Black Mesa Official Trailer Released

It's called analogy. Break it apart before you dismiss it entirely, because I still think you're being incredibly naive. Valve aren't going to buy up and charge for a product that sits on their intellectual property rights, especially when the work of equally diligent mod teams with years of original work behind them are being distributed entirely for free through the same service.

Your "analogy" was poor at best. You compared Coca-Cola, a continuously selling product, to Half-Life 1, a game released "once" ten years ago. You can't compare a product meant to be bought once, with one meant to be purchased over and over again. Half-Life 1 can't be expected to generate any further substantial income for Valve by itself, because most everyone has already bought it. Coca-Cola will continue to generate substantial income because everyone is going to buy it again.

You are naive, not me.

Valve is famous for bringing projects that they like in house. What is so wrong this time?

Sounds ok to me... but that one line does sound a bit like he's trying too hard to be thoughtful in how it's acted: why the 'I dunno' pause before '20 minutes ago'? You wouldn't put that kind of specific thought time into such a saying, and considering that the original line was "half an hour ago", it sounds like the VA is making it up on the fly.

The original line was ""We had a system crash about 20 minutes ago and I'm still trying to find my files."

I do agree that the "dunno" bit isn't really that necessary, but then lots of other stuff isn't necessary for this mod, but it'll still get in regardless.

The music for instance. If I was in charge of the mod they'd be either the original tracks or the Half-life 2 remixes, but they're going to the trouble of making their own original tracks, which tells you something.

Though I applaud the talents of the team behind this, they do not deserve money. If they did, then every other mod team (well, the high quality mods) also deserve it.

However, it would be great if some scored jobs because of this.

Looks amazing. Probably will be one of the few mods I actually play.

Valve is famous for bringing projects that they like in house. What is so wrong this time?

In the cases of Counter-Strike, TeamFortress and Day of Defeat, you are talking about teams of 2-4 people, BMS has a current team of around 20 people, with a list of past contributors as long as your arm, absorbing them wouldnt work, its more likely the individual mappers or modellers would reference the mod and seek general industry jobs, I dare say they have already begun attempting this anyway, not just because of this mod, but because its what they do, I also believe a couple of the team were already employed within the industry before they started BMS.

In the cases of Counter-Strike, TeamFortress and Day of Defeat, you are talking about teams of 2-4 people, BMS has a current team of around 20 people, with a list of past contributors as long as your arm, absorbing them wouldnt work, its more likely the individual mappers or modellers would reference the mod and seek general industry jobs, I dare say they have already begun attempting this anyway, not just because of this mod, but because its what they do, I also believe a couple of the team were already employed within the industry before they started BMS.

As in most cases in mods, I'm sure 15% of the team is creating 80% of the content. I still don't see why the mod itself couldn't be adopted by Valve. Not as a "Valve Product" but as another inexpensive game available through steam. As I stated before, everyone benefits.

People are just scared of paying a dollar for someone else's sweat.

Trailer looks great, lets hope the actual mod lives up to everyone's lofty expectations.

i would gladly pay $10-$15 for a beautification of my favorite FPS of all time (even more than HL2).

Wow, awesome trailer. Can't wait to try this in 2009 :D

I would also be willing to pay for something like this provided it IS a complete remake, with no cut corners. However, people are right that it isnt fair for a mod team to charge for what was originally someone elses idea. I'd still support them via donation if I had paypall or something.

awesomely awesome to the max x over 9000 :rolling::rolling:

I resonance cascaded in my pants.

Looks ace.

Tentacle bit certainly looks fantastic.

Dude...

This is going to be amazing...I have really wanted to replay HL1, but the graphics are really hard on the eyes. :) I cannot wait...

Paying someone for remaking a game that wasn't theirs to begin with is like paying for a knock-off painting created by someone else while the original artist is still alive.

While it's great that these guys are passionatly bringing HL1 to a HL2-like quality the product isn't theirs, it's fan-art at best which means they have no rights to charge for it.

Looking ****ing awesome.

Needs moar released date!!

I thought those "tentacles" were actually claws. The real monster is underneath the blast pit, which is why it attacks anything it hears, given that it cannot see anything.

