BF2 Thread

jimbo118 said:
i read its coming out the day its released in europe which is quite gay,

off topic: i remember when i first came here you had over a thousand posts or so and i had only a few, now im nearly up there with you. :)

WEEAAAAKKK. That's like June 15th or 17th right? I was hoping for something earlier than that.

Yeah, my posts have slowed down since the release of HL2. I've really only posted in General Games, Off-Topic and Films, DVD & TV now-a-days. I remember when you were just a wee-one :p

AmishSlayer said:
WEEAAAAKKK. That's like June 15th or 17th right? I was hoping for something earlier than that.

Yeah, my posts have slowed down since the release of HL2. I've really only posted in General Games, Off-Topic and Films, DVD & TV now-a-days. I remember when you were just a wee-one :p
*sniff* they were the days, lurking in the shadows, still thinking bolter was from germany :eek: , haha good times. i only post in the lounge too mostly these days, theres still forums here i havent been to yet like the fanfic etc.

jimbo118 said:
*sniff* they were the days, lurking in the shadows, still thinking bolter was from germany :eek: ,.

me? woot :O

...and why germany :naughty:

KoreBolteR said:
me? woot :O

...and why germany :naughty:
yeah i thought you were from germany lol, cant think why, i remember discussing some new bf2 screens with you 1 night that i thought were s*it, before i was interested in the game, i think the screens were from a german website so i thought you were german, lol :LOL:, its weird i just always remembered you as being a nice bloke from germany. :) :p

Shakermaker said:
Hehehe cool. My head is gonna feel like his tomoroow.

That IGN-preview is pretty cool btw.
lol did you see the 1s of the us soldiers jumping off the 4 story roofs, that was pretty funny, very much a wtf moment.

those are some nice screens :)

im shaking with excitement :O!!! :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

jimbo118 said:

I'm glad this preview addressed a bit of the balancing. I was hoping the sniper wouldn't have a 1-shot kill unless it was a headshot and I'm glad it's so.

All these previews keep telling us the same things:

-Great graphics to drool over
-Fluid gameplay
-Infantry combat has greatly improved
-Commander mode aspects
-Vehicle combat is fun
-The game is going to kick ass when it comes out

I'd like for a preview to focus strictly on the balancing for once. I know what to expect walking into BF2 in terms of features...but I don't know how many shots it'll take to take down a tank from the front, side or back with the anti-tank rpg or the grenades etc. This is the kind of stuff that's on my mind right now...balancing. That and air vehicle combat. Everyone says helicopters will act like in BF:V but I never played Vietnam...are they like in DC?

They're supposedly easier than DC, but still take some skill.
I think they don't talk about balance because all told they only get a few hours with the game, so they can't speak with authority.

No, they aint like DC. They're easier to control and master for one. But there are more preventative measures against helicopters in Vietnam, rockets and artillery, they are weaker. etc. I think the balance for bf2 will tend towards infantry combat this time, bf:v was the only one to make vehicles the dominant element. Also, think about the technology of the time in bf2- heat guided, laser guided, wire guided missiles. etc, which will make short work of most aircraft.

just wondering as maybe a lil general consensus will you guys play as the commander? the last thing i want to do tbh is be the commander using the real time map, it looks cool but i just wanna pick up and play, i hope no-one nominates me.

I wanna at least play around with the commander with bots :) In real games I doubt I would... I'd rather be off killing things :D

J_Tweedy said:
No, they aint like DC. They're easier to control and master for one. But there are more preventative measures against helicopters in Vietnam, rockets and artillery, they are weaker. etc. I think the balance for bf2 will tend towards infantry combat this time, bf:v was the only one to make vehicles the dominant element. Also, think about the technology of the time in bf2- heat guided, laser guided, wire guided missiles. etc, which will make short work of most aircraft.

Ok. I am a pro when it comes to helo's in DC so I'll only have to adjust to the feel in BF2 I guess.

jimnbo118 said:
just wondering as maybe a lil general consensus will you guys play as the commander? the last thing i want to do tbh is be the commander using the real time map, it looks cool but i just wanna pick up and play, i hope no-one nominates me.

I plan to do what I did with BF1942. Play through the "Campaign" first to make sure I have a feel for all the maps, kits, vehicles, commander mode, etc. before hitting the servers. I'll play commander from time to time. I always do my best to keep the team together working on flags rather than just killing people in DC so being commander sounds like a good fit for me. I think I'll be going engineer, medic, anti-tank, special ops as my main kits of choice. It seems like engineer would be ideal as commander so you could step out of the command screen to repair your own structures if you need to.

