Are you going to purchase Call of Duty: MW2?

COD: MW2?

• Yes; Prestige Edition (360/PS3)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Yes; Hardened Edition (360/PS3)

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Yes; Regular Edition (360/PS3)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Yes; PC

Votes: 68 38.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 65 36.7%

• Total voters
The one and only thing I like about IWnet is this:

Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking.

Which is nice for starting up a game for you and friends to play on without having to pay for a server/find an empty one.

Assuming of course that it is free.

Complete and utter horseshit.

Agreed. This whole IW.net is making the game accessible to the Sims crowd. No offense to the people who like that game, but you know what I mean: not even casual gamers, but people who just happen to have a PC with a half decent GPU. Randoms.

What also annoyed me most was this:

you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. (this dude should learn how to write btw)

I don't want to be held by the hand. I want a challenge. So what if there are some god-like players in the game? It will give me even more satisfaction when I am able to score a frag on them.

I don't want to be held by the hand. I want a challenge. So what if there are some god-like players in the game? It will give me even more satisfaction when I am able to score a frag on them.

You also get better by playing against people who are much better than you.

My biggest fear is that other developers will start thinking this is a good idea as well. If a game like BF3 tried this shit too I'd cry :(.

You also get better by playing against people who are much better than you.

Yeah! Back when I was really into CS I'd always try to join higher ranked servers and join the team getting their ass-kicked, cause it taught me how to work against people who really KNEW the game.

And lemme just say it again, the matchmaking systems in COD4 and World at War both failed horribly, and I'll be surprised if they can polish it for MW2.

I dislike how obtuse it's going to be to set up private matches with machines that have good ping, but how exactly is matchmaking a "bad thing" across the board? It's an absolute ****ing nightmare finding a half-decent server for COD4, let alone one running the map and gametype I want to play at that moment. I don't want to spend five minutes fiddling with the filters and scrolling through a list of multicoloured punctuation, arcane acronyms, and clan tags, just so I can play Search and Destroy on Overgrown with people who aren't ten times better than me.

The more I think about it, the more matchmaking seems to solve a lot of problems.

- You have a better chance of playing with people of your skill level.
- You have an integrated party system, which is :awesome:. No need for 7 people to toggle in and out of Steamchat and click around just so you join the same game. No need to make sure there are enough slots in the one server with decent ping that's playing the one map/gametype everyone can agree on.
- You are forced into variety. On the one hand, you don't necessarily play the map you want to play at the time you want to play it. But on the other hand, the community doesn't devolve to mostly playing the same "best map in the game" over and over and over again, leaving many maps and gametypes in the ditches (de_dust and CP_Dustbowl come to mind).

Now, if we have to pay a fee for IWnet... that changes everything.

**** you 402,

this game will be the biggest torrented game ever!

I hope you don't think I mean in the sequel. I mean, pretty much forever.

Yeah, I'd be happy if I never had to listen to your misguided sense of gaming superiority again. So yeah, forever would do me.

Not sure how that makes any sense at all, but okay.

I love that IW never talks about what happens when you get matched up with someone trying to play on 56k... I really love teleporting across the map in games. Not to mention host advantage... always a huge factor when dealing with peer to peer action games.

Why nobody has brought this up, and focuses on "modded servers" is beyond me.

This is the most backlash I've ever seen towards a video game. I'm surprised IW are pretending like it's ok.

I dont understand how IW could have misjudged their customer base so badly. I mean, it sucks that some suit probably told them to get IWNet infrastructure up to make them more money without realizing that the PC gaming community would absolutely not have it. Same shit as Games For Windows Live. Some suit probably thought it was a good idea because he was completely ignorant to the needs and wants of the customers he was doing it for.

Shit like this just makes me love valve so much more because they actually understand the community (L4D2 was overblown and doesnt count).

Yeah L4D2 is nothing compared to this. The problem is valve is primarily PC but call of duty is not and unfortunately in the long run activision will not care.

I would not be surprised if this was some sort of market experiment though by activision. See if pc gamers will take it and A) if they do charge them for dlc like everyone else or more likely B) if they don't blame poor sales of the pc version on piracy or something and abandon pc development of future COD games completely meaning increased sales of console versions

Activision-CEO-Bobby-Kotick-is-the-devil.jpg

Edit: It's also getting Spore'd in the reviews.

4 of 59 people found the following review helpful:

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game evar!!!

This game is really good and lets face it no one is gonna buy it on PC anyways cos we all know PCs suck for gaming and no one cares what servers the 12 people who buy this on PC will be using theres not enough PC gamers to have a full server anyway!!! lololol all games should be played on consoles

Published 1 day ago by Lw Pearson

Awesome.

I would not be surprised if this was some sort of market experiment though by activision. See if pc gamers will take it and A) if they do charge them for dlc like everyone else or more likely B) if they don't blame poor sales of the pc version on piracy or something and abandon pc development of future COD games completely meaning increased sales of console versions
Exactly what I was thinking.

I say we crash their business, just for the lulz. Boycott all versions. In fact, make it every game they have a hand in. Call it an experiment.

I'm curious to see how this petition thin will develop. But I have a feeling at the end of the day the devs are not going to care.

Can someone explain to me what all the kerfuffle is about? I rarely play games on PC and I'm not exactly understanding here.

