Are you going to purchase Call of Duty: MW2?

COD: MW2?

• Yes; Prestige Edition (360/PS3)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Yes; Hardened Edition (360/PS3)

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Yes; Regular Edition (360/PS3)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Yes; PC

Votes: 68 38.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 65 36.7%

• Total voters
I dont get how you could even make a joke about considering being called simple minded a compliment.

"Hey, you're stupid"
"I'll take that as a complement"
"Yeah, that makes sense, idiot."

I dont get how you could even make a joke about considering being called simple minded a compliment.

"Hey, you're stupid"
"Yeah, that makes sense, idiot."

Lol:p

If that 4-5 hours was comprised of the kind of stuff Max Payne 2 or Batman Arkham Asylum puts out then yes, I'm perfectly willing to pay for something I believe to be an enjoyable experience.

I'm definitely beating a dead horse here, but you're talking about Call of Duty's single player experience. So...

I'm definitely beating a dead horse here, but you're talking about Call of Duty's single player experience. So...

1. No, I'm not just talking about Call Of Duty's single player. I'm talking about any short single player game that I deem worthy of my cash.

2. Whether you like it or not, CoD4's single player was actually quite good.

3. Beating a dead horse? Hmmm, just because I don't agree with you about anything does not mean I'm not open to a well put forward objective view that is different to mine, it just means your comments are not well put foward, just like a lot of your replies and comments and the one quoted, which usually offer no constructive insight to your opinion. So... :p

2. Whether you like it or not, CoD4's single player was actually quite good.
*reactionimage!*

If I was forced to give a positive word for CoD4's single-player it would be polished. It takes you to a lot of locations, it looks very good, compact, fairly diverse in terms of general goals, never tries to be something it's not. But there really isn't much value underneath the appearances. You have some sort of a plot which is similar to Transformer in its simplicity. "HEY THERE'S THIS BIG BAD TERRORIST WITH ONE ARM AND HE'S OUT FOR BLOOOD" "WHY DOES HE HAVE ONE ARM? OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT FLASHBACK" "OH SHIT A NUKE WENT OFF" "OH NO HE'S LAUNCHING MISSILES OR SOMETHING" "WE STOPPED IT BUT NOW EVERYBODYS DEAD AND- OH I SHOT THE PIRATE TERRORIST TO DEATH". There are no characters (there are people with names), there is no real story, there is one exciting, atmospheric, and interesting mission (and no others), and a whole lot of running from point A to point B shooting ten thousand nearly identical enemies with guns that are pretty much exactly the same exact for people who masturbate to pictures of guns.

Oh, please Sheepo. Every character in Smash Bros. is the same with different fireball_image.gif And these characters have so much character because they wiggle differently and have 5 different sound effects. A whole lot of jumping from platform A to platform B and pressing the A and B buttons. Finally, I'm sure there is a unique and interesting plot that really gets you behind the game.

I'm not even going to reply to that it's so ridiculous. Or atleast not directly respond to your arguments. I suppose I already have responded, err...

*reactionimage!*

If I was forced to give a positive word for CoD4's single-player it would be polished. It takes you to a lot of locations, it looks very good, compact, fairly diverse in terms of general goals, never tries to be something it's not. But there really isn't much value underneath the appearances. You have some sort of a plot which is similar to Transformer in its simplicity. "HEY THERE'S THIS BIG BAD TERRORIST WITH ONE ARM AND HE'S OUT FOR BLOOOD" "WHY DOES HE HAVE ONE ARM? OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT FLASHBACK" "OH SHIT A NUKE WENT OFF" "OH NO HE'S LAUNCHING MISSILES OR SOMETHING" "WE STOPPED IT BUT NOW EVERYBODYS DEAD AND- OH I SHOT THE PIRATE TERRORIST TO DEATH". There are no characters (there are people with names), there is no real story, there is one exciting, atmospheric, and interesting mission (and no others), and a whole lot of running from point A to point B shooting ten thousand nearly identical enemies with guns that are pretty much exactly the same exact for people who masturbate to pictures of guns.

Well mate, that's your opinion. I on the other hand believe there are are characters, such as Captain Price, who seems to be very popular with people, and while the story may not be anything special, it does take some interesting turns with regards to the outcome of said characters. Sure, most of the gameplay does consist of mowing down enemies though quite what you would expect from a middle eastern arcade combat game is debatable. There is enough variation though while doing this, such as the British SAS missions which throw some decent faux stealth missions into the mix. I also feel that the movie like set pieces and actual enjoyable core gameplay make it a decent arcade single player shooter.

Also, I found more than one atmospheric, exciting mission, such as the opening ship assault, the Russian sniper missions and the American assault on the middle eastern city along with the chopper rescue and mission conclusion.

All of which more than made CoD4 worth my money for the single player alone. I'm sorry you don't agree, but it wouldn't do for use to all like the same thing would it?

P.S. If none of that made sense I'm sorry, I've just had my tonsils out and it's become infected and I'm off my face on painkillers and antibiotics :D.

Haha, I got my wisdom teeth out and I'm much the same.

I can't think of much of anything that Captain Price did or said, only that he was the guy you were in the flashback(, right?). Every character is a cardboard cutout gruff or angry soldier. I remember in that one radio station mission the black guy is like "Yo, I got something much better than this" and he puts on super generic gangster rap. That was quite amusing. I can remember a whole bunch of characters died, that's about the only 'outcome' I can think of. I can't think of anything remotely stealthy I died outside of the flashback mission. Mostly sprinting, stopping, shooting, shifting, shooting. It's so utterly generic there isn't much to say about it. The settings are very diverse and well implemented, but in the end, they're just a pretty backdrop to doing almost the exact same things you did in the last missions. There was a sense of tension, fear, and urgency that gave the Chernobyl mission a good atmosphere by complementing the setting.

