Anyone Use Dvorak Keyboard?

Dvorak or QWERTY?

• I use Dvorak layout / Have not used QWERTY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kinslayer

Spy
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here uses a Dvorak keyboard layout instead of the more-common QWERTY. Also wondering, in comparison, whether you think it's better or worse than the QWERTY layout.

I found an existing thread but it's 4 years old and didn't really say much so...yeah.

I only became aware of their existence about a year ago, but I've mentioned them before. The The Dvorak is surely better, but probably not worth the frustrating transition for someone who has been using a QWERTY keyboard for years.

tried dvorak for a little while but never got used to it before I switched back.

Dvorak looks stupid, I can type with and am used to QWERTY anyways.

Only QWERTY, I know that I'd certainly be ****ified by anything else.

The argument is you can type faster with a dvorak? Is that right? Assuming you train like rocky.

argh, looks so confusing! D:

a2dvorak_hi.jpg

What's the average typing speeds for good typists on the dvorak?

I want a keyboard with all the letters in alphabetical order :/

What's the average typing speeds for good typists on the dvorak?

From http://www.theworldofstuff.com/dvorak/

Some of the world's fastest typists use Dvorak. A woman named Barbara Blackburn failed her high school typing course, which, of course, taught QWERTY. Then she found out about the Dvorak keyboard. Now, Blackburn can type at a rate of 170 WPM (words per minute) and once peaked at 212 WPM! Here's more information about the world's fastest typist and why she uses only Dvorak. Indeed, most typists who switch from QWERTY to Dvorak easily match their old speed, and usually surpass it. Some have seen a 200-300% increase in their speed. Your speed may not increase that much, but you will notice a striking difference in accuracy and comfort.

212. That's ****in' fast.

And maybe even more important:

Accuracy is another advantage of the Dvorak layout. Dvorak users tend to make fewer mistakes when typing. Using Dvorak, your accuracy will increase noticeably. A Dvorak typist typically makes half as many mistakes as a QWERTY typist. It has been shown in studies that while a QWERTY typist's accuracy stops increasing, a Dvorak's typist's accuracy will continue to improve. This means you can fix mistakes less and create, compose, and chat more.

Didn't give an average speed for all users, but it does say that it increases speed by 200-300% for some. I'd imagine that the average speed increase (from that number) is most likely in the 150-175% range.

I dunno, I might try learning for the hell of it. Have nothing better to do.

I'm plenty satisfied with my 110. I'll stick to it!

"Hulu is not available for your country"

Man.. Gaming would be ass on that thing.. Look where the WASD keys are!

QWERTY won for a reason.

It sounds funnier.

QWERTY...although I have to admit that the Dvorak looks like it makes more sense.

I have only typed with the QWERTY keyboard; I've never even heard of the Dvorak keyboard until now.

I'm a hunter-pecker who stares at the keys while I type. I doubt that tovarsich Dvorak could help me.

If the keyboard had been invented for the computer Dvorak (or a similar version) would for sure have been used. It's really ****ing stupid that we still use qwerty when you think about it, but I guess people got too used to it. I wouldn't mind changing if someone came up with an easy transition method.

Here I am who use Dvorak keyboard.

Dvorak looks stupid, I can type with and am used to QWERTY anyways.
No, rather Qwerty is more stupid. ^^
If Dvorak was stupid,
then Qwerty is dumbass bakayarou chikusho. ^0^ ^w^ wwww

I only became aware of their existence about a year ago, but I've mentioned them before. The The Dvorak is surely better, but probably not worth the frustrating transition for someone who has been using a QWERTY keyboard for years.

Not 'frustrating'. It's just the matter of habit..

I've been used Qwerty for almost 8~9 YEARS since I've had my own computer for the first time when I was just 10 years old.
But since last winter vacation, I meant, just few weeks before the graduate ceremony of the high school (in East Asia), I, who was Qwerty user for 9 years, finally decided to 'abandon' Qwerty and jump into learning Dvorak. It took 15~20 days to memorize the Dvorak layer.

It have been 9 month since I began to learn Dvorak keyboard.
Somehow I found Dvorak is much more convenicene and comfortable. (Maybe because of A,O,E,U,I (five vowels gathered into a line) under the left hand)
(When I used Qwerty, I felt as if somewhat invisible thing grabs my hand to slow down my typing speed. (don't you felt so?))

Dvorak sounds like the name of an evil scientist.

Dr. Dvorak!

Here I am who use Dvorak keyboard.

No, rather Qwerty is more stupid. ^^
If Dvorak was stupid,
then Qwerty is dumbass bakayarou chikusho. ^0^ ^?^ ?????????

Not 'frustrating'. It's just the matter of habit..

I've been used Qwerty for almost 8~9 YEARS since I've had my own computer for the first time when I was just 10 years old.
But since last winter vacation, I meant, just few weeks before the graduate ceremony of the high school (in East Asia), I, who was Qwerty user for 9 years, finally decided to 'abandon' Qwerty and jump into learning Dvorak. It took 15~20 days to memorize the Dvorak layer.

It have been 9 month since I began to learn Dvorak keyboard.
Somehow I found Dvorak is much more convenicene and comfortable. (Maybe because of A,O,E,U,I (five vowels gathered into a line) under the left hand)
(When I used Qwerty, I felt as if somewhat invisible thing grabs my hand to slow down my typing speed. (don't you felt so?))

Five vowels gathered into a line?

Sorry, I can only handle three... and sometimes four.

EDIT: god dammit, I thought i was editing my post above.

argh, looks so confusing! D:

a2dvorak_hi.jpg

Yeah, It can be very confusing to who learn Dvorak keyboard for the first time. Because many symbol keys are in different location from Qwerty.
[' ][, ][.] in left-up, [;] in left-down,and etc....
I'd hesitated for 3 days before I began to practice Dvorak, because of those 'confusing(?)' symbols key.

But don't worry.
Although it 'looks' difficult to Qwerty users, but It's actually more easier than QWERTY.

Wait!!! [/(?)]key and ['(")]key and [;:))]key had changed each other in that picture!!!!

This thread is two months old, why was it bumped?

I've never tried Dvorak before. But that sounds like something I would totally waste my time on if given the opportunity. I'm on a laptop though so I don't actually have a choice.

I can say that there are only two problem to learn Dvorak

Old habit, and Japanese IME
"Uh? Japanese IME(Input Method Editor)??"

Yeah.

To input Japanes script, (using Japanese IME) first, enter the Japanese pronouncation into Roman Alphabet, then it'll be automatically converted into Hiragana, and press the space bar to convert Hiraganas into Kanji.

When I type Roman Alphabet to input Japanese texts, I still have to use Qwerty Keyboard.
Thanks to that Qwerty-based Japanese IME, when I type Japanese scripts for long times, and suddenly try to enter English, I sometimes confused between Dvorak and Qwerty.

I don't want to get used to Dvorak, then look like an idiot when I'm using someone else's computer or a business machine. In fact, I have some problems adjusting to the feel of different QWERTY keyboards.

Back