Can someone explain to me what all the kerfuffle is about? I rarely play games on PC and I'm not exactly understanding here.

Well, they're trying to do away with dedicated servers. Think any Valve game except L4D. You can buy/rent servers and host your own maps, mods, etc. Infinity Ward is trying to do away with that and just use their own servers/matchmaking. Basically coping the console exactly how it sets up a match. You don't get a choice of what map, you don't get to choose the best ping for you. It will autoselect, autoload, etc etc.

Basically, you actually had a server browser on the computer and could pick what you want. They want to dumb it down to console level. Personally, I'm content with matchmaking on console, but when I play a PC game, I love server browsers.

Anyway, that's all the kerfuffle. Also, that's my word of the day starting now. Kerfuffle.

Think about all those awesome servers you found on TF2, and managed to own everyone.

Now imagine never being able to do that again...

I'm so sick of Downfall parodies like these, there are like HUNDREDS of'em out there on youtube related to all kinds of games etc, there's for Starcraft 2 No LAN news, there's for L4D2 news etc.

It's so tiresome and boring.

Don't be a party pooper, those videos are funny as hell

I dislike how obtuse it's going to be to set up private matches with machines that have good ping, but how exactly is matchmaking a "bad thing" across the board? It's an absolute ****ing nightmare finding a half-decent server for COD4, let alone one running the map and gametype I want to play at that moment. I don't want to spend five minutes fiddling with the filters and scrolling through a list of multicoloured punctuation, arcane acronyms, and clan tags, just so I can play Search and Destroy on Overgrown with people who aren't ten times better than me.

I have never had this issue and I can only come to the conclusion people that do have this issue can't find a decent gaming network when really it takes all of five seconds to find a group with sufficient servers and stick with them. Being Australian certainly helps because every major ISP hosts a tonne of gaming servers and it just makes sense to play on servers hosted by your ISP or on an ISP your ISP has peering arrangements with. Low ping and no bullshit. I mainly play TF2 and it takes me seconds to find a server I want to play on or I'll just join a friend.

Every time I've encountered a matchmaking system it has outright failed on me. L4D and Battlefield Heroes come to mind. They'll spend eons looking for a game and find nothing which leaves me to manually pick a server. In the case of BFH that means pick a server and pray (no information of players in any given server) or hope I have a friend online. This is matchmaking with dedicated servers how bloody hard can it be to pool a list of servers with sub 100ms latency and join one with people on it? It doesn't ****ing work.

PC games don't need this garbage and if you do implement match making for the masses leave the old system in place. I hate this shit.

/edit for the heck of it I just looked up COD4 games on games.on.net. Out of 35 servers they host for COD4 28 of them have people playing on them all with a variety of different settings and maps. TF2 is a tad quieter at the moment but I can attribute that to TF2 players coming on from about 6pm to 8pm after work. It's currently 4:45pm.

/edit 2

Can't find games.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/Kyorisu/valve_fail.jpg
Can't find server.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/Kyorisu/wtf_valve.jpg

You have a better chance of playing with people of your skill level.

Meh. I like a mixed bag of skill levels.

You have an integrated party system, which is :awesome:. No need for 7 people to toggle in and out of Steamchat and click around just so you join the same game. No need to make sure there are enough slots in the one server with decent ping that's playing the one map/gametype everyone can agree on.

With TF2 I can bring up the steam interface and find the server my friends are on with a few clicks. It's not as difficult as you make it sound. Besides the group system you describe can work with dedicated servers. From the sounds of it IW will host their own servers anyway which you'd be able to join with the group system you describe. Amazing. Not.

You are forced into variety. On the one hand, you don't necessarily play the map you want to play at the time you want to play it. But on the other hand, the community doesn't devolve to mostly playing the same "best map in the game" over and over and over again, leaving many maps and gametypes in the ditches (de_dust and CP_Dustbowl come to mind).

I don't play CSS so I'll ignore that but I do play TF2 and I don't play on Dustbowl. You know why I don't play on Dustbowl? Because I join a server that doesn't have Dustbowl in the rotation.

After all the raving and petitioning by the PC gamers I don't think IW will budge.

L4D has dedicated servers.

Well, in essence, I'm talking about the server browser and how L4D uses matchmaking to find the best dedicated server. I know you can have dedicated servers, but like I said, I meant the server browser part at first. Anyway, yeah, what I basically said except L4D does have dedicated servers. And I meant how server browser isn't openly available to casual players.

>_<

Whatever. I'm too tired to type. I'm too depressed to think. I'm too hungry to dance.

Blah.

Unless there is an obvious server browser. God damn it. I haven't played L4D in a while, but I think everyone understands what I've been saying.

Holy ****. I'm sick of typing.

Out of the 66 votes for PC, is anyone still planning on buying it? You can cancel my vote.

I think the moderators should reset this poll. and find out the new percentage.!

Out of the 66 votes for PC, is anyone still planning on buying it? You can cancel my vote.

I tried COD4 MP on a friend's pc and it was boring, so I don't want it anymore.(at least not pay for it)

I think the moderators should reset this poll. and find out the new percentage.!

I think the poll should be kept for comparison:

BEFORE IW nuked the game

new poll -
AFTER IW nuked the game

Back