Haha, I got my wisdom teeth out and I'm much the same.

I can't think of much of anything that Captain Price did or said, only that he was the guy you were in the flashback(, right?). Every character is a cardboard cutout gruff or angry soldier. I remember in that one radio station mission the black guy is like "Yo, I got something much better than this" and he puts on super generic gangster rap. That was quite amusing. I can remember a whole bunch of characters died, that's about the only 'outcome' I can think of. I can't think of anything remotely stealthy I died outside of the flashback mission. Mostly sprinting, stopping, shooting, shifting, shooting. It's so utterly generic there isn't much to say about it.

Nah, Griggs did my tits in, but from the time I spend playing it Price came across, for me, as a likeable character, although Price has been in more than CoD4 so I have his other appearances to draw reference from. I suppose if you didn't connect to the characters and your squad then that would have been how the end seemed to you. How many times have you played through the SP portion of CoD4? It seems like you just blew through it and didn't really give it much thought. I would recommend another playthrough at a later date, you may find more about it enjoyable.

I've played through once and attempted a few missions a second time, but really, there wasn't anything there for me. I honestly didn't even dislike it that much the first time, it's sort of like a roller coaster ride. A short spurt of fun only to look back and realize all you did was roll down a hill.

I've played through once and attempted a few missions a second time, but really, there wasn't anything there for me. I honestly didn't even dislike it that much the first time, it's sort of like a roller coaster ride. A short spurt of fun only to look back and realize all you did was roll down a hill.

It's a shame that's how it was for you, I honestly got a lot more out of it and still from time to time replay if not the whole game then certain missions. Like I said before, wouldn't do for us all to think the same way. :)

fourzerotwo: Definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it.

OK... wait for next action

Wow, good lord the people on those forums are taking it incredibly seriously...

I mean, I understand how much it sucks that there are no dedicated servers, but before any of this nonsense EVERYONE was singing praises about the multiplayer, so isnt it still worth getting for the quality of the gameplay?

I mean, I understand how much it sucks that there are no dedicated servers, but before any of this nonsense EVERYONE was singing praises about the multiplayer, so isnt it still worth getting for the quality of the gameplay?

The lack of dedicated servers is just stupid. It's not much effort for the developer (especially compared to all the other shit they're doing) and it makes multiplayer a much more fun and social experience. The whole "join the random server your friends are on" with no choice of map and limited choice of gameplay settings is why online console gaming multiplayer never had me hooked.

I'd still get it if I had the money, but with Borderlands, Dragon Age, and Left 4 Dead 2, I feel like my money will probably be going other places. COD4 was fun, but it's a far cry from the "multiplayer revolution" everyone seemed to say it was. Frankly, my favorite part of it was the single-player.

It's a shame that's how it was for you, I honestly got a lot more out of it and still from time to time replay if not the whole game then certain missions. Like I said before, wouldn't do for us all to think the same way. :)

Um, well, good for you then. Enjoy... more of the same.

"Call of Duty 4 had an amazing storyline, deep characters, fantastic writing, and varied gameplay."

*insert Corp. Sheepo's avatar*

Also I'm not too miffed about this dedicated server business. Like Bnet2, I'm just going to wait on some proper, detailed explanation before flipping my shit yo.

It doesn't matter how good the multiplayer is if the fundamental system behind it is broken.

mw2nope.gif

Yesterday, MW2's PC version was the 84th bestselling videogame on Amazon.com. According to others, it was the 9th bestselling game before this whole controversy erupted. Now, it's fallen completely off the Top 100 list.

I like how they're going through all this trouble of setting up "IW.net" when nobody's going to use it. It would have probably cost them a lot less to just supply the ded server files.

Edit: It's also getting Spore'd in the reviews.

They're going to brick back server window.

I really wouldn't mind a two-tiered approach to this. Server browser for custom, dedicated games, and matchmaking for skill matching and a more fluid/varied set of gametypes per server.

Official IW response:

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

More here.

Well, that seals it. MW2 on the PC is dead.

Shame that IW killed what looked like a very promising game with a single horrible decision.

Matchmaking is the ****ing devil. I'm all for vanilla servers and putting a stop to the ridiculous amount of user added content that plague some games, but matchmaking sucks balls.

I really wouldn't mind a two-tiered approach to this. Server browser for custom, dedicated games, and matchmaking for skill matching and a more fluid/varied set of gametypes per server.

Except I've yet to play a game where matchmaking actually worked at balancing out skill levels. Halo 3 was the only one that even came close, COD4 and WaW both had piss-poor matchmaking systems as far as skill-matching went.

Official Response: http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

Modern Warfare 2 For PC
On 10.20.09, In Video Games, By fourzerotwo

I recently broke news on a PC community member’s podcast that Modern Warfare 2 would be introducing a completely new backend infastructure called IWNET that would allow matchmaking for multiplayer games on PC. The news, by default, means no more browsing through a Server List for a server with the settings / ping you want among other things, and sent shockwaves through the hardcore PC community, leading to many more questions than answers as to ‘HOW’ this would work, and if it would really be better for the PC community as a whole.

Questions, assumptions, and speculation I intend to dispel.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist: Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It’s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you’re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they’ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

Complete and utter horseshit.

I Am surprised that server leasing companies haven't responded to this fiasco. They are the once who are going to be affected worst by this.
After all, it's going to hit their wallets if this system stays in place.

Back