Black Mesa Official Trailer Released

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the most talked about mods reveals an official trailer today, also stating their release isn't far off. It looks brilliant. Black Mesa website.
This officially concludes our media release, but not future updates! And as stated in the trailer, the days this mod stays in development are truly numbered. Hang tight, because at long last, it is coming.
<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGlhgVz5r6E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGlhgVz5r6E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>​

Looks nice.

They have a lot to live up to though, so good luck to the team!

They need to get a bittorrent link up or things are going to start getting interesting...

I'll be completely honest, I always thought this mod would be one of those overly ambitious mods that never gets finished. I can't believe it's nearly finished and my god it looks brilliant!

Oh my god, I'm impressed.
I can't wait for this mod much longer.
Nice improvements too.

Thank you Hectic for this excellent video.

:cheers:

batmanohnva9gd4.jpg

Honestly, I hope they charge for this. It looks so good, it would be great if they could sell it for $2.99 - $4.99 or something, just to recoup their losses. Perhaps strike a deal with Valve.

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I could not disagree with you more. I'm a huge fan of not paying for things.

Honestly, I hope they charge for this. It looks so good, it would be great if they could sell it for $2.99 - $4.99 or something, just to recoup their losses. Perhaps strike a deal with Valve.

same here
considering the time they've put into it and the overall quality
:sniper:

I don't mind pay for games and stuff like that, but pay for a fan made remake mod? Are you serious? Anyway, this will never happen.
I wish them luck with their mod.

We shall judge on release ladies, lets not get too carried away yet. Trailer quality looks superb but is an advertisement, and all adverts are flattering. I'm sure it will be great, but hold fire for now.

Only thing I didn't care for was Barney's voice.

Everything is else looks quite snazzy.

:O

I am mega pumped. I hope the gameplay lives up to the original.

Well, given that there seems to be many more scientist and security models perhaps there is only one Barney and his voice will be more similar to the regular Barney's.

They know their Half-Life lore by including the Tentacle in their first big hitting release. Nice sequence... there's a suggestion that the tentacle hears the scientist and thereafter attacks (some people never get that element of the puzzle), though I think that could be a little less subtle...

Still not 'retail quality', but of extremely promising quality. The first combat they show looks as fun as you'd hope.
If you brewed your own Coca Cola, labelled it as 'Coca Cola Source' and developed it as a for free product distributed online, would you:

a) Find yourself butt-naked, a mere 28 days older and selling sexual favours down the docks because you've been sued for everything you own.
b) Find yourself shook by the hand by the CEO of Coca Cola and paid lots of money for your efforts to create a superior tasting product in the company brand.
c) Told politely to change the name of your product but otherwise left alone.

That BM:S has been allowed to continue development of a complete rehash of someone else's product is practically unprecedented. Any developer bar Valve would have sent Cease and Desist letters back on day one. The best they can hope for beyond Valve's hands-off legitimation of the mod are the glances from developers impressed by their work that any quality mod deserves. That is payment enough. This 'charge us for this oh you mighty gods of benevolence!' talk is frankly moronic.

Looks frackin' awesome. I forgot how comically fast the pistol fired. :D

The tentacle looks very scary. I don't think I'll make it past Blast Pit. Ever.

Again i would pay for this! ****ing amazing. Cant wait to play!

They know their Half-Life lore by including the Tentacle in their first big hitting release. Nice sequence... there's a suggestion that the tentacle hears the scientist and thereafter attacks (some people never get that element of the puzzle), though I think that could be a little less subtle...

Still not 'retail quality', but of extremely promising quality. The first combat they show looks as fun as you'd hope.

If you brewed your own Coca Cola, labelled it as 'Coca Cola Source' and developed it as a for free product distributed online, would you:

a) Find yourself butt-naked, a mere 28 days older and selling sexual favours down the docks because you've been sued for everything you own.
b) Find yourself shook by the hand by the CEO of Coca Cola and paid lots of money for your efforts to create a superior tasting product in the company brand.

That BM:S has been allowed to continue development of a complete rehash of someone else's product is practically unprecedented. Any developer bar Valve would have sent Cease and Desist letters back on day one. The best they can hope for beyond Valve's hands-off legitimation of the mod are the glances from developers impressed by their work that any quality mod deserves. That is payment enough. This 'charge us for this oh you mighty gods of benevolence!' talk is frankly moronic.

This isn't "Coca-Cola: Source"

It's a fan-made re-make of a video game over a decade old. If Valve did a quality control test on it, and agreed to host it on steam, with the user paying two or three dollars for the product, then everyone benefits. The fans get a good distribution and quality control system for a very very small fee, the developers get something for all of their effort, and Valve gets a free advertisement for their product line.

Everyone wins. All for three bucks?

Hell, even those who don't want to pay are still set up. They'll just pirate it anyway. I say charge a few dollars for it.

