Black Mesa Official Trailer Released

I'm not colouring you anything. All I'm pointing is that the video has been post processed, you don't have to get defensive.
And post-processed quite extensively, mark you. It is flashy. It is running across the football pitch and showing us its manboobs.

I feel that while this is not necessarily a sign of deception, it is perhaps indicative of an NS-style lack of confidence in showing the product to the public.

On the other hand, it looks pretty cool.

I feel that while this is not necessarily a sign of deception, it is perhaps indicative of an NS-style lack of confidence in showing the product to the public.
That's a somewhat unfair comparison.
NS are making their own engine and are developing a commercial product. They are properly wary about releasing gameplay footage until it's at a stage they're happy with. Also they've only labelled their videos as tech demos or in-engine, they aren't releasing some massively touched up footage as a trailer with no gameplay footage yet seen.

Wait what.
Apologies; I meant ND. I know absolutely nothing about the development of NS2.

Yeah what happened to ND? Isn't ennui a mod for their forums too?
Also as far as I knew the trailer did show a bit of gameplay footage when you see Gordon shooting with the smg and all that shit explodes.

Wait what.
Apologies; I meant ND. I know absolutely nothing about the development of NS2.

Ah no worries.
For a minute I thought I'd have to organise a hit. NS2 is above and beyond criticism.

pssst.
Hey guys....

We've had a dev in this thread tell us it's not PP'ed.

GG lads :p

edit:
http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=devargumentul4.jpg

my.php

The dynamic infestation in NS2 looks like total win. So yeah. Apart from the Valve-ish development times, nothing to blame Unknown Worlds for.

I think this mod looks awesome. But I'll be damned if I have to pay for it. :angry:

=[ he's gone.

Remind me and I might be able to some other time.
What about the camera? As in does it stick to the player when we play it?

Either way, using a camera from a different perspective =/= PP XD

I hope the player's view isn't as disjointed from the weapon as it seems in the video. :\

The crowbar animation is the only really annoying thing for me.

I thought Valve bought GMod, and it stopped being a Mod, and became a "Valve Product"... so to speak.

well obviously it's valve's engine so they can choose to make exceptions here and there for stuff like Garry's mod, but people wanting to go it alone have to buy a license (which for the EP2 build was $300,000, I don't know if it's changed as they're updating it for L4D / EP3) and then they'll get access to tier0 stuff as well.

That's not the point. To say it's illegal to sell mods is incorrect. Valve allows mod creators to sell their products on Steam.

I think what he was saying was that it's illegal to sell mods outside of Steam. Valve won't pick up Black Mesa and put it on Steam for a price for a number of logical, rational reasons -- and they would be fools if they did -- so ultimately, Black Mesa will never, ever be sold.

I thought Valve bought GMod, and it stopped being a Mod, and became a "Valve Product"... so to speak.

No, it was not bought by Valve. It is not a Valve product. The profits are split 50/50.

Valve won't pick up Black Mesa and put it on Steam for a price for a number of logical, rational reasons -- and they would be fools if they did -- so ultimately, Black Mesa will never, ever be sold.

I would like to hear those reasons. I'm sure there was a time when the idea of selling a mod that was just a bunch of tools to play around with existing game assets was illogical as well.

That scientist in the preview is starting to look more and more like a bearded Rick Moranis each time I visit the front page.

I think what he was saying was that it's illegal to sell mods outside of Steam. Valve won't pick up Black Mesa and put it on Steam for a price for a number of logical, rational reasons -- and they would be fools if they did -- so ultimately, Black Mesa will never, ever be sold.

Reasons such as? I don't think it's a huge stretch for Valve to adopt BM. It'd make HL: Source look bad? Oh well... I think a modern remake of HL1 is exactly something that could be popular and sell. I wouldn't be surprised to see Valve hire some of the team later, too. Black Mesa sure has a lot more inherent appeal than Garry's Mod.

One of the most talked about mods reveals an official trailer today, also stating their release isn't far off. It looks brilliant. Black Mesa website.
This officially concludes our media release, but not future updates! And as stated in the trailer, the days this mod stays in development are truly numbered. Hang tight, because at long last, it is coming.
<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGlhgVz5r6E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGlhgVz5r6E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>​

Holy shit.

But seriously, doesn't the Black Mesa dress code require Barneys to shave?

Reasons such as? I don't think it's a huge stretch for Valve to adopt BM. It'd make HL: Source look bad? Oh well... I think a modern remake of HL1 is exactly something that could be popular and sell. I wouldn't be surprised to see Valve hire some of the team later, too. Black Mesa sure has a lot more inherent appeal than Garry's Mod.

It is a massive stretch - the very idea of it is completely illogical and foolish. It has nothing to do with Half-life Source, but rather to do with Half-life, a game Valve made, the Golden Oldie. Black Mesa will never replace Half-life from a financial stand point. Valve simply would not let that happen and it simply isn't marketable..."Here's a mod remake of our game - accept it as canon!" If Valve wanted to remake Half-life, they would, and they would remake it in their own vision, through their own team, because Half-life belongs to Valve. If I had made something, and someone went ahead and remade it so many years later, would I replace it with that? Absolutely not. The idea is completely insane. They do not deserve money and they will not get money.

What is more, whilst there's clearly some talent on the team, remaking Half-life is purely a skill from the technical standpoint. You cannot escape the fact that you are remaking other peoples work. From a creative standpoint it means absolutely nothing. If they were making an original mod, with new gameplay elements that started from a basis of absolutely nothing but their own imagination, maybe then we could entertain the thought. But for this? A remake? Don't make me laugh.

Hey, I made same thing like you, with that new tools you gave me. Wanna buy?

You cannot escape the fact that you are remaking other peoples work. From a creative standpoint it means absolutely nothing.
I'm guessing if I was to run down a hallway I wouldn't be creative according to your logic.

It is a massive stretch - the very idea of it is completely illogical and foolish. It has nothing to do with Half-life Source, but rather to do with Half-life, a game Valve made, the Golden Oldie. Black Mesa will never replace Half-life from a financial stand point. Valve simply would not let that happen and it simply isn't marketable..."Here's a mod remake of our game - accept it as canon!" If Valve wanted to remake Half-life, they would, and they would remake it in their own vision, through their own team, because Half-life belongs to Valve. If I had made something, and someone went ahead and remade it so many years later, would I replace it with that? Absolutely not. The idea is completely insane. They do not deserve money and they will not get money.

What is more, whilst there's clearly some talent on the team, remaking Half-life is purely a skill from the technical standpoint. You cannot escape the fact that you are remaking other peoples work. From a creative standpoint it means absolutely nothing. If they were making an original mod, with new gameplay elements that started from a basis of absolutely nothing but their own imagination, maybe then we could entertain the thought. But for this? A remake? Don't make me laugh.

While Valve probably won't purchase this mod, I don't see why they couldn't put it on Steam and promote it the same way they did with Garry's Mod. I mean, the Steam page for Garry's Mod has the G-Man in a bathtub with balloons for god's sake. By promoting the mod, it doesn't mean that they would be calling it canon. I think it's unfair to call this mod unoriginal or uncreative until you've actually played it.

Yes. There is no discernible difference between forms; all things are open to atomism and all propositions are vulnerable to reductio ad absurdum.

When was the last time you sold your feet, though?

If I sold them, I wouldn't be able to see them.
Thus copying more games.

I am so going to prison.

Back