Brink Previews

be28adfff47893c4519c1307dc6b8866_M.jpg

After some delay, we have finally got the much anticipated responses to the Brink Q&A interview we submitted to Splash Damage last year. The responses answer many peoples concerns about certain aspects of the game, and they have somehow managed to make us even more eager to play the game than ever before. If this game isn’t the stand out game of 2011 I will eat my customized beanie hat.

Now onto the Brink interview with Steve Hessel (Community Relations Manager) for Splash Damage:

Q1. Starting off with a little background on yourself, could you tell us what you do at Splash Damage and what you are currently working on.
My name is Steve Hessel and I’m the Community Relations Manager for Splash Damage, though people on the Internet will probably be more familiar with my handle ‘badman’. In a nutshell, I am the link between the online community and the Splash development team. In practice that means keeping the Splash Damage website and forums updated and running, liaising with fans sites and tournament organizers, and, naturally, keeping the community informed about what’s happening in the world of Brink. I also work closely with the rest of the Media Team here at Splash Damage, as well as the marketing and PR folks at Bethesda to support their respective efforts.

Q2. With all the great press Brink has been getting from the Eurogamer Expo and others, what do you think sets it apart from other first person shooters on the market.
Brink brings several new things to the table that players really haven’t seen in previous shooters. For starters, there’s the blurring of single player and multiplayer into a new type of game, where you can seamlessly transition from playing by yourself with AI-controlled teammates to full-blown competitive multiplayer. Then there’s our extensive character customization system. We’ve got dozens of unlockable abilities that let you build a character specializing in the things that you enjoy doing in the game. You can also customize every single weapon in the game with a myriad of attachments to create your perfect arsenal. This aspect of Brink is really all about personalization and turning it into something that really suits a player’s unique gameplay style.We’re also really happy with how the SMART (Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain) system turned out. One general misconception is that SMART somehow plays the game for you or takes the skill out of movement. On the contrary! SMART opens up tons of additional routes to gameplay and adds a whole new level of tactical depth that we know players will have tons of fun exploring.

Finally, there’s the automated mission system, which builds on what we had in Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars and kicks it up about three notches. If you‘re lost or don’t know what to do next, just bring up the Objective Wheel and it will suggest a bunch of useful things you can be doing at that point -- and then it’ll even tell you where to go. It’s such a helpful thing to have in the game, especially for those who’ve never played the Enemy Territory titles. Of course, I’ve got to mention Brink’s gorgeous art style as well, which ties all of this together beautifully.

Head over to Brink Addict to see the full 12 questions.

I use them on your mom daily :V

it's really awesome

Also nice Q&A Dodger, impressed with how you've been maintaining the webby

I've got copies pre-ordered for both the 360 and PC.

Have more friends that'll get it on the 360, so currently leaning towards that.

Not to mention FPSes on the 360s have far less problems with cheaters than the PC versions tend to have.

It looks really fun. TF2 meets Enemy Territory. I am very close to pre-ordering this.

It does seem really cool but I need a demo first to confirm any purchase intentions =s

i'm just not enough of a multiplayer kind of gamer tbh =/
I really dont like the multiplayer for halo, gears and call of duty but i really like battlefield and day of defeat, maybe i'm more objective-type inclined or something o_O

I really dont like the multiplayer for halo, gears and call of duty but i really like battlefield and day of defeat, maybe i'm more objective-type inclined or something o_O

Not trying to sway you, but if anything this will be an objective-type game. Splash Damage did it before with Quake Wars and Enemy Territory. It is kinda their thing.

It looks really fun. TF2 meets Enemy Territory. I am very close to pre-ordering this.

I'd say TF2 meets Mirror's Edge, but either way it looks damn good. This, BF3, and Portal 2 are the only games I'm excited for so far this year.

[edit] Lambda, you'd probably like this game. It's very heavy on teamwork. You gain more XP from kills simply by being nearer to your teammates and objectives.

I wish it would be possible for them to make it so that your characters were "transferrable" or cloud-stored so you could jump from a console copy to a PC copy of the game and retain your character.

If it was I'd totally get it on both platforms so I could play it with all my friends.

