Avatar: The Legend of Korra; it's steampunk

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Fans of blue aliens need not apply, this is the sequel to the Nickelodeon cartoon.

objh954korra1g201007211.jpg

Follows the avatar after Aang, a water tribe girl named Korra. She apparantly starts off having already mastered Water, Fire and Earth and travels to Republic City, which is a steampunk city that people from all the nations live in. Just like London, Republic City is plagued with crime and an anti-bender movement. She goes there to learn Airbending from Aang's son, whose name is Tenzin. Link.

Hopefully it won't suck!

Sounds pretty interesting.
Been watching Avatar a lot lately and I'm really digging it, damn good for a kids show.

Oh wow! will try this out because I love the Airbender Series as a whole even if the newest movie was bullcrap

Well, if there's one good thing that could come out of the movie's success, it's this. :p

Wonder if there's any chance they'll darken the tone a little. Not to the point they sacrifice the show's great sense of humour, but it always bugged me when they had to just imply violence so often to keep the rating intact. Not to oversell the show's maturity or anything, but I think it could benefit from having a bit more of an edge.

Still, with it being on Nickelodeon there's probably not much chance of that, right?

Well, if there's one good thing that could come out of the movie's success, it's this. :p

Wonder if there's any chance they'll darken the tone a little. Not to the point they sacrifice the show's great sense of humour, but it always bugged me when they had to just imply violence so often to keep the rating intact. Not to oversell the show's maturity or anything, but I think it could benefit from having a bit more of an edge.

Still, with it being on Nickelodeon there's probably not much chance of that, right?

to me I liked it that way. Aang never really killed anyone and was a master at what he did. Its nice to see the superheroes show compassion for their enemies....just like Batman

**** YEAH.

I can't wait to see how this all turns out, and how Aang and Katara's son looks.

On a side note, if two benders from different nations have kids, will their offspring inherit both of their powers? And what about the Avatar's son?

On a side note, if two benders from different nations have kids, will their offspring inherit both of their powers? And what about the Avatar's son?
My guess is it's one or the other and an Avatar's kid would just get the bending of the Avatar's native country, but who knows?

look at her muscles...

This means that.... AANG IS DEAD.

I am assuming that Korra is about 18 years old, knowing that they tell you that you are the Avatar at 16 + two more years to learn the different types of bending, and the new Avatar is born at the same instant that the old one dies. The show takes place 70 years after the original series, so Aang was 164 biologically or 64 actually when he died.

where is the blue cat people?

they where all anihilated?

:p

to me I liked it that way. Aang never really killed anyone and was a master at what he did. Its nice to see the superheroes show compassion for their enemies....just like Batman
Yeah... uhh, that's his character. There's no reason good characters couldn't exist in a darker tone, if anything they'd have a greater contrast to the "bad guys" and would seem more righteous for it. I'm talking about when other people killed or died in the series.

The show even makes fun of itself for this at one point when they think back to someone who was implied to have been killed but never really shown to be dead. "So what was the deal with him, anyway?" *shrug* Come on, they so obviously wanted to elaborate on it more than that.

Only other TV then Star Wars that I'm dying to see,cant wait!!!

Also, I hope we find out what happened to Zuko's mother..

I read that Zuko was still the Fire Lord, but he's dying.

Wasn't it very heavily implied, if not outright told that

Zuko's mother was killed by his father?
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I'm sure there was a flashback that tied this up...

Wasn't it very heavily implied, if not outright told that

Zuko's mother was filled by his father?
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I'm sure there was a flashback that tied this up...

If you meant "killed", then no. It was implied that she was banished. (Lol @ filled, where do you think Azula and Zuko came from? ;))

I am also betting this will take a darker edge, considering Korra's age, and it kind of worries me actually. I could deal with the occasional obligatory shot of a firebender escaping a tank right before it was smashed. But a lot could be ruined if the show takes itself too seriously, especially the humor. But I agree, it could have done with just a little more leeway in the fighting/dead characters department. It will have to, if Aang and everybody else is dead.