I am with you Slayer im good with helo's in DC . it will be easy to get use too

jimbo118 said:

I'd love to be a commander. The cool thing about it imo is that you can play as a normal grunt, but you can switch to the commander screen. Like AmishSlayer wrote: it'd be great to guard your own command structure, and issue orders, artillery attacks, the works in the meantime. I'll be the commander of the HL2.net-clan!

Shakermaker said:
I'd love to be a commander. The cool thing about it imo is that you can play as a normal grunt, but you can switch to the commander screen. Like AmishSlayer wrote: it'd be great to guard your own command structure, and issue orders, artillery attacks, the works in the meantime. I'll be the commander of the HL2.net-clan!
oh i thought when you are commander you cant play, you just organise your squads etc :thumbs:

very interesting , and some how stupid ?
you can see everthing and then just switch to grunt with advantage off knowing everything ??

NikolaX said:
very interesting , and some how stupid ?
you can see everthing and then just switch to grunt with advantage off knowing everything ??

Yeah, you can. If you were constantly switching back and forth like that, not only would you need a place to hide but you wouldn't exactly be the best commander if you were running around on the ground using the info (not to mention the commander abils.) only to your advantage.

Sure the commander could be a great 1-man army if he used all his powers for himself while he ran around the map...but it wouldn't win you the game.

AmishSlayer said:
Yeah, you can. If you were constantly switching back and forth like that, not only would you need a place to hide but you wouldn't exactly be the best commander if you were running around on the ground using the info (not to mention the commander abils.) only to your advantage.

Sure the commander could be a great 1-man army if he used all his powers for himself while he ran around the map...but it wouldn't win you the game.

Exactly. That's why it's prolly best to station your commander in the rear in stead of at the front. That has been common practice in most armed conflicts .... ;)

TBI Australian Preview

http://www.totalbf2.com/news/tbi1.php

So what can the Commander actually do? Well basically he is a regular player on the battlefield, who has the ability to remotely observe the battlefield in a couple of ways. Most basic is his top-down map view, which shows every member of his team as well as Flag possession or status. This is pretty much the same as the map view we're familiar with in Battlefield 1942/DC, except he can interact with it in two ways. Firstly he has a filter system, whereby he can choose which of his team members to display based on class/vehicle/squad. Secondly, by right clicking on a location within the map and selecting an option from the pop-up menu which appears. He can issue orders to Squad Leaders such as 'Attack', 'Defend', etc, call an artillery strike or drop ammo supply crates. He also has the ability to launch a UAV Drone.

The UAV Drone on its own isn't the all-revealing tool some people have assumed it would be. In fact, it moves quite quickly and is only accessible for a short span each time it's deployed. As Commander you can zoom in or out and it does show all the action of the battlefield in real time from a top down perspective, but it only covers sections at a time and you don’t have much time to relay that information on to your Squad Leaders, who then have to relay the information to their Squad.

cool

jimbo118 said:
oh i thought when you are commander you cant play, you just organise your squads etc :thumbs:

yeah you can play, but it will be majorly overshadowed by your duty to help your team as you have the supreme role of birdseye view etc... :E

DICE Interview

How many ranks will there be in BF2 and how long do you estimate it will take to gain a new rank?
Battlefield 2 will ship with 13 ranks. In general players can achieve the earlier ranks more easily, but the higher ranks take more time and experience points.

http://www.theirishguard.com/

June 17 is ship date in EU and it will be 23 June in all stores.

Linux server at/around launch: Yes

Continued BFV / BF1942 support (e.g. patches): Not planned

BF2 demo: Yes, expected mid June, containing 1 (unknown) map

Release dates: EU: Ships 17th June, expected in-store soon after

US: Ships 22nd June, expected in-store 23rd June

Map sizes:minimum available 16 player (8v8) - emphasis on infantry and light armour
System spec: Minimum GPU - ATI Radeon 8500 / NVIDIA FX 5600 due to shaders

Doesn't favour ATI or NVIDIA cards - equal performance

Gameplay: - Much more fast-paced than previous titles

- First-person view looks towards the sky when you're critically hit

- Medics can revive critical hits up to 15 seconds later

- Deadly hit results in instant death

- Interface is lighter than in previous titles

Back