EDIT: Also,

HOLYOMFWEOJFDF:LJDS!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This is Half-Life. I enjoy Half-Life 2 and it's episodes, but I feel like something was lost. Perhaps when BM:S finally comes around to releasing, they'll remind the finicky old stubborn forum trolls such as myself why they fell in love with PC Gaming in the first place.

guh-guh-guhGAYMEPLAY footage? I can barely believe my eyes. Looks like it's going to be a blast. The tentacle sequence is great. However I'll only believe the 'this mod's days in development are numbered' talk once it's released.
That crowbar animation is hilarious.
Agreed. I'm sure that'll get some work before it's released, although I do wonder why it's in the trailer in that case. Maybe the team have a little more to get completed than they think.
Only thing I didn't care for was Barney's voice.
Agreed. Sounded a little unnatural. Apart from swiftness of release, voice acting is my one remaining area of skepticism for this mod since it's something that not even most professional titles get right. If they nail it I'll be giving them massive props.
This 'charge us for this oh you mighty gods of benevolence!' talk is frankly moronic.
Agreed. Aside from all the legal complications, above all I think it would be snidey to develop something for years under the guise of it being a free mod, and then on release to say 'actually we decided our work is too good for that, time to cough up!' That'd be insulting to followers of the project, as well as fellow mod makers (to whom they'd be implicitly saying 'well of course your mod is free, just look at it...').
If you want to support the mod team, you're always welcome to paypal them some of your personal money as a donation.
Bingo.

AGREED

Wow! The trailer was great. Far exceeded my expectations. We didn't get too glimpse too much in level design but the overall production values of the maps and models are very respectable. Very respectable. Really edited the trailer well.

You compared Coca-Cola, a continuously selling product, to Half-Life 1, a game released "once" ten years ago.
But Half-Life HAS sold continuously for ten years, and recently, for about the price of a bottle of coke. :p The analogy is weak not because of this, but because anyone can make a "coke" like product, no-one can make something with the elements of Half-Life and get away with any but the vaguest levels of plagiarism, but that only strengthens my point. You wouldn't get away with wholesale abduction of Coca Cola IP, you're even less likely to get away with doing it for a software product whose elements can largely be copyrighted.
You are naive, not me.
I will eat flying pig crap the day Valve allow a mod team to charge for their own design work and intellectual property. What will you do when your sugar candy world of mod development fails to materialise?
Do they then subsequently charge for those projects after zero enhancement? No. The only measure of 'bringing projects in house' we've ever seen is the employment of deserving teams, and the free distribution of their work. It hasn't happened with new IP, why on earth would it happen with IP being held ransom by a team they haven't formally acknowledged?

it's fan-art at best which means they have no rights to charge for it.

Oh you can charge for fan art and get away with it easily. However you cannot charge for a product created using an engine you don't have a license for.

Oh you can charge for fan art and get away with it easily.
Only because it's easy to slip under the radar when your audience are a bunch of Deviant-Art emo-teens. If you sell any art based on a copyrighted character to consumers that matter, you're going to pay a f***load for doing so.

****ing awesome.

I know that we should judge the release instead, but I doubt that the whole mod will not be as great.

Good trailer. The tentacle is the first alien I've seen for this mod that I have no complaints about.

Only because it's easy to slip under the radar when your audience are a bunch of Deviant-Art emo-teens. If you sell any art based on a copyrighted character to consumers that matter, you're going to pay a f***load for doing so.

You're doing it wrong if you're creating a 1:1 copy. Fan art usually doesn't come close to a 1:1 and when cleverly done won't get you buttraped in court.

Fun trailer, but they do not deserve money. It is a mod, like any other, and in saying that it deserves money you are saying that all mods deserve money. But it is a moot argument - they will never sell it or have the opportunity to.

Very impressive trailer, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Nice editing and post processing on it. Does anyone else think the music was pretty awesome?

Omg that tentacle scene, OMG THAT TENTACLE SCENE

Excellent stuff - glad to see everyone who said this would never be released proven wrong ;). My original prediction was for a March-April 2009 release, looks like it might even be a bit earlier than that. And hey, looks like BM is coming out before Episode 3!

The pre-disaster Black Mesa will probably again seem as awesome as it did 10 years in HL. And I notice they're still refusing to show even a glimpse of the Xen levels, I have to wonder what they've got planned for those.

They know their Half-Life lore by including the Tentacle in their first big hitting release. Nice sequence... there's a suggestion that the tentacle hears the scientist and thereafter attacks (some people never get that element of the puzzle), though I think that could be a little less subtle...

I never noticed this.

Wait, so like, is this factor actually implemented in solving the Tentacle puzzle? Like if you don't fire your weapon at it, it doesn't hear you or something?

I've never noticed any suggestion to the "hearing" theory... and I always thought the red thing on the top of each tentacle was it's eyeball...

dude, how did you solve that puzzle in hl1 then? The technique was to crawl around the blast pit so as to not make any noise, and throw grenades the other way to distract the tentacles.

Back