PESSIMISM AND RANT ASIDE I AM SO ****ING GLAD THAT M. NIGHT'S GARBAGE DID NOT RUIN THE PROSPECT OF THIS HAPPENING. WOOOOOO

I bet they will have cameos if it's only 70 years. My first guess would be Toph at 80. Also, Aang's son is gonna be mid-30s probably. I hope it's not Katara's son too, that would be interesting ;) (it will be)

I could deal with the occasional obligatory shot of a firebender escaping a tank right before it was smashed. But a lot could be ruined if the show takes itself too seriously, especially the humor.
It was kind of funny when for example Toph would flip over a ton of Fire Nation Tanks, destroying them, and then you'd see the soldiers crawl out groaning a couple of seconds after. But I'm not sure if they'll make it as dark as most people think. I mean, it's still on Nickelodeon, right?

The mentality amuses me. "Don't worry, they're only maimed, not dead!"

It's not so much dark but too serious what I am worried about, and is often the route taken by sequels of kid's stories. The original show is so excellent because it has meaningful and emotional themes and a strongly built fantasy universe, but maintains humor, fun and good times.

Look at Harry Potter (comparable only in target audience). It started out pretty excellent, didn't take itself too seriously. By the final book, Rowlings decided the only way to make it "adult" was to kill off every other secondary character. This almost certainly won't happen to a show still on Nickelodeon, but the more pessimistic I am, the more rewarding it will be when it's as good or even better than the original!

erespost.png

Hahaha.

"Too bad they managed to evacuate the entire city in the 3 seconds it took me to blow it up, huh Vegeta?"

Well, at least they're not referring to killing people as sending them to the next dimension. ;)

Edit: Also, yeah, blind old widecracking sage Toph is pretty much a given.

I think the most ridiculous instance of not killing anyone in the show was the episode where they introduce Jet. Jet's gang ambush a group of Fire Nation soldiers and proceed to disarm them all and send them running away. Latter on they plan on bursting a damn and killing everyone in the village bellow. If they're willing to kill an entire village of civilians to get a few soldiers why the hell did they just leave them go at the start?

Because Jet is a genius.

That picture looks ridiculous. I'm hopeful though, I absolutely adore the original.

Dem muscular shoulders.

Female lead who isn't a dainty little flower? Yes please.

Sweet voice cast, mostly. Couple who don't seem to have done much voice work... one who was in the Last Airbender movie, lol.

Edit: Man, I just realised what the background of that image is making me think of. Full Metal Alchemist, much?

Looks like Korra will be a better character than Katara, she's was the most whiny character in the original cartoon.

The fact that Cave Johnson as Aang's son is ****ing awesome.

wait what JK simmons is in this im going to dick my shit

Here comes the lemon references, Tenzin will get full of em. But it looks like Katara is alive as well, from what was shown on youtube.

Here's a terrible trailer.

(Still looks good but man what a bad trailer.)

It was a TV spot, had some good parts and some pretty bad ones.

BTW I still can't believe its being called "The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra" in the US, but "Avatar: The Legend of Korra" internationally. ****ing James Cameron, man.

can't wait for this..but yeah that trailer was bad lol.

Just watched the first episode (totally not illegally) and it looks like I'm going to like this. The shift to steampunk 1920s with
spider-man cops
is a bit odd (the megaphone and microphones in particular made me do a double-take) but hey, I don't just want to watch the same show again do I? That said, not sure how I'm going to find the time to watch these legitimately and I do not want to or plan to pirate the show, so I might be waiting a while to actually see the rest of it.

Edit: Oh right. This was a leak, the show hasn't officially started yet. I tend to cloister myself from news of things I'm anticipating to avoid spoilers so I didn't know that. Uh...yeah.

"Just watched the first episode (totally not illegally)"

and where did yee spy this episode matey?

supposedly the series is starting mid april? stupid canada not having nickelodeon I'm interested in viewing this series from the beginning without having to move to the US

Back