean, hopefully))

Citadel, the word you are looking for is Citadel.

^
thanks, can't see how I couldn't remember it yesterday ^^

It's going to have a unhappy ending reguardless, obviously every Half-Life game/episode just shows every time Gordon Freeman tries his best, the situation always gets escalated. Unless they end it on change-of-pace compared to previous games, but I think Valve will stay with the current formula of each game/episode, a cliff hanger.

Only thing I care about the ending is finding out who the G-Man is and what are his motives and evrything about him.

Gordon nad Alyx's safety come in second.

Am expecting another cliff hanger.

Happy endings are sooo Hollywood. I want misery, death and despair.

Maybe something like the ending in 1984. Let's see the resistance crumble, and the love between Alyx and Gordon shattered by the oppressive might of the Combine.

On the other hand that wouldn't make room for a good continuation. Gordon shouldn't be crushed, or not totally at least. Alyx can be crushed. That could help fuel our wrath, in a continuation of desperation whose goal is vengeance.

I would love to see Half-life 2+episodes to end off somehow opened. Just like the original Half-life 2.

It left me somewhat finished feeling but somehow I was "shocked" of it and I kept thinking what would happen next. This was before I knew there would be more episodes to it.

It should not be ultimate story closure. Instead it should leave some crucial pieces of the story open and leave us the impression that stuff is happening all around even after the story ends for now (or then). In other words the struggle persists and there's a lot of work to be done, or even leave us to think if some main character died or not (radio or visual tv message showing Alyx or someone else being in trouble and "dying").

Something like this would be nice. Not this literally but something of same style.

I want a giant flaming column/piece of debris to just land, crush and kill Alyx at a seemingly random point in the game.

"Alright Gordon now we just need to--*UTTERLY CRUSHED, LEAVING BLOOD AND GIBS IN HER WAKE*"
"..."

You don't know whether the game is bugged or not, so you reload the previous save and it just happens again.

You just sit there in a pause, staring at her remains.

It would actually have an effect. (Albiet a bad one, but at least people will talk about it. ;D)

I want a giant flaming column/piece of debris to just land, crush and kill Alyx at a seemingly random point in the game.

Well, why not?

There's not going to be an episode 4, and HL3 is probably not going to take place in Sector 17, or in the Arctic. It may not even take place in the same time period. Unless Gordon drags Alyx along with him, Alyx will not be appearing in any more Half Life games. It would be an opportunity to drive home the fragility of the characters. Half Life 2 didn't have as much of that as the original Half Life.

Unless Gordon and Alyx are going to shack up (see below), I don't want to see either Alyx or City 17 again. Fighting with the same allies and against the same enemies over and over was OK for HL2, and the episodes (and I won't mind it for ep3), but let's get some variety in here.

Alyx and Gordon shacking up could be done well, in theory, so I won't categorically denounce it. I would, however, hope that HL3 would provide an intense marriage simulator, with Shenmue-like attention to things like taking out the garbage and foot massages (with built-in reflexology passion meter!). Having a potluck dinner scenario where Kleiner brings a three bean salad instead of his Watergate salad, and you have to negotiate a conversation where Kleiner refuses to stop apologizing for it would be worth the money right there.

From the events that transpired in Episode 2, I don't think Episode 3 will be the last time we see Alyx. Remember, both Gman and the Vortigaunts alluded to Gordon about how important Alyx will be him in his long term plans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYB1_nPMIc

I think this is Valve's way of saying "WE DON'T WANT TO KILL ALYX."

I think this is Valve's way of saying "WE DON'T WANT TO KILL ALYX."

Yup, I forgot about that. It's possible (or even probable, if they didn't have a plot for Half Life 3 at the time Ep. 2 came out) that whatever will happen in Ep 3 will be the event which both the Vortigaunts and Gman are looking toward, but you're more likely right.

I do hope that Alyx doesn't continue with Gordon for Half Life 3, unless they get some sort of relationship upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I love Alyx, but I'd be more interested in seeing how Gordon would work with someone else. Alyx could certainly stay on as a character in separate location, similar to Eli, or perhaps even be in an expansion like Opposing Force, but without a plot-related reason for them to stay together, it would just feel forced.

...I would like to see the G-man crumble...

But G-Man is awesome! If Vincent Price is still alive, I want him to play him in Episode 3. I'm not too sure why.

Besides, G-Man is arguably the most important character in Half-Life. Valve would need him for Episode 3.

But G-Man is awesome! If Vincent Price is still alive, I want him to play him in Episode 3. I'm not too sure why.

Uh... Vincent Price would be 98 years old today. Even if he were still alive, he would not be acting. Price is a weird voice, though. He enunciated very well and inflected his speech properly, but didn't ever seem to betray any emotion (I'm thinking especially of The Last Man on Earth here).

I'm not sure how any of that would have worked. The lack of emotion might not be an issue (though the awkward speech tends to enhance the subtle emotions Gman has), but the enunciation and inflection that are trademarks of Price wouldn't work for that.

I'm not sure why I'm responding here, except to try to crystallize what actually makes Gman's voice so interesting.

But this isn't even the last half life so.....NO

I would like to see another cliff hanger though. Like G-man teleporting you to Xen with Shepard dead or something

But this isn't even the last half life so.....NO

I would like to see another cliff hanger though. Like G-man teleporting you to Xen with Shepard dead or something

Since it's not the last one a cliffhanger is to be expected.

Ep3 ISNT THE LAST ONE???

Oh for..

Im gonna be ***king 50 by the time Ep4 comes along!

By then it should just be called 'Half Life 3'.

Thats pissed me off. What the HELL are you doing Valve?

Stop pissing around with L4D and get on with what we ACTUALLY want.

Unless L4D2 was a way of financing their continuing development of Ep3...like getting them started on it or something...

Seriously, its been so long now, if they havent created a new engine for Ep3 by now (like Source 2 or something), theyre going to be really lagging behind.

Source is great and all, but come on, its like...wait, 10 years old? ***t.

[Edit] Woops, its 5 years pushing 6 now. Havent even seen the source engine in motion in about a year.

Ep3 ISNT THE LAST ONE???

Oh for..

Im gonna be ***king 50 by the time Ep4 comes along!

By then it should just be called 'Half Life 3'.

Thats pissed me off. What the HELL are you doing Valve?

Stop pissing around with L4D and get on with what we ACTUALLY want.

Unless L4D2 was a way of financing their continuing development of Ep3...like getting them started on it or something...

Seriously, its been so long now, if they havent created a new engine for Ep3 by now (like Source 2 or something), theyre going to be really lagging behind.

Source is great and all, but come on, its like...wait, 10 years old? ***t.

[Edit] Woops, its 5 years pushing 6 now. Havent even seen the source engine in motion in about a year.

True. Stupid Valve

Back