Arizona.....just got a little dumber (if its possible!)

Warped

Reaction score
t1main.jan.brewer.gi.jpg

Arizona bans ethnic studies in public schools

(CNN) -- Fresh on the heels of a new immigration law that has led to calls to boycott her state, Arizona's governor has signed a bill banning ethnic studies classes that "promote resentment" of other racial groups.

Gov. Jan Brewer approved the measure without public statement Tuesday, according to state legislative records. The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people."

The bill was pushed by state school Superintendent Tom Horne, who has spent two years trying to get Tucson schools to drop a Mexican-American studies program he said teaches Latino students they are an oppressed minority. There was no immediate response from the Tucson Unified School District, the law's main target.

Brewer's signature comes less than a month after she approved a state law that requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance. Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

On Wednesday, the Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals the new immigration law.

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/12/arizona.ethnic.studies/index.html?hpt=T1

worst governor of the year award!

Sounds reasonable to me. Doesn't say you can't teach ethnicity, just that you can't teach racist stuff.

That's equivalent to not teaching people about World War 2 because the Jewish kids might hate German kids. Are they not going to teach about the civi rights movement because it was an effort to change laws aimed at a specific ethnic group? I don't know how omitting history from a historical education could be considered a good idea... what's the saying... if we don't learn from the past we're destined to repeat it?

This is very similar to the cases in Japan, where certain WWII atrocities were completely omitted from the education system.

Personally, I would like to see what type of history is excluded first. Otherwise, excluding history is always a bad thing in my opinion.

The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people."

Seriously, what the **** is wrong with this. Seems like a sensible law to me.

Because of the examples that have just been provided. You can't omit things from history just because you don't like them. That doesn't mean they didn't happen. People need to learn about them. Why make ignorance a law? Hell, one of the biggest historical attractions of my area is the home of Harman Blennerhassett, who's only claim to fame is was trying to overthrow the government with Aaron Burr.

It's really irrational to avoid teaching something that just because it might slightly offend one or two people.

Because of the examples that have just been provided. You can't omit things from history just because you don't like them. That doesn't mean they didn't happen. People need to learn about them. Why make ignorance a law? Hell, one of the biggest historical attractions of my area is the home of Harman Blennerhassett, who's only claim to fame is was trying to overthrow the government with Aaron Burr.

It's really irrational to avoid teaching something that just because it might slightly offend one or two people.

They're not saying you can't teach the holocaust, they are saying you can't teach that Jews are evil.

There's a clear difference.

Those are completely opposite things. They say you can't teach things that create "resentment toward a race or class of people."

So you can't teach the civil rights movements of blacks or mexican-americans because it could cause resentment toward white people. You can't teach about the holocaust because it could cause resentment toward peopel of german descent. You can't teach about the war atrocities of the Japanese in China because it could cuase resentment toward people of Japanese decent. You can't teach about the French revolution because it could cause resentment toward the Bourgeoisie. You can't teach about X because Y might get pissed.

You...can't...censor...history. It happened. If you don't tell the people of the future what happened, no one will have learned from the triumphs and mistakes of their ancestors.

"They say you can't teach things that create "resentment toward a race or class of people." "

Nope. It says advocate, not create.

They are not censoring history. They are not saying you can't teach things. They are just saying the classes can't be "The jews are evil" or anything like that.

Advocate is worse than create. That gives a much more broad definition of what can't be taught since so many things can be determined to be advocating. Also, there's no public educational system in the country that would teach something like "The Jews are evil." That's a horrible example. This isn't even about things of that nature. It specifically says they're dropping Mexican-American Latino studies because it teaches of their past oppression and that directly correlates with what I've been saying. It is a flagrant step toward omitting history because it's not pretty and friendly to all the kids.

They are not censoring history. They are not saying you can't teach things. They are just saying the classes can't be "The jews are evil" or anything like that.
Except it is almost certainly not as clear-cut as that.

The Gov. et al probably think that's what the classes are doing, but those teaching the classes probably don't see it as anything of the sort and would object to such a description. I suspect that a neutral observer may not find the classes in question to be convincing examples of 'teaching hate', but if the lawmakers disagree it will be their call.

The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people."

This woman is an alarmist **** who needs to be bitch slapped by every immigrant in the country.

lol at classes advocating to overthrow the government.

And this is why old people shouldn't be allowed in government. Sure, they are experienced. But they are old ass racists, old fashioned.

I say when you turn 60, you are ****ing out of there.

The 'advocating resentment' part is almost certainly an excuse to ban things that aren't American in nature.

This woman is an alarmist **** who needs to be bitch slapped by every immigrant in the country.

I completely agree, seems to me that they are over-exaggerating the topic of study. The study of Mexican-American studies I would expect is the history and culture of immigrations and so forth in our country. This would just be like any other class in the United States from African-American Studies, to Asian-American Studies. All of those races have been oppressed one way or another. This is a ridiculous law. How do you ban teaching the history of culture?

I'm glad other people and even cities/states have some sense to boycott Arizona over dumb laws. Los Angeles just made a statement that they are boycotting business with Arizona. The hell with Arizona.

ever heard of La Raza?

Pack up your burrito stands and get the **** out of here, Mexicants.

To me, this sounds dangerously like re-writing history books. Also firing teachers with an accent? Wow. Arizona is a joke.

Yeah see you still aren't making any kind of logical argument or point with clear relation to the topic at hand. Try harder.

Wait, so now we're having interstate embargo?

Awesome.

Yeah see you still aren't making any kind of logical argument or point with clear relation to the topic at hand. Try harder.

TROLL

So besides having a shitty name, what is your point? Do you have any evidence of your first two accusations? What does it have to do with what you quoted?

And what does any of it have to do with this thread?

Oh yeah, HISS; PANIC!

a guy on one of the local FM radio talk shows is calling this "courageous"...

this country is turning into the equivalent of a man questioning his sexuality as he's jizzing all over another man's backside.

It is pretty courageous. However, it's not valiant.

Takes a lotta balls to pull something like this.

You could say the same for the holocaus- GODWIN'D!!

This thread lost to Godwin's in the second post.

Uhh, I don't suppose you people have heard of a little thing called... burritos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burritos

I'm not going to bother relating it to the topic in any way, or even explain my position on this issue, but instead I'll just leave this here and let you draw your own conclusions while contributing nothing of any value to the thread.

:cool:

Uhh, I don't suppose you people have heard of a little thing called... burritos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burritos

I'm not going to bother relating it to the topic in any way, or even explain my position on this issue, but instead I'll just leave this here and let you draw your own conclusions while contributing nothing of any value to the thread.

:cool:

Lol, leave it to a foreigner to have to post a link to wikipedia for burritos. I feel sorry for you guys. That's like saying "Hey, have you guys every heard of this thing called the telephone?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone ".

I love this country.

Lol, leave it to a foreigner to have to post a link to wikipedia for burritos. I feel sorry for you guys. That's like saying "Hey, have you guys every heard of this thing called the telephone?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone ".

I love this country.

Why the hell does it matter if he's a foreigner or not?! He just posted the wikipedia article as reference! Is this the kind of racism they teach in these schools?!

Back