We shall judge on release ladies, lets not get too carried away yet. Trailer quality looks superb but is an advertisement, and all adverts are flattering. I'm sure it will be great, but hold fire for now.

I find this statement rather funny as we know what we are getting. It's Half-Life for gods sake. We all know about the engine it's on, we all know the level design. We all know the story. We know the weapons and enemies. This is not a brand new IP. I don't see the risk.

At the very very minimum, you'll just be re-buying Half-Life for three dollars. Sounds good to me.

So I'll go ahead and not "Hold fire" for now. :thumbs:

EPIC.

Maybe this will be the thing to bring myself to complete HL1.

Much fewer people would pay to play HL1 after paying to play BMS than would pay to play HL1 after paying BMS for free.

Edit: WTF nib? Go play HL!

Couldn't agree more dude. Not to mention it would be extremely greedy, and gimmicky for them to charge for a mod (sorry, just my opinion). I realize they all put a lot of work into this mod, but it's just that. A fan-made modification. I mean don't get me wrong..this is some great, quality material that they made here so far, but when you start having to pay for mods, it kind of ruins the whole point, even if it is just "a small amount". Then sooner or later we end up with stupid shit like having to pay for "horse armor" in games.

If you want to support the mod team, you're always welcome to paypal them some of your personal money as a donation. Again, not to shoot the BMS team down, because they do good work, but this is not a professional product. This is a third party mod of a game that they don't even own the intellectual rights to. This and all game modifications should be free of charge. Why not just put some kind of donation link up when release time comes, and let those who want to pay, pay, and let those who feel game mods should be free, just get it and go about their business.

Really nice trailer, they have obviously put alot of work into this, cant wait to see it come out, I must say the idea of having the full half-life saga within the same sort of visual consistancy is a nice thought, playing through BMS > HL2 > Ep 1 > Ep 2 > Ep 3 would be an epic weekend.

I think the day and age of the "Total Conversion" style modification is coming to a close. Things take so many resources to make now that it just doesn't seem feasible to me. I would much prefer a swarm of organized indie developers charging bottom dollar for their product than a handful of total conversions that make it out of the woodwork. Many, poorly supported.

To me, this is one of the great benefits of Steam. I just feel it should be better taken advantage of.

This isn't "Coca-Cola: Source"
It's called analogy. Break it apart before you dismiss it entirely, because I still think you're being incredibly naive. Valve aren't going to buy up and charge for a product that sits on their intellectual property rights, especially when the work of equally diligent mod teams with years of original work behind them are being distributed entirely for free through the same service.

Only thing I didn't care for was Barney's voice.
Sounds ok to me... but that one line does sound a bit like he's trying too hard to be thoughtful in how it's acted: why the 'I dunno' pause before '20 minutes ago'? You wouldn't put that kind of specific thought time into such a saying, and considering that the original line was "half an hour ago", it sounds like the VA is making it up on the fly. I hope the acting doesn't try so hard to be natural that it zips off out of the other side of credibility.

They should ask for money at least. Reason being is that Half-Life was converted into the Source engine when HL2 was released. http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-remake-source-engine-powered/566979p1.html In fact it retails for $10 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/280/
It's certainly not the major graphical upgrade some people thought it might be, however; now that the groundwork has been laid, we're still hoping that true upgrade will come somewhere down the line.
The answer to that is by some very talented people who did what Valve didn't for free. They deserve the money regardless if people think it's a copy of HL. I know loads of people who didn't play HL because it's an ancient game. Hopefully this will be like the second coming of HL. Valve owes a big one to these people as they hopefully will re-introduce HL to the 21st century and make us find HL all over again. *This is rare too for a Source mod team to actually finish their mod, let alone look fun to play.

This "Doing Valves Job" bullshit is getting really silly, How many companies acctully bother to remake there old games? and in turn why should they?

HL:Source was never intended to be a lush remake, it was created to show the many HL1 mod teams with dying projects how they could port stuff to Source without damaging what they had created, it was bundled into the silver and gold release packages (which anyone interested would have grabbed anyway), the fact its up for sale on steam doesnt make it speacial, HL1 and HLSource cost the same, it means nothing.

Dont get me wrong im really excited to see they have made such a thing happen, but it certainly didnt NEED to happen, great games have their time, its not like the Half-Life franchise has ended.

only one word "HOLYSHITOMGWTF!!!"

the long wait was worth! This seems a lot like Valve woork: Amazing game that gets delayed several times but the delays mean extreme quality! Yeah, I can already see some of those guys going to work at Valve and this mod becoming steamworked!

I'll be completely honest, I always thought this mod would be one of those overly ambitious mods that never gets finished. I can't believe it's nearly finished and my god it looks brilliant!

Got to agree with this, with one slight difference-- what you thought I feared. :D

Also, gotta love the roach skittering across the screen in the last few seconds...

Can't wait to play this.

Back