Awesome :D

G

GoldZero

From Gabe Newell: !URL=full article]http://www.trepid.net/interviews/2003-06-13-gabenewell.shtml[/URL]

Will it be possible for levels designed in the current Valve Hammer Editor to be converted into Half-Life 2 levels?

It should be pretty simple. We have taken a lot of existing content and made sure it migrates easily to Source.

Awesome! I'm going to start working on my maps right now!

I would just say that hl2 suppoert 2k x 2k textures. (2048 x 2048 pixel)
it support a new texture system\pack.. where mappers can include their own textures.zip into the map file.
I hope the new textures are jpg or some multilayer textures that can be made in photoshop.

The max polygones are not a source problem, but up to the mapper.. wich mean that the source can handle everything that your video card can handle..
And I also think the scaling that hl2 has is not only for models, but for the whole game.
In the video you can se smooth grass\plants showing when you drive. the detail in hl2 could be realy up to the mappers, and not up to the engine anymore.. sweet :afro:

Originally posted by vakuum

The max polygones are not a source problem, but up to the mapper.. wich mean that the source can handle everything that your video card can handle..

where did you come up with this?

Valve has mentioned use of bump-mapping and specular highlights. This means textures will probably consist of bump maps and gloss maps in addition to the standard texture. I doubt very much that the textures will be in JPEG format as I'm pretty sure graphics cards require bit-mapped textures for thier texture mapping engine and the space saved on disk wouldn't really be worth the extra time to decompress and the loss of quality.

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
where did you come up with this?

From the interview with gabe newell:
Could you inform us of what the maximum "acceptable" polygons is for both levels and models?
That's really an art and design issue more than a technical issue.

From that answer i will belive that the source engine has no polygon limit, only the video card has..

Is I think you can make models for the high end graphic card's and the engine calculates it into lower res models for the low-end graphic card's and systems. Because gabe said that the engine is scalable and that he didnt want to looze a steady framerate in any part off the game. so you will even have a good fps on the absolute minimum.

/me goes on building creature with 10k poly's.. MwuhahahaHaa.. ph34r m3 4nd my 1337 sp34k

back to Goldzero: I saw that post but I wouldnt jump on that Hammer house just yet my friend. No one here has an idea of the face scales and stuff like that, that HL 2 will be using.
16x16 pixels is a small square when rendered in HL1, In HL2 it might almost be invisible. HL2 will allow mappers to add minute details- Half-life doesn't really.
in terms of level designing the best thing you can do now is plan it, as best you can
concept design drawings, lay out drawings, brain storms. Its always best to plan things well :afro:

Originally posted by howser
back to Goldzero: I saw that post but I wouldnt jump on that Hammer house just yet my friend. No one here has an idea of the face scales and stuff like that, that HL 2 will be using.
16x16 pixels is a small square when rendered in HL1, In HL2 it might almost be invisible. HL2 will allow mappers to add minute details- Half-life doesn't really.
in terms of level designing the best thing you can do now is plan it, as best you can
concept design drawings, lay out drawings, brain storms. Its always best to plan things well

yeah, just plan for now.....thats what all the experienced mappers are doing

Back