Not trying to sway your anything, but if anything this will be an objective-type game. Splash Damage did it before with Quake Wars and Enemy Territory. It is kinda their thing.

[edit] Lambda, you'd probably like this game. It's very heavy on teamwork. You gain more XP from kills simply by being nearer to your teammates and objectives.

That's good to kno cos i think it does look really good after all :LOL:

definitely want a demo tho, if not i'll rent it to try it out first :)

Hrm, noticed a tiny detail that annoyed me in the trailer, when you see the medic firing the handgun, in third-person he is firing it with both hands on the gun, in first-person he seems to be holding it with only one hand.

I know it's silly to care about it but it seems like a thing that could be so easily fixed.

Actually, some of the animations seem a bit off, like getting up after using adrenaline (or whatever it is), or some of the shooting animations. Also it seems as if there were non-ragdoll death animations? It can work if done well, but some of those deaths looked weird.

I don't like how you can get yourself back up, but everything else looks great. Looking forward to it :D

I'm waiting for as many reviews as possible for this game, it looks interesting but I'm not too sure about it yet. Anyone on the fence about buying it within the first week?

I really like the style and atmosphere of the game, but the respawning class based single player gameplay looks kinda lame. Generally when people try to reinvent the FPS the results are a let down..

The gunplay looked a little ropey. I'm still looking forward to this, but I'll wait on reviews and maybe a couple full gameplay videos.

I'm a big fan of Splash Damage and actually loved Quake Wars, so I pre-ordered as soon as I could on Steam. I doubt it could be all bad - after all, I'm the dude who has 100+ hours in just about every mindless shooter out there.

Looking forward to it big time.

The gunplay looked a little ropey.

Yeah... I'm not sure I like the "feel" of the game as exhibited in these videos. There's every possibility it'll be much nicer to play, but even the framerate doesn't seem to hold steady.

For a game that's been in production this long I would've expected some better animations. The molotov animation for one wasn't very good in my opinion, seemed to quick and robotic. And the ensuing explosion was a big letdown. I know the game isn't striving for realism and realistic graphics but it still could've been better. Furthermore, the pistol firing looked like the guys arms were made of metal and attached to a wall.

this either gonna really awesome or complete or waste of time

I'll probably pre-order, waste a ridiculous amount of time on it, get bored, never play it again. That's how it usually goes for me with games like this.

Got both the PC and 360 versions pre-ordered, will definitely pick up one of them on day one.

Drackard, same, I played CoD: Black Ops in MP until I got to Level 1, Prestige 1, then I got bored with it and never touched it again.

I wish Splash Damage would just remake RTCW:ET, no gameplay changes or anything just give it a new coat of paint (and release it for free again). :naughty:

I don't care if they are.

This is great news either way since this means I won't have to decide between which to play first.

Brilliant news now i wont have to choose between this and LA Noire.

Are they afraid of LA Noire?

Your damn right they are! Smart move from Bethesda everyone has been moaning online for them to move the date; now they wont get absolutely crushed by LA Noire.

EDIT:
ikol3K.png

;_; i worry for the success of this game quite frankly too many people keep asking for a demo and now there wont be one is very disappointing and not conducive for a new IP's long term success. Plus I am not much of a MP gamer tbh so I needed a demo to convince me personally. Still really interested in this but now really wary too =/

Looking a little better than the last I saw of it. Maybe it's just because I'm on adderall, but the gunplay looks smoother too.

Looks better, but good christ could anyone else follow that? I thought they were trying to make this newbie friendly.

I had a bit of trouble parsing the objective wheel stuff, and I got confused about "challenges" somehow also being objectives or something, but everything else was pretty straightforward.

it still looks really good to me and i could follow the vid well enough but i do admit if you need a detailed tutorial video in parts no less to tell people how to play the game, you're maybe doing it wrong =s

Something about this is giving me the same uneasy feeling in my stomach that I got prior to Quake Wars being released. Hopefully my fears are unfounded because I have been looking forward to this game for the last couple of years now.

I lost my excitement for this game at some point. I think that happens any time stuff is released a thousand months before the game is released. I'd require a demo just to motivate me to buy it anywhere near release...

Back